The Student Room Group

WJEC A-Level Geology Component 1,2 & 3 - 4th/6th/11th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

I'm making a thread for the Geology A -level as it's a subject that not many people take so hopefully people can share revision strategies, resources and questions here.
Reply 1
Reply 2
Yes! Proof that other WJEC Geologists exist!

I have made A3 posters for all the different units and have done lots of past papers for the old specification. Feeling quite confident about the first paper because maps are one of my stronger points, hopefully, it's a nice cross-section so I can pick up a few easy marks :smile:

How do you feel about the exam on 4th June?

... And good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Hey any chance you could send me your mind maps? Geology is my worst subject, I’m aiming for a B. Mind work isn’t my strongest haha
Reply 4
I'm Afraid they are all on A3 paper and no way will my phone camera be able to get a clear picture of all the small writing :frown:

Is there anything in particular you don't understand and want me to explain, will do me good explaining things to others I reckon
Reply 5
Original post by baldrica
I'm Afraid they are all on A3 paper and no way will my phone camera be able to get a clear picture of all the small writing :frown:

Is there anything in particular you don't understand and want me to explain, will do me good explaining things to others I reckon

It's mainly the mapwork and geological structures I struggled on. The application side of things really, especially cross sections on paper 1 when you have to use some problem solving :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Yazzie01302
It's mainly the mapwork and geological structures I struggled on. The application side of things really, especially cross sections on paper 1 when you have to use some problem solving :frown:

I have a simple way of remembering the different type of faults :smile:
FUN = Footwall Up Normal (knowing this one means that you know all the other types of faults from the fact reverse is just the opposite)

And then just dip-slip refers to vertical movement; strike-slip horizontal.

Cross sections are difficult though, but to make things easier plot all the Axial Plane Traces onto the map view to see what is actually going on with regards to folding (synforms and antiforms). In the past year, something just clicked with me and cross-sections, not exactly sure what though...
Reply 7
How did you find that paper? I am really happy with how that went, only mistake I know I made, and it's only 1 mark, as I said it was an ooid instead of a coral :colondollar:

Map was really good though for me, and the specimens were awesome!
Hi, I know this thread was a long time ago, but does anyone doing Wjec a level geology know of any good revision resources apart from the knowledge organisers on the official website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending