The Student Room Group

Bristol Unemployment Rate

According to unistats, 15% of civil engineers who do MEng at Bristol are unemployed after the degree. Bath on the other hand have 0% unemployment rate. Bristol was my preferred choice but this is making me concerned. What do you guys think?
I assume you are aware engineering degree prospects are overrated because of poor careers advice and false assumptions held by society, teachers, parents, people in general. Student numbers are going up, lack of entry level jobs (2:1 ratio of grads to positions, heading towards 3:1 with the current spending on study STEM type initiatives).

There is a lack of experienced engineers but it is not due to people wanting or trying, but the majority of engineering graduates being "unwilling or unable" to enter the industry.
Original post by esrever
According to unistats, 15% of civil engineers who do MEng at Bristol are unemployed after the degree. Bath on the other hand have 0% unemployment rate. Bristol was my preferred choice but this is making me concerned. What do you guys think?

Check the sample size, for unistats it will sometimes be like 15 people at which point if 2 people in that sample happen to be unemployed or underemployed you would get those kind of percentages.

Also worth considering that some people will choose to be unemployed while searching for an engineering job instead of just taking another job, so it's not as simple as 15% couldn't find a job.
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
Check the sample size, for unistats it will sometimes be like 15 people at which point if 2 people in that sample happen to be unemployed or underemployed you would get those kind of percentages.

Also worth considering that some people will choose to be unemployed while searching for an engineering job instead of just taking another job, so it's not as simple as 15% couldn't find a job.

How do I check the sample size?
Original post by esrever
How do I check the sample size?

if you float the mouse over the %age it should tell you about the data

e.g.
DLHE.JPG
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
if you float the mouse over the %age it should tell you about the data

e.g.
DLHE.JPG

Thanks!