Scroll to see replies

3/7 Wed

Squats 140 kg x2
Deadlift 170 kg x1 190 kg x1 200 kg 2x1 160 kg x3
Sumo deadlift 160 kg 2x3
Lat pulldown 68 kg 3x10
Seated leg press 200 kg 3x10
Leg curl 75 kg 3x10

No idea what went wrong with the squats. They just felt off today, so moved on to deadlifts. Deliberately kept volume low on everything else.
4/7 Thurs
Bench 100 kg x3 105 kg x3 110 kg x3 115 kg x3 100 kg 4x5
Tricep pulldown, cable lateral raise, face pulls
Bike 20 mins

5/7 Fri
Trap bar deadlift 170 kg x3 200 kg x3 210 kg x3 190 kg 4x3 (forgot straps)
Close grip lay pulldown 68 kg 4x10
Pendlay row 100 kg 3x5
Barbell row 70 kg 3x6
Straight arm pulldown 36.25 kg 4x10
Face pulls
Bike 15 mins

6/7 Sat
Squats 150 kg 3x3
Bench 100 kg x3 110 kg x3 115 kg x3 100 kg 2x6
Machine shoulder press 100 kg 4x10
Machine fly, tricep pulldown face pulls
Bike 30 mins

7/7 Sun

Squat 140 kg 3x3
RDL 120 kg 3x5
Deadlift 160 kg 3x3
Barbell row 70 kg 3x6

Bike 20 mins

Had elbow pain during both bench sessions. I’ll either go light or not bench for the next week as I know how bad elbow tendinitis can get.

Started using the exercise bike while watching Countdown or whatever else is on at the gym.

Today was 7th day in row at gym, so kept it light. Will force myself to take tomorrow off.
Do you have set ways to manage elbow pain other than lower intensity?

I also get left elbow pain from heavy bench sometimes and I've read hammer curls can help. Haven't been doing curls long enough to know if they help or not though!
Original post by illusionz

I also get left elbow pain from heavy bench sometimes and I've read hammer curls can help. Haven't been doing curls long enough to know if they help or not though!

Golfer’s elbow or tennis elbow?

If it’s tennis elbow then usually it’s weak forearms so yeah hammer curls but I have found doing wrist curls (pronated) and reverse wrist curls (seated - palm facing up, forearm on your leg. So elbow is supported, and lower the Dumbbell very slowly so you’re controlling the negative. Use other hand to return to start and repeat. Keep it light)

I’ve found those over 2/3 weeks have pretty much cleared my elbow which was getting worse and worse
Original post by illusionz

Original post by Unistudent77

If it’s tennis elbow then usually it’s weak forearms so yeah hammer curls but I have found doing wrist curls (pronated) and reverse wrist curls (seated - palm facing up, forearm on your leg. So elbow is supported, and lower the Dumbbell very slowly so you’re controlling the negative. Use other hand to return to start and repeat. Keep it light)

I’ve found those over 2/3 weeks have pretty much cleared my elbow which was getting worse and worse

Cheers. Will add in some curls. Despite being aware curls can help with below health, I'm lazy when it come to isolation exercises and have no interest in the size of my biceps (hence why I last did a set of curls in December).
I'm actually not sure which it is, it's generally from pushing movements, mainly heavy bench. I think that's tennis elbow? Though today I did bench and they were fine.

Will try wrist curls if I get a flare up. Am also doing some dead hangs for shoulder mobility so they will help forearms too.
Original post by Unistudent77

tues 9/7

RDL 120 kg 2x5
Deadlift 180 kg 195 kg 210 kg 160 kg 3x3
Barbell row 75 kg 4x6
Diverging seated row 59 kg 4x8
Seated cable row 66 kg 4x8
Diverging lat pulldown 59 kg x8 73 kg x8 (It’s a really weird movement, will stick to normal lat pulldowns)
Lat pulldown 73 kg 4x8
Cable hammer curls, face pulls

Different city, Different PureGym. Again, I like the place. I don’t get why they have such a bad rep.

210 kg deadlift was surprisingly easy. In part, because form has improved from doing them frequently. However I think using bumper plates and getting that extra inch of clearance off the floor helped.
Too lazy to list Wed/Thurs as It’s a pain to type everything out on my tablet.

12/7 Fri
Bench 100 kg 3x5
Seated DB overhead press 60 kg 4x8
Machine shoulder press 120 kg 4x8
Seated DB lateral raise, reverse machine fly, cable hammer curl
Prowler sprint 160 kg 4 laps
Bike 15 mins

Another new gym and they had turf. So I got to play with a prowler for the first time since last summer. I’m guessing a full lap was 16-20 m. Weight was light enough for it to be a sprint but heavy enough to leave me drenched in sweat. Would love to do more conditioning work, but just need a suitable gym.

On that note, I’ve already cancelled existing gym membership. New gym opens on 27th July.

Still getting tendinitis when benching, so kept it light. I’m not getting the pain flaring up from any other exercise.
Fri 19/7

Deadlift 170 kg x1 190 kg x1 205 kg x1 220 kg x1

5 plate deadlift unlocked. Took approx 22 months from when I first deadlifted 60 kg and almost toppled backwards because my balance was so poor. So I think it is respectable progress. As I wasn't using straps or chalk, it came at a cost. Grip slipped just as I locked out. As it would have been frightfully rude to bleed over everything in the gym, that proved to be a very short session.

Spoiler

Sun 21/7
Squats 170 kg 3x3
OHP 65 kg x10 65 kg 2x5
Chest supported row 50 kg 3x8
straight arm pulldown 38.75 kg 4x10
Seated leg press 200 kg 4x10

Random bonus session due to weekend boredom.
(edited 4 years ago)
Deadlifted 205 kg for a new 3RM but tore open my hand again. Sat on the exercise bike and felt sorry for myself.
Do what I do and wear full gloves when deadlifting, helps the grip and leaves your hands soft for when I moisturise them after. /s
Really struggled with benching 120 kg for a triple.

Weight is down to 100.2 kg, but genuinely thought I was still too chunky for weight loss to make much difference to my strength. Although could equally blame the heat.

And I say goodbye to the shite gym that I've made my third home since last autumn. It won't be missed.
29/7 Mon

Bench 100 kg x3 105 kg x3 110 kg x3 115 kg x3 120 kg x3 125 kg x3 100 kg 2x6
OHP 65 kg 4x5
Machine shoulder press 70 kg 3x10
single arm lateral raise, tricep pulldown, face pulls
Bike 10 mins

30/7 Tues

Squats 170 kg 3x3
Deadlift 160 kg x3 180 kg x3 200 kg x3
Trapbar deadlift 210 kg 3x3 230 kg x1

31/7 Wed

Bench 100 kg x3 105 kg x3 110 kg x3 115 kg x3 100 kg 2x6
Bench 70 kg + 29.4 kg chains 4x6
Machine shoulder press 70 kg 3x10

New gym. It is so new that there were workmen grouting the showers as I was getting changed earlier today.

It is well furnished and everything is so shiny. The benches are a particular highlight. Not having to wedge plates under the bench beause the lowest rack is too high means unpacking becomes so much easier and I can actually place my feet firmly on the floor. Oh, and they've got chains, so had a quick tryout.

The downside is the university has not learnt its lesson.They've spent £31 million on a new sports complex and made the gym only marginally larger than the previous glorified broom cupboard. Three squat racks and two benches, while the high performance suite next door has 8 full power racks (I was enviously staring through the locked door). It's going to be great for now, but as soon as the rest of the students are back, it will be overcrowded mayhem.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Gym looks beautiful, do you have to pay extra or be a member of a society to gain entry to the high performance area?
Original post by Enginerd.
Gym looks beautiful, do you have to pay extra or be a member of a society to gain entry to the high performance area?

Need to be a member of a society. I could join the weightlifting/powerlifting society but then I’m tied to their timetable, which would be awkward as I’m either working or out in the early evenings.

What happened to your own blog? I noticed you stopped updating a while back.
I’ve started nSuns 6 day deadlift focused program as new gym has inspired me to put some genuine effort into getting stronger.

I’ve cut some of the lower volume as I’m not up to it at the moment, but will reintroduce it over time. Did 9 sets of deadlifts yesterday. I’m simply not fit enough to immediately follow that with 8 sets of squats.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Need to be a member of a society. I could join the weightlifting/powerlifting society but then I’m tied to their timetable, which would be awkward as I’m either working or out in the early evenings.

What happened to your own blog? I noticed you stopped updating a while back.

Erm, I've always thought I'd return to blogging but just too lazy and I record my lifts elsewhere. Still training regularly but have been bodybuilding for a while now, getting boring and I want to get into strongman but no suitable gyms around me.
Erm, I've always thought I'd return to blogging but just too lazy and I record my lifts elsewhere. Still training regularly but have been bodybuilding for a while now, getting boring and I want to get into strongman but no suitable gyms around me.

Where do you live?
I want to get into strongman but no suitable gyms around me.

That's something I can fully understand. Even if it is not something I'd like to get into seriously, just access to the equipment again would be good.
Life got in the way for several enjoyable days so the week only starts today.

Bench 82.5 kg x8 95 kg x6 107.5 kg 3x4 95 kg 3x6 80 kg x10
OHP 42.5 kg x6 50 kg x5 57.5 kg x3 x5 x7 x4 x6 x8
Barbell row 90 kg 3x6
Machine incline press 70 kg 3x10
Face pulls, tricep pulldowns

I've tweaked something in my back. It's so painful/uncomfortable that I couldn't flatten my feet when benching. So either I'll make a miraculous recovery by tomorrow, or deadlifting won't be happening.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest