The Student Room Group
Reply 1
AQA or OCR?
Reply 2
LS.
AQA or OCR?

Sorry, forgot to add that bit. They're both AQA... :smile:
Reply 3
Is anyone actually going to recommend any??? I seriously need some good ones!!!
Reply 4
I'm not sure about bio books for AQA because I'm doing Edexcel, but for AQA psychology, try 'Psychology for AS level' by Michael W Eysenck. It's the best I've seen and has all the studies at the back in exam structure. I don't think its specifically designed for the AQA syllabus but it has everything. Students in my class also seem to like the Gross books (for the AQA Spec) so take a look at both :smile:

Look around in waterstones, they have many books for psycho (not really for bio). I'm sure youll find something that will appeal to you :P
Reply 5
Ok, I've done psychology AQA A, at AS and I've just started A2.

Last year, we used "Psychology - a new introduction for A-level" by Gross, McIlveen, Coolical, Clamp and Russell. It's a pretty decent book but at A2 the phrasing is slightly harder to understand. But at AS level it was great.

However, most people on this site like the Michael W Eysenck at AS level, and the book by Mike Cardwell for A2. I have the latter of these books, and it seems good from what I've seen of it.

If you need any Key Studies for the AS work - try the link in my sig - it's an amazing site.

As for biology, I don't do the AQA syllabus - so I can't advise you!
Reply 6
LS.
Ok, I've done psychology AQA A, at AS and I've just started A2.

Last year, we used "Psychology - a new introduction for A-level" by Gross, McIlveen, Coolical, Clamp and Russell. It's a pretty decent book but at A2 the phrasing is slightly harder to understand. But at AS level it was great.

However, most people on this site like the Michael W Eysenck at AS level, and the book by Mike Cardwell for A2. I have the latter of these books, and it seems good from what I've seen of it.

If you need any Key Studies for the AS work - try the link in my sig - it's an amazing site.

As for biology, I don't do the AQA syllabus - so I can't advise you!

Thanks both LS & Littlemisshala...much appreciated. I've got the Michael Eysenck & Mike Carwell books, so its all good!!!
However, LS, could you still recommend some books for Human Biology. They don't have to be specific to AQA, just human biology. Thanks again.
Marirah

By the way, I've had a look at that link, it's a very good site. But for some reason, when I download the 'star studies' they don't seem to have anything in them, could you shed some light on this at all??? :confused:

:smile:
Reply 7
marirah

However, LS, could you still recommend some books for Human Biology. They don't have to be specific to AQA, just human biology. Thanks again.
Marirah

By the way, I've had a look at that link, it's a very good site. But for some reason, when I download the 'star studies' they don't seem to have anything in them, could you shed some light on this at all??? :confused:

:smile:

Hmm... the only book I use other than my OCR syllabus specific one is "Advanced Biology principles and applications" (second edition is better...has colour :wink: ) by CJ cleggs & D G mackean.

The star studies are turning up fine on my computer. Are you opening them in a new window? If you're still struggeling I can always send them on a Pm to you :smile:
Reply 8
LS.
Hmm... the only book I use other than my OCR syllabus specific one is "Advanced Biology principles and applications" (second edition is better...has colour :wink: ) by CJ cleggs & D G mackean.

The star studies are turning up fine on my computer. Are you opening them in a new window? If you're still struggeling I can always send them on a Pm to you :smile:

Hey, if you don't mind sending them to me that'd be great! :smile:
I'm using the 'Advanced Biology' textbook by Micheal Kent, have you seen it?
It's alright, I've got a couple which are specific to my examboard but they're rubbish:frown:

What are you doing for your A2 psy. cwk? I'm actually doing all fo my a levels in a year:frown:
I've not got far on my coursework however...
Reply 9
marirah
Hey, if you don't mind sending them to me that'd be great! :smile:
I'm using the 'Advanced Biology' textbook by Micheal Kent, have you seen it?
It's alright, I've got a couple which are specific to my examboard but they're rubbish:frown:

What are you doing for your A2 psy. cwk? I'm actually doing all fo my a levels in a year:frown:
I've not got far on my coursework however...

Yup, I'll send them at some point. I'm not sure why they aren't opening for you, I may have a word with the guy who runs the website...

Nope, I haven't heard of that text book, I mainly stick to the syllabus specific books/revision guides and text books available in school.

Yup, I'm just starting the A2 coursework (we should have nearly completed it, but we haven't had a teacher...).

GL with getting all the material done in a year!
Reply 10
LS.
Yup, I'll send them at some point. I'm not sure why they aren't opening for you, I may have a word with the guy who runs the website...

Nope, I haven't heard of that text book, I mainly stick to the syllabus specific books/revision guides and text books available in school.

Yup, I'm just starting the A2 coursework (we should have nearly completed it, but we haven't had a teacher...).

GL with getting all the material done in a year!

Hey, Happy Birthday!!! *reminiscing on what its like being 18*
Hmm...I'm hoping to get my revision notes for all of the AS done by the end of this week...a realistic aim do you think??? Plus, a bit of my courswork.
id recommend biology for as level by bill indge margaret baker etc also revise biology for as its only 6 pound can be found on amazon
We use the AS one with a cat on the front, published by something thornes? Its quite good and covers everything thats done in AS, There's also the A2 one which has a dog on the front. Its kinda vague I know but maybe someone else knows what I'm going on about?
marirah
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good textbooks/revision guides for Psychology & Human Biology at all??? :confused:
I've got a few, but they're not really any good...
Psychology (spec A)
Human Biology (spec A)

Thanks
Marirah... :smile:

Definitely at least check out the 'Human Anatomy & Physiology' text book by Marieb, 5th Edition, complete with CD ROM. It is brilliant, and I have been using it two years straight almost (*looks around cautiously, then hopes that her lecturers don't frequent these forums*) :biggrin:

Anyway, this text book would help you out for sure with all things Human Biology related :smile:
Reply 14
The new book by mike cardwell is excellent. It's called complete As psychology and its got a cat on the front. Its really easy to read.
Reply 15
danni_bella83
Definitely at least check out the 'Human Anatomy & Physiology' text book by Marieb, 5th Edition, complete with CD ROM. It is brilliant, and I have been using it two years straight almost (*looks around cautiously, then hopes that her lecturers don't frequent these forums*) :biggrin:

Anyway, this text book would help you out for sure with all things Human Biology related :smile:

Is it suitable enough for just A Level, cause I don't really want any extra stuff...???

By the way, thanks to everyone who recommended a book or so... :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending