The Student Room Group

Uniq+ internship oxford 2022

Hi,

Is anyone thinking of applying to this?

I'd love to hear about people's backgrounds as i want to know if i am a good fit before applying.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm planning to apply for the UNIQ+ programme. Which project(s) are you planning to apply for?

I graduated in July 2021 with a degree in English Literature and History and have applied to Oxford to do the English (1830-1914) MSt. What about you?
Hey guys! I’m also planning on applying for uniq+ for the humanities research projects. I’ve also applied to Oxford for an Mst and am currently finishing my History degree from Exeter. Do you guys have any ideas on how to unify your research interests when applying for three different projects? I’m struggling with how I’m expressing myself 😭
Original post by Academicslushy
Hey guys! I’m also planning on applying for uniq+ for the humanities research projects. I’ve also applied to Oxford for an Mst and am currently finishing my History degree from Exeter. Do you guys have any ideas on how to unify your research interests when applying for three different projects? I’m struggling with how I’m expressing myself 😭

Hi - I'm in a similar boat. I think I'm going to try and talk broadly about the UNIQ+ programme and then do separate paragraphs that address the particular projects, but still refer to broader skillset that would work across the three. I also am going to prioritise the ones that I'm most interested in so that at least most of the space is dedicated to my preferred project.

I hope that helps and best of luck with the application, as well as the rest of your degree!
Reply 4
Hi everyone! I have applied to the UNIQ+ programme and chose three Medical Sciences projects. How are you all feeling about the application process, and what projects are you interested in?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by megan98_
Hi everyone! I have applied to the UNIQ+ programme and chose three Medical Sciences projects. How are you all feeling about the application process, and what projects are you interested in?

I've also applied to 3 Medical Sciences projects -which ones have you chosen? I thought the personal statement was a bit difficult to write as there was not much information on what to include did anyone else find this?
Reply 6
Original post by chutney101
I've also applied to 3 Medical Sciences projects -which ones have you chosen? I thought the personal statement was a bit difficult to write as there was not much information on what to include did anyone else find this?

I'm interested in cancer research, so I chose projects 20, 21, and 30. What about you? :smile: I completely agree with you in terms of the personal statement, I wasn't really sure how to structure mine. I tried to talk a little bit about my interest in each of the projects as well as the programme as a whole, but this was quite difficult considering how limited the character count is. There were also many things that I had to leave out of the section about how we meet the eligibility criteria due to the character limit, which was quite frustrating as I felt I needed to explain more.
I'm interested in cancer research, so I chose projects 20, 21, and 30. What about you? :smile: I completely agree with you in terms of the personal statement, I wasn't really sure how to structure mine. I tried to talk a little bit about my interest in each of the projects as well as the programme as a whole, but this was quite difficult considering how limited the character count is. There were also many things that I had to leave out of the section about how we meet the eligibility criteria due to the character limit, which was quite frustrating as I felt I needed to explain more.

Oh awesome I hope you are successful! I applied to projects 13, 16, and 25 :smile: Yes exactly, 2000 characters per section is not enough to explain everything fully so you have to be really selective about what to include but I did include how I met the eligibility criteria in the second section only briefly as I felt that was what they wanted
Reply 8
Original post by chutney101
Oh awesome I hope you are successful! I applied to projects 13, 16, and 25 :smile: Yes exactly, 2000 characters per section is not enough to explain everything fully so you have to be really selective about what to include but I did include how I met the eligibility criteria in the second section only briefly as I felt that was what they wanted

Those are great choices! I see that you are interested in neuroscience, then? I wish you the best of luck too. 😊 I explained which criteria I met in the second section and why I think I would benefit from the programme, but I wish I had more characters to explain certain things better. I just hope that the information I chose to include will be good enough... I'm feeling quite anxious about the way they will assess our applications because they will have to compare students with very different backgrounds, life circumstances and experiences. I know that they will prioritise certain candidates, but if there are several applicants who are similar in many aspects, I wonder what they will base their decisions on. At least they increased the number of places this year! 😅
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Hey! I've applied to medical sciences projects too - 29, 23, and 14. Wishing everyone good luck!
Does anybody know when they will start informing people on the outcome of their application?
Original post by EllieVickers
Does anybody know when they will start informing people on the outcome of their application?

I think they said they expect to inform applicants of the outcome of their application by the beginning of May.
Reply 12
Hey, in the confirmation email they said it should take 8-10 weeks which is from now till the end of April.
Reply 13
Those are great choices! I see that you are interested in neuroscience, then? I wish you the best of luck too. 😊 I explained which criteria I met in the second section and why I think I would benefit from the programme, but I wish I had more characters to explain certain things better. I just hope that the information I chose to include will be good enough... I'm feeling quite anxious about the way they will assess our applications because they will have to compare students with very different backgrounds, life circumstances and experiences. I know that they will prioritise certain candidates, but if there are several applicants who are similar in many aspects, I wonder what they will base their decisions on. At least they increased the number of places this year! 😅

Hey, I guess they base their decisions on who has had more disadvantages and meets more criteria from the list. So, if you have numerous students who have similar grades and live in a POLAR Q1 area, then they would priorise the student that has another disadvantage on top of that like being a care leaver, having a BAME background and studying at a university that is currently not part of the russel group.
Original post by Wildean99
Hi, I'm planning to apply for the UNIQ+ programme. Which project(s) are you planning to apply for?

I graduated in July 2021 with a degree in English Literature and History and have applied to Oxford to do the English (1830-1914) MSt. What about you?

Hi, i was planning to apply for the Philosophy - Responsible AI or History - Education and Activism: Women in Oxford projects - but i feel i didn't meet enough of the eligibility criteria so i decided not to apply in the end.

(Sorry my reply is probably irrelevant now but i felt i should have replied haha XD)
Original post by UneBellePatience
Hi, i was planning to apply for the Philosophy - Responsible AI or History - Education and Activism: Women in Oxford projects - but i feel i didn't meet enough of the eligibility criteria so i decided not to apply in the end.

(Sorry my reply is probably irrelevant now but i felt i should have replied haha XD)

Hi - no worries! So did you apply for other projects or did you decide not to apply altogether?
Original post by Wildean99
Hi - no worries! So did you apply for other projects or did you decide not to apply altogether?

I didn't apply altogether! I might apply next year after my masters, hopefully i won't chicken out this time XD best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by UneBellePatience
I didn't apply altogether! I might apply next year after my masters, hopefully i won't chicken out this time XD best of luck with your application :smile:

Thank you - and best of luck with your future plans too! :smile:
Reply 18
hi all, i’ve applied for the classics one but im in second year so probably wont get in this year. anyone heard back yet? im refreshing my emails every second
Original post by ov1d1a
hi all, i’ve applied for the classics one but im in second year so probably wont get in this year. anyone heard back yet? im refreshing my emails every second

I sent the UNIQ+ admin team an email earlier in the week about when applicants are likely to be informed of the outcome of their applications (and some other questions that I had) and they got back to me just saying that applicants will hear back by the beginning of May. Other than that I've not heard anything either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending