The Student Room Group

GYG Asks... What's the most interesting or surprising thing you've learned this term?

Hi everyone! :grin: It's been amazing to see so many dedicated Grow Your Grades bloggers over the last few weeks :yeah:

Now that we're almost three months into the academic year, I want to ask what is the most interesting or surprising thing you've learned this term? :eek:

It can be absolutely anything and the question is open to everyone, so share below! :cool:

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

[Quote= hameedah:smile: ]x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

[Quote= Moonlight:smile: ]x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x
Just how complicated nerves and stuff are, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it
Now being in year 10, I didn't expect myself to fall behind my workload so quickly - so I underestimated the workload I would have for sure
aww thank you - it is rly nice also to see so many gyg forums! something i've learnt this term is how to prioritise my revision effectively for mocks and then for my actual a levels :biggrin:!
I've learnt that year 11 is very stressful but I've also gotten better at revising effectively - but I guess we'll see how effective it was when I get my results back :eek:
What I've learnt is that 2 months is a lot shorter than you first expect
Original post by thrivingfrog
What I've learnt is that 2 months is a lot shorter than you first expect

yep you dont say
Reply 7
Original post by agent_duck343
I've learnt that year 11 is very stressful but I've also gotten better at revising effectively - but I guess we'll see how effective it was when I get my results back :eek:

whar r u doing to revise?? im trying things but quizlet doesnt always seem like the way to go
Original post by sarM123
whar r u doing to revise?? im trying things but quizlet doesnt always seem like the way to go

Mostly seneca coupled with a few exam questions. Personally I don't like doing practice papers - if I do them it's not timed - but nearly everyone else I know uses past papers as it is a good way to practice time management as well as exam style questions. I find that seneca has courses for
nearly all subjects I do with the same exam boards which is useful so I try to do as much as possible with my revision then the night before and morning of the exam I will go over the specific topics I struggled on. Hope this helps xx
Reply 9
Wouldn't say it was surprising but I'm having the most fun with Y13 integration at the moment. Probably the most difficult maths topic I've ever done so it's going to be a steep learning curve but I'm here for the ride. 😅
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Just how complicated nerves and stuff are, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it

When I had covid I had this awful nerve pain from it. It felt like all my skin was hurting! Horrible, but also super interesting.

Original post by Jieay20
Wouldn't say it was surprising but I'm having the most fun with Y13 integration at the moment. Probably the most difficult maths topic I've ever done so it's going to be a steep learning curve but I'm here for the ride. 😅

Maybe the surprising part is that difficult things can also be fun! :biggrin:
Original post by Pwca
When I had covid I had this awful nerve pain from it. It felt like all my skin was hurting! Horrible, but also super interesting.

Maybe the surprising part is that difficult things can also be fun! :biggrin:

wait how did you reply to two posts at once?
(Not really a shocker but) I seem to only be able to function as an extremely productive person or an extremely unproductive person & that I should find a happy medium sometime soon (for my sanity’s sake)
Original post by pineapple1865
(Not really a shocker but) I seem to only be able to function as an extremely productive person or an extremely unproductive person & that I should find a happy medium sometime soon (for my sanity’s sake)

no this is me as well!!
My 2 pence worth of advice to y'all is to emphasise the importance of PLANNING! I'll try and break it down for two parts, exams and coursework. In either case, the most important thing is Planning, planning and more planning. Oh, did I say anything about planning? 🤣

Doing Exams:- The night before, make sure you get a good nights sleep, so you're well rested. I would suggest having fish or something rich in Omega 3 as it's proven to be good for the brain. On the big day, arrive anything between 15-30 minutes before it's due to start, so you're calm and ready to focus. Maybe have a coffee, but don't have too much... or you'll get the jitters.

Make sure you understand exactly what's being asked before you start, take a couple of minutes to really think about it before scribbling down your answers (you'll be surprised how many people misinterpret things simple phrases like "Discuss" and "To what extent..."). I would also suggest taking a few deep breaths before and clear your mind (oxygen is fuel for the brain).

Make sure you allocate an appropriate amount of time, for whatever that part of the question is worth. Try and write something down for all parts of the question. In something like an exam situation, you'll be very surprised from what you can pick up from brainstorming or putting some random thoughts on paper. It may not be a textbook answer, but remember saying something is almost always better than nothing. Simple example, if you're required to answer three questions, and you answer two perfectly, and don't bother at all with the last one, the very most you'll get is 67%.

First do the parts that you know the best or you find easiest, this serves two purposes:-

a) You get those marks "in the bag" early, and it saves you wasting precious time struggling on the more difficult parts.

b) The confidence boost you get from knowing you've done something well will set you up nicely for the tougher, more challenging parts.

Having said that, remember the above about bit about allocating time... don't spend too much time creating a perfect answer, that you've not left any time to do the remaining parts. You can always go back to it later to make some tweaks, if you've got a spare few minutes towards the end.

Also bear in mind, the first part of each individual exam question are normally easy. As long as you've turned up for lessons you should be able to get those marks without too much effort. The middle part takes a bit more thought and the final few marks are really for the very best students.

I would avoid discussing what you did with your classmates afterwards, as there's always something they'll have done differently, and that can cause a panic that you've done it wrong. After all, once the exam's done, it's out of your hands (well until results day lol). Put it aside, and focus on your next exam.

Also goes without saying to do plenty of past papers.

Coursework:- For coursework (e.g. essays, reports, projects etc.) see how they want you to answer the question and stick to that like glue. Part of this is testing how well you can follow a brief / specification as well as your knowledge on a particular subject matter. Yes, I know its annoying when you know a subject inside out, but the essay cannot be more than 1,000 words... but sometimes it's important to be concise; so you need to identify the important points and make sure they're prioritised and covered.

The structure of an essay is normally 20-25% introduction and the same for conclusions, with the remainder being the main body. This is only a guide, as there occasions where the intro / findings need to be much shorter (this is more common for reports).

For any summary's / abstracts should be no more than about 10% of the size of the essay / report itself. It should give the user the gist of the study, enough to interest them in reading the main thing.

Always try and use formal English for these kind of things. Avoid slang and colloquialisms (although there are sometimes very specific cases when this may be required or appropriate). I would suggest getting a clever friend or a family member to proof read your work before you submit it.

If you're allowed to (and you have time) I would also make the effort to ensure it's presented really well. As well as a chance to flex your MS Office skills, it creates a good first impression and shows you care about your work. However, unless it's an art / design type orientated assignment, don't go "over the top" with it, as some of the more cynical markers may see that as an attempt to cover up some shoddy poor work (e.g. polishing a "you know what") .

Late work is often penalised, so make sure you meet deadlines... even if the report isn't as good as it could have been (unless you've previously discussed with whoever is responsible for it and agreed something). Remember the bit about planning / allocating time applies just as much to coursework as exams... it's just over a longer time period (and you have to juggle it with everything else going on in your life, being popular teenagers and all lol 😉 ).

Above all, please remember the 7P's rule:-

Proper Preparational Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance 😉
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
My 2 pence worth of advice to y'all is to emphasise the importance of PLANNING! I'll try and break it down for two parts, exams and coursework. In either case, the most important thing is Planning, planning and more planning. Oh, did I say anything about planning? 🤣

Doing Exams:- The night before, make sure you get a good nights sleep, so you're well rested. I would suggest having fish or something rich in Omega 3 as it's proven to be good for the brain. On the big day, arrive anything between 15-30 minutes before it's due to start, so you're calm and ready to focus. Maybe have a coffee, but don't have too much... or you'll get the jitters.

Make sure you understand exactly what's being asked before you start, take a couple of minutes to really think about it before scribbling down your answers (you'll be surprised how many people misinterpret things simple phrases like "Discuss" and "To what extent..."). I would also suggest taking a few deep breaths before and clear your mind (oxygen is fuel for the brain).

Make sure you allocate an appropriate amount of time, for whatever that part of the question is worth. Try and write something down for all parts of the question. In something like an exam situation, you'll be very surprised from what you can pick up from brainstorming or putting some random thoughts on paper. It may not be a textbook answer, but remember saying something is almost always better than nothing. Simple example, if you're required to answer three questions, and you answer two perfectly, and don't bother at all with the last one, the very most you'll get is 67%.

First do the parts that you know the best or you find easiest, this serves two purposes:-

a) You get those marks "in the bag" early, and it saves you wasting precious time struggling on the more difficult parts.

b) The confidence boost you get from knowing you've done something well will set you up nicely for the tougher, more challenging parts.

Having said that, remember the above about bit about allocating time... don't spend too much time creating a perfect answer, that you've not left any time to do the remaining parts. You can always go back to it later to make some tweaks, if you've got a spare few minutes towards the end.

Also bear in mind, the first part of each individual exam question are normally easy. As long as you've turned up for lessons you should be able to get those marks without too much effort. The middle part takes a bit more thought and the final few marks are really for the very best students.

I would avoid discussing what you did with your classmates afterwards, as there's always something they'll have done differently, and that can cause a panic that you've done it wrong. After all, once the exam's done, it's out of your hands (well until results day lol). Put it aside, and focus on your next exam.

Also goes without saying to do plenty of past papers.

Coursework:- For coursework (e.g. essays, reports, projects etc.) see how they want you to answer the question and stick to that like glue. Part of this is testing how well you can follow a brief / specification as well as your knowledge on a particular subject matter. Yes, I know its annoying when you know a subject inside out, but the essay cannot be more than 1,000 words... but sometimes it's important to be concise; so you need to identify the important points and make sure they're prioritised and covered.

The structure of an essay is normally 20-25% introduction and the same for conclusions, with the remainder being the main body. This is only a guide, as there occasions where the intro / findings need to be much shorter (this is more common for reports).

For any summary's / abstracts should be no more than about 10% of the size of the essay / report itself. It should give the user the gist of the study, enough to interest them in reading the main thing.

Always try and use formal English for these kind of things. Avoid slang and colloquialisms (although there are sometimes very specific cases when this may be required or appropriate). I would suggest getting a clever friend or a family member to proof read your work before you submit it.

If you're allowed to (and you have time) I would also make the effort to ensure it's presented really well. As well as a chance to flex your MS Office skills, it creates a good first impression and shows you care about your work. However, unless it's an art / design type orientated assignment, don't go "over the top" with it, as some of the more cynical markers may see that as an attempt to cover up some shoddy poor work (e.g. polishing a "you know what") .

Late work is often penalised, so make sure you meet deadlines... even if the report isn't as good as it could have been (unless you've previously discussed with whoever is responsible for it and agreed something). Remember the bit about planning / allocating time applies just as much to coursework as exams... it's just over a longer time period (and you have to juggle it with everything else going on in your life, being popular teenagers and all lol 😉 ).

Above all, please remember the 7P's rule:-

Proper Preparational Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance 😉

thank you so much for your answer: do you have any advice for planning when it comes to revision for a levels? :smile:
Original post by emm4nuella
thank you so much for your answer: do you have any advice for planning when it comes to revision for a levels? :smile:

No problem.

Most of what I said applies to any exams... but what "A" levels are you studying?

I probably won't answer straight away, but I'm sure you'd prefer to wait for a better answer, rather than rushing something right now

... right?!? 🙂
Original post by Old Skool Freak
No problem.

Most of what I said applies to any exams... but what "A" levels are you studying?

I probably won't answer straight away, but I'm sure you'd prefer to wait for a better answer, rather than rushing something right now

... right?!? 🙂

psych, socio and spanish > you seem to be the planning genius :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
wait how did you reply to two posts at once?

Press quote, type a reply, then press quote on the next thing and it'll appear beneath your answer :smile:

Alrighty...

First thing you need to remember is there's a huge difference between knowing a subject... and passing an exam.

In order to prepare for an examination / assessment of any subject, you first need to establish what examination board is responsible for the course at your school / college (they can vary from course to course... so just because it's one board for one subject, it doesn't mean all of them will be this). Unless there's a major change in the educational infrastructure, the boards very rarely change the examination format... they typically find new ways of asking pretty much exactly the same questions lol.

Therefore, the thing you want to do is get as many past exam papers from your board and practice, identify the core patterns in their question format(s) answering them and get your teachers to grade your answers... also get constructive criticism from them and incorporate whatever they tell you in your next attempts. You can treat it as coursework in the first instance (i.e. research to find the best answers), but as time goes by, you really want to get used to answering them under exam conditions. This means going to a library or quiet study area, and attempting to answer them sticking to the allocated time, without the aid of notes, mates etc.

As for revision itself, research studies on the matter have shown that people seldom fully focus / concentrate on something for more than about 1/2 hour. After that, you become more easily distracted, you lose your focus, your mind wonders etc. Therefore, a 3-5 minute break every 1/2 hour will probably be more effective than going at it constantly for 6 hours straight. During I'd suggest you stay away from phones and computer screens... go for a walk around the block, play with the dog / cat, hang the laundry out, have a chin-wag with one of your mates. but do something that's different from working.

For revision notes... everyone has their own style. Personally, I found having a few key words on small cards helped as I instantly knew everything (well the key points) that were associate with those cards. It won't work for every scenario, but it'll work for most.

psych, socio and spanish > you seem to be the planning genius

I'll do my best to cover each of the subjects you described:-

Sociology:- I don't know a great deal about sociology as I didn't study it... but I'd expect most of the questions to be essay based. You need to identify the sort of questions they ask from the past papers.. Off the top of my head, you might get one question about what influences society, another on demographics, and maybe something about how social media has changed the world over the past 40-50 years. The key with these kind of subjects is that there's no "right" or "wrong" answers... it's all about how well you can argue / justify your point(s)... (and also whether or not the examiner agrees with you lol). On that note, in these kind of exams, it's very easy to get the first 30-40%, but it'll be tough / challenging to get more than 70-75%. Obviously make sure you know the key studies and their implications (I'm sure they will have all been done to death in your classes).

Psychology:- You will probably have questions on some of the following areas:- psychoanalysis (e.g. Freud's developmental stages); Obedience / behaviourism; the old question "Is Psychology a science?" (N.B. always try and justify it as such lol)... the nature of the questions will depend on the syllabus. and maybe another on different research methods and statistics. As with sociology, most of these questions will probably be essay based, so what I described will apply to these also to some extent. However, if there is a question about the research methods (or if you have to do any kind of statistical analysis), these will be much more "factual" and may also involve some calculations. A lot of people will find this scary (cause they find Maths scary lol), but... if you can get your head around it, it's an area where it will be easier to achieve a very high mark if you can "number-crunch". As for individual research methods, you need to know the different methods and the pros and cons of each (namely the type / quality of the data you'll get from them... e.g. a Chi squared test only give basic info, while Wilcoxen give far more detailed results)

Spanish:- Lo siento, pero me aprendo Espanol solo con Duolingo, y a veces hablo en espanol con los hombres y las mujeres que limpian mi oficina en la tarde... y tambien escucho el podcast semanal "The News in Slow Spanish"; entonces si tu estuidas espanol en "A Level", yo creo que tu espanol es mucho mejor que el mio. Sin embargo, recuerda en general que hay cuatro habilidades para aprender un idioma:- hablar; escuchar; leer y escribir. Cada uno neceisitara practicar y atencion invidivudales. Si tu tienes algunos amigos, tu puedes practicar los todos juntos. Ademas, me gustaria pedir perdon por mis errores gramaticales, y mis oraciones largas. :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending