The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Do not apply to Aberdeen as an EU student

I applied here, had a predicted IB score of 42 points and did not get an offer which is said to be 32 points because they gave out too many unconditional offers. Would not advise EU students to apply there...
Reply 1
Welcome to Scotland.
Jokes apart, they have a quota for EU students as fees are almost non existent there.
They prefer international and RUK students as they pay much more money. Sad but true.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by 1Person
Welcome to Scotland.
Jokes apart, they have a quota for EU students as fees are almost non existent there.
They prefer international and RUK students as they pay much more money. Sad but true.

Yeah I'm aware of that, that's why I applied. But hey, I can get free education in Austria too so I don't mind. I already got an offer from Glasgow which has higher requirements..
Reply 3
Original post by Jasminlucia
Yeah I'm aware of that, that's why I applied. But hey, I can get free education in Austria too so I don't mind. I already got an offer from Glasgow which has higher requirements..

Since you applied there and also took the time to write a thread to inform EU people not to apply to Aberdeen then probably you mind a little.
Isn't Glasgow supposed to be better than Aberdeen anyways?
Reply 4
Original post by 1Person
Since you applied there and also took the time to write a thread to inform EU people not to apply to Aberdeen then probably you mind a little.
Isn't Glasgow supposed to be better than Aberdeen anyways?

Yeah, it is better. I do mind just because I don't think it is entirely fair to prefer people who pay more, but that's how it works.. For an EU student it may be worth knowing, that is really hard to get in, I guess. I would just rather go to the UK tho, as my schools were all in English for the last 6 years. Also I got an offer for Exeter, so maybe that is worth taking into consideration but I don't want to graduate with student debt and my parents are probably only offering to pay for accommodation.
Wow, how unfair.

I decided not to apply there (even though I really want to study in Scotland) because I looked at the stats for medicine, which I'm applying to, and it said they only accepted 13 EU students out of 414 who applied in 2016...
Reply 6
I do mind just because I don't think it is entirely fair to prefer people who pay more, but that's how it works.

Universities are businesses. The more you pay the greater your chances to get in.
Reply 7
Original post by 1Person
Universities are businesses. The more you pay the greater your chances to get in.

Spot on! Sad but true - if you look at the 'Entry Requirements' (in terms of A Levels) and then in terms of Scottish Highers or (in my case) Franch Bac, there is a huge difference - they will accept a much lower level at 'A' level! Why? Because they will be contributing £9250 per year, Scot/EU only £1850!
I'm predicted 6 H1s in Irish Leaving Certificate (highest grade possible) and applied for English and German at Aberdeen which asks for 2 H2s and 3 H3s, got rejected today as they said they had given out too many unconditionals...so gutted, I don't know what we EU students have to do to get in!
Reply 9
Original post by GI GI
Spot on! Sad but true - if you look at the 'Entry Requirements' (in terms of A Levels) and then in terms of Scottish Highers or (in my case) Franch Bac, there is a huge difference - they will accept a much lower level at 'A' level! Why? Because they will be contributing £9250 per year, Scot/EU only £1850!

They shouldn't be though. In Austria, Germany and possibly even Switzerland everyone pays the same price which I believe is like 500 Euros a year. It is like that for foreigners too.
Original post by rosaleen538
I'm predicted 6 H1s in Irish Leaving Certificate (highest grade possible) and applied for English and German at Aberdeen which asks for 2 H2s and 3 H3s, got rejected today as they said they had given out too many unconditionals...so gutted, I don't know what we EU students have to do to get in!

You can still apply to universities in the Netherlands if you want to btw, but yeah we don't really stand a chance...
Reply 11
They shouldn't be though. In Austria, Germany and possibly even Switzerland everyone pays the same price which I believe is like 500 Euros a year. It is like that for foreigners too.

In France the 'fees' are only a couple of hundred Euros a year and, I believe, the reason Scottish Unis offer reduced fees to EU students is because of a reciprocal arrangement - Scottish students can study at EU Unis for little or no fees, although I'd imagine very few would actually want to. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for and, if you need confirmation, just take a look at the 'Top 100 Universities in Europe' list where the UK dominates. In France, State Universities are chronically under-funded - I went to the Bordeaux Uni Open Day a few weeks ago and, if I took up a place there, which anyone who passes their Bac with a 10/20 could, I would be studying in a converted multi-storey car park (and not very well converted at that!). However, if you manage to get yourself into a 'Grand Ecole', you will pay through the nose and not only benefit from much better facilities and teaching but probably set yourself up for life! For a Republic, they seem to have lost sight of the 'Equality' bit from the Liberty, Fraternity, Equality mantra as far as education is concerned and all the 'future elite' in the fields of Politics, Civil Service and the Military will have attended a Grand Ecole! (Which, I supose, is similar to Oxbridge but at least in UK there is no pretence that it's not an elitist system!)
I have an offer from Aberdeen, and I'm an EU student. They're the only Scottish uni I was able to apply to as the others I was considering (St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow) all required two science A-levels whereas Aberdeen only requires one. I did the French bac L so am doing a biology A-level in addition to that this year.

And what @GI GI said about French unis is so true. I don't really want to be attending a lecture with another thousand students and not even a place to sit down. I was considering Montpellier but (besides the fact that I'm not a fan of the course) the teaching is just not at the same standard as it is in the UK.
Same thing for me:

"After careful consideration, we regret to advise your application is unsuccessful due to the limited number of places for those who are Home Fees (Scottish/EU). Due to the number of unconditional offers issued we can't make a conditional offer."

I mean, I wasted one of my 5 choices for university that didn't even consider me properly.. Even if you have good extracurriculars and can demonstrate your passion for the subject, it doesn't matter, because apparently other people already have their grades.

Now I'm without an insurance choice. I have quite high offer from Glasgow and still waiting for Edinburgh and St Andrews, but even if they give me offer, it will be as high as Glasgow.
Original post by GI GI

It doesn't seem fair if people are being discriminated against but neither is it fair for the A level students that have to pay £9250 a year while other people doing the same course only pay £1850.

The system sucks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending