The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saracen's Fez
I got rejected from the Sutton Trust summer school (UNIQ but for the better uni in the fens :tongue:), and now I'm in my fourth year at Cambridge.

I'm not sure that I was ineligible, but I didn't get a place on the summer school regardless, yet still got into Cambridge, so don't be put off.

did u go to any summer school?
Reply 21
Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17
Don’t be disheartened, I couldn’t do UNIQ and I got an offer from them so it’s certainly not impossible. Just try your best! :smile:

Thanks! I will try :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Ellieg1230
Thank you! I do English Lit, History, Geography and Maths and I got 10 A*’s and 3 A’s at GCSE. Wish you the best of luck with your uni application!

I appreciate that, impressive results, thanks!
i wonder how likely it is that people decline the offer ~~~
Reply 24
Original post by ryan15mcc
Hi!

So I got rejected from UNIQ, is this an indicator that I’m not suited for oxford? I mean I know only two people from my school who applied successfully and I achieved better GCSE’s than both of them, and are currently working at a grade above them in A level so what’s happened there - maybe I’m rubbish at personal statements or just not good enough to get in?

Any advice welcome, thanks!

Nope. It's completely different criteria, assessed by completely different people to the actual university admissions. And the rejection rate is higher than it is for the university (because it's so massively oversubscribed).

My son missed out on a Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge but is now a 3rd year Engineer, at Cambridge.
Reply 25
Original post by Doonesbury
Nope. It's completely different criteria, assessed by completely different people to the actual university admissions. And the rejection rate is higher than it is for the university (because it's so massively oversubscribed).

My son missed out on a Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge but is now a 3rd year Engineer, at Cambridge.

Wow, you just be very proud of him, that makes me feel a lot better about my current situation thank you!!
Reply 26
that makes me feel a lot better about my current situation thank you!!

:hat2: :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Presence
i wonder how likely it is that people decline the offer ~~~

I'm sure a reasonable proportion do. It's a free thing so there's no financial penalty if you don't go. This means it can be "de-prioritised" if other events get in the way (a fancy family holiday or a summer placement at CERN might seem more attractive...). And some people do get cold feet, unfortunately.

IIRC there's a waitlist for some near miss applicants.
I applied to UNIQ, was rejected and will be (grades permitting) studying Law at Oxford in October.
I'm sure a reasonable proportion do. It's a free thing so there's no financial penalty if you don't go. This means it can be "de-prioritised" if other events get in the way (a fancy family holiday or a summer placement at CERN might seem more attractive...). And some people do get cold feet, unfortunately.

IIRC there's a waitlist for some near miss applicants.

I am on digital,i.e on the ' reserve pool ' i wonder if i can email and ask where i am on the waiting list
Reply 30
I am on digital,i.e on the ' reserve pool ' i wonder if i can email and ask where i am on the waiting list

I don't know if the waitlist is ranked or randomly picked. :iiam:
did u go to any summer school?

Nope.
I don't know if the waitlist is ranked or randomly picked. :iiam:

Do you know if students are informed if they’re on the waitlist when they receive the rejection email?

I can’t help but feel slightly disappointed that I was rejected for the Law course considering my grades (12A*s at GCSE and 4 A* predictions for A Level if I continue studying all four) and I didn’t think my personal statement was bad. In the email they specified that my rejection was mainly based on the area in which I live, and in some ways I’m okay with that because there are people in greater need than I (though I have to say it’s a bit unfair to judge my area as a whole because some people in live what I can only class as small mansions and some of us live in semi-detached houses).
Reply 33
Original post by MiriamButcher
Do you know if students are informed if they’re on the waitlist when they receive the rejection email?

I can’t help but feel slightly disappointed that I was rejected for the Law course considering my grades (12A*s at GCSE and 4 A* predictions for A Level if I continue studying all four) and I didn’t think my personal statement was bad. In the email they specified that my rejection was mainly based on the area in which I live, and in some ways I’m okay with that because there are people in greater need than I (though I have to say it’s a bit unfair to judge my area as a whole because some people in live what I can only class as small mansions and some of us live in semi-detached houses).

No sorry, I don't know how the waitlist works at all.

As I said, it's hugely oversubscribed and "worthy" candidates will miss out unfortunately.

I suggest you look at masterclasses and tasters instead.
Hi!

So I got rejected from UNIQ, is this an indicator that I’m not suited for oxford? I mean I know only two people from my school who applied successfully and I achieved better GCSE’s than both of them, and are currently working at a grade above them in A level so what’s happened there - maybe I’m rubbish at personal statements or just not good enough to get in?

Any advice welcome, thanks!

No, it's not. Something a lot of students don't seem to realise is that UNIQ is an access scheme. The primary purpose of it isn't to provide the smartest applicants with a UCAS-improving activity, the reason why UNIQ exists is to encourage students who come from backgrounds who wouldn't typically apply to Oxford, to see what life is like there and dispel myths. Of course they want to pick the most qualified applicants from that pool which is why they ask for your results and a personal statement, but ultimately it is an access scheme and given the choice between two very well qualified candidates, they are likely to choose the one from the most needy background. You were unlucky this time but it definitely doesn't mean that you can't make a successful application to Oxford!
Original post by Plagioclase
No, it's not. Something a lot of students don't seem to realise is that UNIQ is an access scheme. The primary purpose of it isn't to provide the smartest applicants with a UCAS-improving activity, the reason why UNIQ exists is to encourage students who come from backgrounds who wouldn't typically apply to Oxford, to see what life is like there and dispel myths. Of course they want to pick the most qualified applicants from that pool which is why they ask for your results and a personal statement, but ultimately it is an access scheme and given the choice between two very well qualified candidates, they are likely to choose the one from the most needy background. You were unlucky this time but it definitely doesn't mean that you can't make a successful application to Oxford!

^^^

This may be over-egging the pudding, but arguably if you're heart's set on Oxford or Cambridge then the summer school isn't really intended for you anyway.
Reply 36
Original post by Plagioclase

Wow this makes a lot of sense! Thank you for this, definitely helps me to not get too frustrated and hung up on it. Thanks!
:hat2: :smile:

WAIT WHAT YOU HAVE A SON?!??!?! IN UNI?>?>?
I thought you were like 23.
Reply 38
Original post by Kangaroo17
WAIT WHAT YOU HAVE A SON?!??!?! IN UNI?>?>?
I thought you were like 23.

:shakecane:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 39
Is Uniq only for prospective students of low socio-economic backgrounds? So you can’t apply if you to private school?

Latest

Trending

Trending