The Student Room Group

Self-teaching Maths A level...

I've always been pretty rubbish at maths, got a C at GCSE which I took in 2004 and have subsequently forgotten EVERYTHING that it involved.

Yet, and call me crazy, I'd like to self-teach A level maths next year.

How hard is it really? Do you think I'd be able to do this, or would it just be too difficult? How much of GCSE maths would I need to know in order to do it, or would it be possible to learn the A level without remembering much of the GCSE?

I'm going to be self-teaching another, much easier, A level along with it but I will only be working part-time so I'll have a fair amount of time to concentrate on it.

But I still don't know if that's enough... I don't know if I'd be able to afford a tutor, maybe just for the couple of weeks/months before the exam but I'd probably use a company such as Oxford Open Learning or ICS so wouldn't be totally on my own.

Soooo, anyway. Good/bad idea? Worst idea you've ever heard? Opinions please.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What grade are you aiming for? An 'A'?

It'll be hard if you only achieved a C at GCSE; but doable.
Reply 2
I tried but decieded to leave it..its really complex to learn yourself...then again i was trying to do it in a very short time...i suppose it can be done
Reply 3
An A would be fantastic, but realistically I'd be happy with a B.

I'd have approximately six months. Starting the work near the end of June, taking the exams in January.
Reply 4
You want to self tech yourself a whole maths A level in 6 months having achieved grade C at GCSE? Hmm it'll be challenging certainly but meh challenges are fun. Go for it :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yes, I'm a masochist lol.

It's just a possibility, I might not do it. I just wanted to see if it would be possible.
Reply 6
Good luck if you choose to do it, it'll be tough but satisfying!
Though I don't think I'd have been able to do the subject without a teacher showing me how to apply the methods, as I like most maths demonstrated..
Reply 7
Hmm, maybe I'll try getting a tutor or doing night classes instead then...

there must be some way I could do it.
AS should be easy, and you can make life easier by picking the easy application modules such as S1 and M1.
C4 might prove a bit tricky because of the integration, but as long as you can put the hours in it should be doable. Try to score high on the easy AS modules, makes life alot easier.
And the Maths help here is fantastic. On TSR you will be able to get advice and explanation on any questions you have! Don't worry, give it a shot. Even if you just get a pass, its something you didn't have before and hence it is worthwhile :smile:

Good luck! :hugs:
Reply 9
Challenges are fun. I honestly am not that good at maths (rubbish in my class, anyway), but have always liked it. I managed to get an A at GCSE by revising the night before!

For A level, you have to put more work in - e.g. doing papers and stuff. Even then, I got lazy during holidays and stuff and just couldn't sustain the effort. However, I have managed to get Bs in C1 and C2. Admittedly, I got a D in S1... but am hoping to balance that out by doing well in C3, C4 and M1 (the modules I'm taking this summer). C3 isn't too bad... I'm aiming for a B in that... plus I have 3 weeks to be working on them. I think that should be enough time to understand C4, anyway. The only problem is M1 because my exam is next week and I don't fully understand the principles. But I have heard that it's quite straightforward, and intend to master it this weekend. :wink:

Basically, I'm not good at Maths at all but am still predicted and am aiming for a B at A level. And it is definitely worth a shot for you to do it, at least.
Reply 10
I got an a* at GCSE a year early, then did additional maths last year and am now doing the AS and I am struggling!
there is a lot of content and it's not like GCSE where 65% would get you a decent grade, it's all about accuracy and you lose marks for the smallest things.
Despite having maths 4 times a week there is still a hell of a lot of work to do outside of school, and this is with perfectly decent teachers.

You can try to teach it to yourself, and good luck! But it's not an easy a level by any means and would require a lot of patience.
Reply 11
vixky!
I've always been pretty rubbish at maths, got a C at GCSE which I took in 2004 and have subsequently forgotten EVERYTHING that it involved.

How hard is it really? Do you think I'd be able to do this, or would it just be too difficult? How much of GCSE maths would I need to know in order to do it, or would it be possible to learn the A level without remembering much of the GCSE?

I'm going to be self-teaching another, much easier, A level along with it but I will only be working part-time so I'll have a fair amount of time to concentrate on it.

But I still don't know if that's enough... I don't know if I'd be able to afford a tutor, maybe just for the couple of weeks/months before the exam but I'd probably use a company such as Oxford Open Learning or ICS so wouldn't be totally on my own.

I self-taught myself As maths with just a book. I'd say definately get in touch with ICS, or NEC or something and think about it.
I am pretty bad at maths but the only way I've managed to so it myself was with my mum who has a degree in maths and stuff, so she was able to help me, otherwise I would have had no chance.
The problem with a long distance tutoring service is that it can sometimes take a long time to get answers from them (I've had experience with NEC..) and also maths is a subject that really needs someone who knows what they're doing to sit down and explain it to you, if you know what I mean. I think it may be hard if the person explaining it to you was only on the end of a computer/phone.
I don't want to discourage you, but I've found the As course pretty hard, as I said I'm not great at maths. I have had had no experience with the A2, but I expect its harder.
If you think you can do it, go ahead though.
good luck
:smile:
Reply 12
The Sherminator
AS should be easy, and you can make life easier by picking the easy application modules such as S1 and M1.
C4 might prove a bit tricky because of the integration, but as long as you can put the hours in it should be doable. Try to score high on the easy AS modules, makes life alot easier.
And the Maths help here is fantastic. On TSR you will be able to get advice and explanation on any questions you have! Don't worry, give it a shot. Even if you just get a pass, its something you didn't have before and hence it is worthwhile :smile:

Good luck! :hugs:

Thank you for your reply. That's encouraging to hear. :smile: I don't mind putting the work in and I know I'd struggle, but you've proved it would be possible so thank you! :biggrin:

cdeu12
Challenges are fun. I honestly am not that good at maths (rubbish in my class, anyway), but have always liked it. I managed to get an A at GCSE by revising the night before!

For A level, you have to put more work in - e.g. doing papers and stuff. Even then, I got lazy during holidays and stuff and just couldn't sustain the effort. However, I have managed to get Bs in C1 and C2. Admittedly, I got a D in S1... but am hoping to balance that out by doing well in C3, C4 and M1 (the modules I'm taking this summer). C3 isn't too bad... I'm aiming for a B in that... plus I have 3 weeks to be working on them. I think that should be enough time to understand C4, anyway. The only problem is M1 because my exam is next week and I don't fully understand the principles. But I have heard that it's quite straightforward, and intend to master it this weekend. :wink:

Basically, I'm not good at Maths at all but am still predicted and am aiming for a B at A level. And it is definitely worth a shot for you to do it, at least.

Congrats on the good grades! You're obviously better at maths than you think.

Thanks for your post! I'm starting to feel like it might be worth a try. :smile:

Jennay
I got an a* at GCSE a year early, then did additional maths last year and am now doing the AS and I am struggling!
there is a lot of content and it's not like GCSE where 65% would get you a decent grade, it's all about accuracy and you lose marks for the smallest things.
Despite having maths 4 times a week there is still a hell of a lot of work to do outside of school, and this is with perfectly decent teachers.

You can try to teach it to yourself, and good luck! But it's not an easy a level by any means and would require a lot of patience.

Thanks for this. It does sound like it will be a struggle. I think I'll consider doing it some more but will look into getting proper tuition. I think doing it by myself would be hard enough if I were good at maths, so considering I'm not it might be just that much more difficult.

What's My Name?
I self-taught myself As maths with just a book. I'd say definately get in touch with ICS, or NEC or something and think about it.
I am pretty bad at maths but the only way I've managed to so it myself was with my mum who has a degree in maths and stuff, so she was able to help me, otherwise I would have had no chance.
The problem with a long distance tutoring service is that it can sometimes take a long time to get answers from them (I've had experience with NEC..) and also maths is a subject that really needs someone who knows what they're doing to sit down and explain it to you, if you know what I mean. I think it may be hard if the person explaining it to you was only on the end of a computer/phone.
I don't want to discourage you, but I've found the As course pretty hard, as I said I'm not great at maths. I have had had no experience with the A2, but I expect its harder.
If you think you can do it, go ahead though.
good luck
:smile:

Thanks! It's good to hear the bad side of things so I make sure I don't waste my time and money. I'd much rather do it in a classroom situation but as I only got a C at GCSE most places wouldn't take me as a full-time student and that'd take up my entire year. I can't find any evening classes either so that's not an option.

As I said above to someone else though, I think I'll consider it more but will look into getting some proper tuition as I think doing it completely alone will be too much of a struggle.

:biggrin:

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate the replies.
Good luck then. And if you ever need help, you know there is a Maths forum here at your disposable!

Tell us how you get on :biggrin:
vixky!

I'm not sure it's as easy as you might think :s-smilie:

I got an A* at GCSE, but trying to teach myself is a nightmare (I'm still at school, so I probably have more time to spend on it than you will). However, my school doesn't have a sixth form, so I'm working with a neighbouring college to get some points clarified by email. It's still not as good as sitting in lessons, but at least I've got someone else to support me - and it's been invaluable. I think you need to make some links first...
I don't want to be overly negative but I think it would be a hell of an achievement for you to attain a pass grade at A Level in 6 months coming from a starting position of a C at GCSE in 2004.

A Level Maths is a LOT more difficult than GCSE and students who attained A and A* at GCSE do not always cope with the transition. Remember, most A Level students have two years to build up their algebra skills and are being taught the content.

To have even the slightest chance, you ought to be able to answer most of the following questions:

a) Expand (x + 2) (3x - 1)

b) Factorise 12a² + 9ab

c) State the gradient of the straight line y = 2x - 3

d) Use the quadratic formula to solve 2x² + 4x - 1

e) Solve + 3y + 2 = 0

f) Solve the inequality 4x > 2x + 1

g) Calculate, to 2 decimal places, the longest side of a right angled triangle if the two shorter sides are 5 cm and 6 cm.

h) Calculate, to 3 significant figures, the area of a scalene triangle with two sides of lengths 3 cm and 7 cm and an included angle of 40 degrees.

i) Calculate the area and perimeter of a semicircle of radius 5 cm.

j) Rearrange the formula p = 4q + 2 to make q the subject.

k) Solve the simultaneous equations 2p + q = 5 and 3p - 2q = 20
Having not done maths for 4 years, I do not believe she will be able to recall that. But I see your point.

It will be hard, she knows that though, she is willing to put the effort, and then the consequences will be seen. The effort is the first step though :smile:
I think you can do it!

I am teaching myself French and Physics both iGCSEs by myself at home in just under 6 months. I also go to college and have a job, so yep anything's possible!
Reply 18
It will take a lot of effort, especially trying to do 6 modules but like anything if you're willing to put the work in, it will be fine :smile:
Reply 19
I'd think really hard about it.
There's a class at my school for people doing A-level maths in one year and then going on to further maths.
basically, these people all got A*s at GCSE when they were in year 9, then did GCSE Additional Maths, now have 10 hours a week of maths lessons with decent teachers. Even they couldn't manage the whole A-level in 6 months, and they're like MATHS GENIUSES. (yeah, they're annoying!)
i'm not saying there's no way you can do it, i just think you'll need more than 6 months to do it in.

Latest