The Student Room Group

Giving more than one answer in an exam

If you gave more than one answer in a question that says something like 'give one example of...' ( assuming that your answers didn't contradict each other and not in multiple-choice section) if one of them was right and the other wasn't, would the SQA give you a mark?
Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
I think if the first one is right you’d be ok.
(edited 5 years ago)
Or if it’s multiple choice then no
Original post by pineapplepink
If you gave more than one answer in a question that says something like 'give one example of...' ( assuming that your answers didn't contradict each other) if one of them was right and the other wasn't, would the SQA give you a mark?
Thanks

No, you would not get a mark. All answers for that question that you choose to put down must be correct.
Original post by henleykt
I think if the first one is right you’d be ok.

Wrong.
ok thanks
If you gave more than one answer in a question that says something like 'give one example of...' ( assuming that your answers didn't contradict each other and not in multiple-choice section) if one of them was right and the other wasn't, would the SQA give you a mark?
Thanks

No, an extra answer can negate a right one, where the additional one is either contradictory or incorrect.
Original post by Labrador99
No, an extra answer can negate a right one, where the additional one is either contradictory or incorrect.

ok, thanks for clarifying that
do you think the same rule would apply in the TA poetry section of the English exam i.e if you put down two quotes and analysed them both separately?
do you think the same rule would apply in the TA poetry section of the English exam i.e if you put down two quotes and analysed them both separately?

That's different. That would be fine.
It's like when you do a close reading, you may need to write down three points but only 2 are correct. The third one wouldn't negate for the other 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
That's different. That would be fine.
It's like when you do a close reading, you may need to write down three points but only 2 are correct. The third one wouldn't negate for the other 2

that's what I thought so that's good. thanks
If I have enough time at the end of the exam I add back-up marks therefore if I lose a mark I can still get full marks in a question as I have another answer.
yeah that was my thinking behind the original question
Original post by AyrshireStudent
If I have enough time at the end of the exam I add back-up marks therefore if I lose a mark I can still get full marks in a question as I have another answer.
My teacher says for the TA I should use at least 3 (if not 4) quotes and analysis for my secondary text (national 5) just so I definitely get the mark because sometimes my analysis isn't always detailed enough, but most other people have been told you only need 2 quotes and analysis to get the mark. My essay writing skills aren't the greatest and so she wants me to score as highly as possible in TA so my essay doesn't bring down my score too much. But what I'm wondering is if it is worth it just to only do the minimum quotes and analysis for the TA and spend more time on my essay (to try and pass it) or try and get an amazing score in poetry and just get a 6-8 in my essay. What should I do, focus on the TA or the essay?
for AQA (not sure about others) you should cross it out as a line so it’s still readable because they DO mark work that’s crossed out, I know they do this in maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending