The Student Room Group

Grade thresholds and marks

The grade threshold for A for CIE Chemistry(9701) in May/June 2023 is 72 and for B it's 56. A student receiving 72 out of 130 total gets an 'A'?
Is it that someone receiving a B has total marks somewhere around 60?
Is that how grades actually work?
Original post by Chasedream
The grade threshold for A for CIE Chemistry(9701) in May/June 2023 is 72 and for B it's 56. A student receiving 72 out of 130 total gets an 'A'?

Well, mathematically, someone who gets a grade B scored a mark between 56 and 71... If that's your definition of 'somewhere around 60', then you're right.

Not sure what you mean by 'is that how grades actually work'. Grade boundaries are set at particular marks, and a range of marks is allocated to each band - in the example you've given above, a B grade covers a sixteen-mark range. Any marks within this range get the same letter grade - a 'B'
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Well, mathematically, someone who gets a grade B scored a mark between 56 and 71... If that's your definition of 'somewhere around 60', then you're right.

Not sure what you mean by 'is that how grades actually work'. Grade boundaries are set at particular marks, and a range of marks is allocated to each band - in the example you've given above, a B grade covers a sixteen-mark range. Any marks within this range get the same letter grade - a 'B'

Thanks for answering. I'm actually figuring out how the grades are decided for subjects. I'll share my confusions, please answer if u get what I'm referring to. All of this may sound childish, sorry for that : )

Continuing the example above, If a student receives B grade PUM(71%), can it be inferered he got slightly more than 56 (let's say 58)? Is the relation between PUM and grade threshold this straight?

If the minimum requirement is 56/130 for B then it might be weird that one gets 56/60 in paper 2 nd then 0/40 in other two papers and gets a B. I think that the threshold set for individual components do matter. Like for May/June series of 2022, you need to get 21/40, 22/60 and 17/40 in paper 1,2 and 3 respectively. That much of minimum marks should be there in individual components. These marks added (21+22+17*0.75 = 55.75(56)) is the requirement for overall grade B right? Does it need to be BBB in all there components or it can be BBC(higher C) that adds upto 56 in total to get that overall B grade?

Is it possible for any student with 71 PUM in AS to get A in A levels? Is it that the 50-50 weightage system of AS and A2 literally as it sounds like? In order to get A in A levels, one needs to get 89 PUM in A2, this way (89+71)/2 = 80 PUM(A grade)
or
Does it has to do with the overall component marks? example: As mentioned above, 56 is the minimum requirement for B in As, this adding to (let's say) 85/100 in p4 and 25/30 in p5 (TOTAL 166/260). The threshold for A is 161/260. So the person gets an A in total?

What way is the grade related to PUM? the 50-50 one or the components marks one? ( If it is the component and PUM ways-both combined, What if getting 85+25 in A2 year doesn't give the required PUM(89 in this case)?
Reply 3
Original post by Chasedream

Is it true or just an example
Reply 4
Is it true or just an example
What might be the grade threshold for physics and computer science in may/June 23

Quick Reply

Latest