The Student Room Group

Social Work MA at Hull university

Does anyone currently do MA Social work at Hull university? I’ve been offered a place and I really liked the uni but my only problem is I’d be commuting an hour drive to get there and back as I can’t afford to live away again for masters. Does anyone know what the time table is like or can give me a specimen one? I want to know how often I’d be commuting if I took the place. I know placement is 5 days but I’ve been told they do have placements closer to my home so that wouldn’t be too much of an issue IF I got a placement in those areas.
Hi! I've been offered a place too and also have the same questions on timetable and placement! Is the placement definitely 5 days a week? and when do we start our placements? I will also be commuting from around an hour away, but trying to hold down my part-time job for as long as possible to help with funding and paying my house bills :frown:
Reply 2
Yeah it’s 5 days a week or I think some places are one day lecture a week and 4 days placement not sure when it is in the first year but I think in the second year it’s from March to July! And yeah that’s the same for me trying to work at the same time!
Original post by Emberrypie
Hi! I've been offered a place too and also have the same questions on timetable and placement! Is the placement definitely 5 days a week? and when do we start our placements? I will also be commuting from around an hour away, but trying to hold down my part-time job for as long as possible to help with funding and paying my house bills :frown:
hi I know this does not answer your questions but I have been selected for the MA social work selection day. I was wondering if you could help me understand what the written test entails and how hard the questions were and if there is any thing I could research to help me to prepare pleaseHow did you find the day?
It’s a super long day! I was last to be interviewed so I didn’t leave until 5.15pm! You start off with the written test. Choice of 3 questions and you pick 1. They’re fairly straight forward questions. Time goes by fast (45mins) so make a little plan of what you want to answer the question with and stick to it for guidance. Then you have the group interviews, it’s more like an informal discussion so it’s nothing to worry about! Then break for lunch. Then the individual ones where you’re all in a big room but get called in one by one. They chose the order of individual interviews by how far you’ve travelled I.e the furthest goes in first etc. Just think about why you want to become a social worker, implications of the job and what experiences you already have that you can put forward to make you a good social worker. It really isn’t too daunting once you get started.
Original post by kylieg123
hi I know this does not answer your questions but I have been selected for the MA social work selection day. I was wondering if you could help me understand what the written test entails and how hard the questions were and if there is any thing I could research to help me to prepare pleaseHow did you find the day?
Thank you I just panic I really like to be prepared and I'm worried I'm not researching the right things. its more the written test I'm worried about I just freeze. Do you have much experience in this field?
Original post by Emberrypie
It’s a super long day! I was last to be interviewed so I didn’t leave until 5.15pm! You start off with the written test. Choice of 3 questions and you pick 1. They’re fairly straight forward questions. Time goes by fast (45mins) so make a little plan of what you want to answer the question with and stick to it for guidance. Then you have the group interviews, it’s more like an informal discussion so it’s nothing to worry about! Then break for lunch. Then the individual ones where you’re all in a big room but get called in one by one. They chose the order of individual interviews by how far you’ve travelled I.e the furthest goes in first etc. Just think about why you want to become a social worker, implications of the job and what experiences you already have that you can put forward to make you a good social worker. It really isn’t too daunting once you get started.
I was the same - I had no idea what to expect! Just be aware of some basic regulations (which the main ones should be on the HCPC document they attach to an email), implications of the job and why and what will make you a good social worker. I wouldn't say I have much experience, but I do have a part-time job as a care assistant in an elderly residential home, and I previously worked as an undergraduate psychologist support worker for 6 months - but it didn't really give me too much advantage, I was just aware of adult safeguarding/legislations. I have done BSc Psychology - graduating July. What undergrad course have you done?
Original post by kylieg123
Thank you I just panic I really like to be prepared and I'm worried I'm not researching the right things. its more the written test I'm worried about I just freeze. Do you have much experience in this field?
Reply 7
Hi I am attending the selection day on Friday, how was the written test and what was the interview questions like?
And also, have you applied for the bursary?
Original post by allie13
Does anyone currently do MA Social work at Hull university? I’ve been offered a place and I really liked the uni but my only problem is I’d be commuting an hour drive to get there and back as I can’t afford to live away again for masters. Does anyone know what the time table is like or can give me a specimen one? I want to know how often I’d be commuting if I took the place. I know placement is 5 days but I’ve been told they do have placements closer to my home so that wouldn’t be too much of an issue IF I got a placement in those areas.
I want to ask a question instead. I’m applying to university of Hull ma social work as an international student. Want to know if the interview is conducted online or strictly in person.

Quick Reply

Latest