The Student Room Group

STEP Test, anyone taking or taken it?

My ambition is to get into Cambridge for Engineering, and this involves getting a S or 1 grade in the STEP test.

A few questions for you...

-Currently I do pretty dang bad on the past papers, 1 question right if I'm lucky, and a few halfway answers; but I've only done Units C1,C2, and M1 in Maths, so I'm thinking maybe I don't know enough yet. Right? Or will I fail if Im doing rubbish now. :/

-When are the tests taken? Right before Uni or mid-sixth form, because theres no way I'll pass if I havent finished A-Level Maths, cus I won't know my all the concepts....

Thanks for any advice
:tsr2:
Reply 1
It's called the Sixth Term Examination Paper for a reason. While it is possible to do some questions with only C1 and C2, it would be better to try them with the full A level Mathematics behind you.
Reply 2
joelio36
My ambition is to get into Cambridge for Engineering, and this involves getting a S or 1 grade in the STEP test.

Does it?
They only want maths, and say further maths is a massive bonus (basically they want it)
Reply 4
joelio36

A few questions for you...

-Currently I do pretty dang bad on the past papers, 1 question right if I'm lucky, and a few halfway answers; but I've only done Units C1,C2, and M1 in Maths, so I'm thinking maybe I don't know enough yet. Right? Or will I fail if Im doing rubbish now. :/

-When are the tests taken? Right before Uni or mid-sixth form, because theres no way I'll pass if I havent finished A-Level Maths, cus I won't know my all the concepts....

Thanks for any advice
:tsr2:

Well in the maths talk at the Warwick open day, the tutor there said it's a bit early to look at STEP yet. He advised to start taking a look in January.
Reply 5
(I'm taking II and III this year, did I last year.)

I assume you're not doing Further Maths? That, (inclusive)or your college choice could be why you need it.

There are probably more doable questions with only C1/C2 than you expect. For example, looking at the Pure questions on 2004/I, you can probably do (no promises mind, but I don't think there's any C3/4 in them) 1, 2 (have you done a.p.'s and g.p.'s?), 5, and maybe 6. It's as much experience often as specifically knowing more techniques. There are occasional questions on STEP III that don't require anything past GCSE.

Not much point starting too early though, just demoralising, and you only have 20 (21 for you) years of past papers to work with, which isn't as many as it sounds.

At this point, I think the best thing would be for you to see if you can do some, or all of further maths. Even an AS is better than nothing (FP1 isn't difficult anyway), and you should make an effort to do at least up to M2. Google the further maths network if your school won't do it.
Reply 6
datr
Does it?

I think a few colleges require it (don't remember perfectly well, but I know I've seen someone with a Peterhouse engineering offer requiring it). Most colleges don't however.
Reply 7
Just apply to a college which doesn't require STEP.

STEP is not a requirement for engineering.
Reply 8
Just download Advanced problems in Core mathematics free from cambridge assessment if you want a good start point...but having only done up to C2 you might find some questions hard.
I failed both step 2 and 3, double u!!
I made all 3 offers, with AEA merit, plus 4 A's. Step is ridiculously hard though! I didn't have raw ability, but i'm still doing fine at warwick so far!

Latest