The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
.A.
how about oscilloscope used for hall voltage. ?

Never heard of that to be honest, care to elaborate?
Reply 181
Arsenal4life
this site is really handy =)..ill be thinking of you all when i open up that exam paper and see none of the hints were correct :P

How sweet of you :p: lol...:smile:
Reply 182
hey one question
in june 2002 paper, planning question

I=k(cosO)n 'n' power ok

so we should be using 'log' here right? but in the marking scheme its written 'ln'

how is it? ln is used when quantities r decreasing exponentially ,but here its not , so y r we using ln then???

HOW DO WE KNOW WHEN TO USE LOG AND WHEN TO USE ln?
lol i know its been explained before
but can anybody give me an idiot proof guide of why and how you calibrate a hall probe
o i hate physics cant wait till maths tho
Reply 184
njds13
hey one question

I=k(cosO)n 'n' power ok

so we should be using 'log' here right? but in the marking scheme its written 'ln'

how is it? ln is used when quantities r decreasing exponentially ,but here its not , so y r we using ln then???

It doesnt matter whether you use ln or log to be honest because most markscheme's would have put both in their results, if they've just used ln, then using log would gain you the marks too, dont worry.

ln x = log x/log e
log x = ln x/ln 10

I=k(cos0)^n

ln I = ln k(cos0)^n

ln I = ln k + nln(cos0)

The bases are irrelavent because they are just constants. Ln x is just log base e, where as log x is conventially known as log base 10.

Something like log base 9 for example is = log x/log 9
Remember this. You can ALWAYS use ln.

Only use log on equations that don't have an "e". If it does have an e, use ln.

It's best to always use ln, which is what I do.
Reply 186
njds13
hey one question

I=k(cosO)n 'n' power ok

I don't think it really matters, ln is a log to base e so your answer should not be affected, your straigth line graph may look a little different but any gardientr or intercept you get should be the same wether you use ln or log to base 10, personally i would use ln
Reply 187
About the capacitors question, what do you guys think might come? The only possible question that I think could come is to time the charging of a capacitor, plot the graph of current against time and divide the area under the graph with the voltage to find the capacitance. That being said how can we accurately time the fall in current. Do we start timing as soon as we complete the circuit and until we reach the appropriate value and then stop? Is there a more accurate method?
yes, you time it for a set period of time, but i think you recharge it, then redo the whole thing and find an average value
Guys could really do with some urgent URGENT help, how is a wire forced to oscillate between two magnadur magnets? Would appreciate the help sooooooo much, cheers
yeah thanks gorilla for checking, infact they are meant to be that way, one of my old friend is half way across the world and still has the same time and that what the teacher said ..BUT :P a friend of mine refuses to believe that and says its all a conspiracy! loL, had me laughing coz its crazy enough to be true...BUT :P now i have literal/physical proof against him , HA!

Arsenal4life
this site is really handy =)..ill be thinking of you all when i open up that exam paper and see none of the hints were correct :P

+1/WIN.

:tsr2:
Reply 191
MOBA X
You can answer such questions in two ways, firstly you can calculate the accepted margin of error based on your experimental uncertainty as you have said.secondly you could calculate the percentage difference between your experimental value and the accepted value given in the question, if this percentage difference is less than your experimental uncertainty then the values obviously correspond otherwise they do not.

And by margin of error, you mean percentage error, right? Because I dont see how we can compare a numerical error with a percentage error. Also when we multiply or divide two measurements, we add the percentage error right? And the subsequent error is still in percent?

It just struck me that I said error 6 times in less than 4 lines. :tsr2:
Reply 192
rite im def sure Q on how 2 calibrate a hall probe is cumin up
it would beenfit us all if ne1 nos xacly how 2 calibrate 1 lol
cheers
Reply 193
continuing with the log/ln thing, how are the units affected. whats the best way to write the units?

example:

time period t/secounds
flux density B/Tesla

how do the above change once theyve been 'ln'
ln of anything has no units
Reply 195
Log(base 10)x = y
=10(to the power of y) = x

So y is an exponent and cant have a unit
Reply 196
hall probe callibration?!?!
Reply 197
nd ure all rong by ln ting the unit stays the sme it ses so in all mark schemes where u av 2 convert 2 ln
i hate it when the invidulators stare at you doing your practical
makes me feel like im doing things wrong - i become paranoid
Reply 199
on exam papers where they have already labeled the axis on a graph i have seen them write ln(B/Tesla), so i think its just the same

Latest