The Student Room Group

I got lower predicted grades than I want.

To get in top uni's I need A*A*A. My predicted is A*A*C. Idk what to do cos my physics teacher won't change it. I'm planning on doing maths and taking the STEP. If I do really well on my STEP will that affect anything ? Also I need to apply by October so idk if I can get another mock.
Reply 1
Original post by mateus21o
To get in top uni's I need A*A*A. My predicted is A*A*C. Idk what to do cos my physics teacher won't change it. I'm planning on doing maths and taking the STEP. If I do really well on my STEP will that affect anything ? Also I need to apply by October so idk if I can get another mock.

What did u get in your mocks? Im kinda worried im gonna be in this situation as well

Are you applying for Oxbridge or medicine/dentistry/vetmed?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you applying for Oxbridge or medicine/dentistry/vetmed?

Oxbridge
Reply 4
Original post by Rainyzack
What did u get in your mocks? Im kinda worried im gonna be in this situation as well

I got A in further maths , A in maths and C in physics. (The max grade is A for whatever reason)
Oxbridge

Remember that you don't have to make all your 5 choices at once. You can submit your application with just Oxbridge initially and add the others later. This might give you more time to get your C improved.
Reply 6

Likely to get an instant rejection I'm afraid.

What are your 'working at' grades?
STEP is taken after A-levels so does not really help beforehand. A good performance in the MAT might for some universities but honestly if the C is immovable you may be better off just taking a gap year, otherwise you could end up at a university considerably below your paygrade. If you walk out of A-levels with A*A*A and knowing you can perform well in STEP, you'd be in a great position as a post-qual applicant and would definitely get into at least one excellent course.

Whether Cambridge would theoretically accept someone on results day (who would have probably been predicted at least A*AA and achieved an offer for A*A*A + 1, 1) on A*A*C and say S, S is an interesting question (and a non-trivial one to answer) but one that I don't think they're faced with very often.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
I got A in further maths , A in maths and C in physics. (The max grade is A for whatever reason)

Do u know why ur teacher didn't increase it. Cus im worried that my teacher isnt gonna predict me a good grade as well. Did u do bad in topic tests?

Quick Reply

Latest