The Student Room Group
What exam board?
Can someone please explain titrations to me, I really don't understand the method for it. All I know is it's a quantitative method to determine the concentration of a solution, I think so anyway.
Reply 2
A titration is the combination of two separate solutions; one with known properties (i.e, concentration) and another with an unknown property. It enables you to find that unknown characteristic.

The combination of the solutions will produce a distinct change when the 'right' proportions of each solutions have been combined. (the change might come when an acid and alkali neutralise, the change itself is usually displayed with the use of an indicator).

I'll describe an example to clarify.

HCl (aq) + NaOH (aq) ----> NaCl (aq) + H2O (aq)

Say that we wanted to find the concentration of the HCl. We could place a known value of NaOH in a Erlenmeyer flask with a few drops of indicator. Now we start adding drops of HCl, until the indicator shows neutral. We record how much HCl has been added (the titre value) and can now work backwards to find out the concentration of HCl.
You probably need to know how to do titration calculations involving neutralisation.
Reply 4
titrations...at GCSE?

I never even knew about the things until my first year of AS.

What exam board is this for please? As maybe my school just followed a syllabus that didn't include them.
RJFarmer
titrations...at GCSE?

I never even knew about the things until my first year of AS.

What exam board is this for please? As maybe my school just followed a syllabus that didn't include them.

Well mines OCR, the GCSE science syllabus changed and we're the first year to do it.
Reply 6
milliondollarcorpse
Well mines OCR, the GCSE science syllabus changed and we're the first year to do it.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. The new syllabus sounds a lot more challenging.
RJFarmer
Thanks for clarifying that for me. The new syllabus sounds a lot more challenging.

Well some people think differently. Obviously I don't know the old syllabus so I can't really compare this one with anything, but although there is some challenging stuff in the extended units, a lot of it really is basic, and there's a lot of multiple choice questions and not much writing :smile:
its aqa C3 the third unit you need to know it for.
Reply 9
i think it is in OCR C6 chemical synthesis
you need to be able to do the titration calculations (e.g. work out the concentration of this solution of NaOH) and also describe how to do titration experiments (but i doubt that will come up as it was in the jan 08 paper)

that is for AQA C3
Reply 11
im doing edexcel and you only need it for the thrid module.
It was in the IGCSE as well...
Im doing AQA
i think they skim over it in modular 2
but theres a whole chapter of it in tripple
oh the joy
hughey
you need to be able to do the titration calculations (e.g. work out the concentration of this solution of NaOH) and also describe how to do titration experiments (but i doubt that will come up as it was in the jan 08 paper)

that is for AQA C3

You reckon? hmmmm hope it doesnt but rather it did than 'how science works' questions. We'll see are you taking the exam? (aqa C3)5th june:rolleyes:
Ekpyrotic
A titration is the combination of two separate solutions; one with known properties (i.e, concentration) and another with an unknown property. It enables you to find that unknown characteristic.

The combination of the solutions will produce a distinct change when the 'right' proportions of each solutions have been combined. (the change might come when an acid and alkali neutralise, the change itself is usually displayed with the use of an indicator).

I'll describe an example to clarify.

HCl (aq) + NaOH (aq) ----> NaCl (aq) + H2O (aq)

Say that we wanted to find the concentration of the HCl. We could place a known value of NaOH in a Erlenmeyer flask with a few drops of indicator. Now we start adding drops of HCl, until the indicator shows neutral. We record how much HCl has been added (the titre value) and can now work backwards to find out the concentration of HCl.

thanks for telling us... but he didnt ask for this :mad:
Reply 16
For AQA Chemistry we need to know how to say, get the conc. of Compound A from the Conc. and Volume of Compound B and the amount of Compound A needed to neutralise it.
simcard2007
thanks for telling us... but he didnt ask for this

Saw the word titration and got excited.
Charl907
just wondering whether we need to know how to do titrations for chemistry module 2 or 3. anyone know??
#
its module 3.....if you didnt do an exam you will be doing module 2 so dint need to know.
If you did you will need to learn them! x
Reply 19
thanks everyone, yeah im doing aqa 2 and 3, just wasnt sure whether we had to know it or not
thanks for your help!

Latest