The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ye Im pretty sure i am. Um i write shorthand notes then copy them out again but more shorthand. Then I write minitopics and, from memory, everything i know about them, then check notes. As a supplement, I record audionotes on my laptop and listen to them sometimes. Talking with friends about it is good as well. There isnt that much to learn as you have very little time to put it onto paper so the essentials plus a few quotes per subject, and a little common sense will get you a good grade. For ethics, im learning utilitarianism and natural law only (plus a bit of absolutism and relativism). The main 3 arguments for God - tele, onto and cosmo are essential and should be easy, but my teacher said miracles hasnt come up on foundation philosophy for a while. I have history the day before so its a secondary subject I agree
Reply 2
wow, it sounds like you are a lot more prepared than i am lol

yeah, i think ethics will be a lot easier than philosophy just because you can kind of make things up to fill up your essay whereas with philosophy you actually need to know real details

i really dont understand the cosmological argument so i was going to leave that out - does your teacher mean that miracles will probably come up this year?
bindymackenzie
Is anyone doing this exam next tuesday?

I dont really know how to revise other than reading over notes but i am not really taking it in, plus i have biology in the morning so i am not really focussing on rs a lot

:suitc:

really weird i have bio in the morning too.
what i'm doing is basically doing notes and then doing question papers and timing myself.
T-o dore
ye Im pretty sure i am. Um i write shorthand notes then copy them out again but more shorthand. Then I write minitopics and, from memory, everything i know about them, then check notes. As a supplement, I record audionotes on my laptop and listen to them sometimes. Talking with friends about it is good as well. There isnt that much to learn as you have very little time to put it onto paper so the essentials plus a few quotes per subject, and a little common sense will get you a good grade. For ethics, im learning utilitarianism and natural law only (plus a bit of absolutism and relativism). The main 3 arguments for God - tele, onto and cosmo are essential and should be easy, but my teacher said miracles hasnt come up on foundation philosophy for a while. I have history the day before so its a secondary subject I agree

why are u only learning utilitarianism and natural law
Reply 5
i have chemistry the next day too in the morning :frown:
Reply 6
haha i have two biology in the morning too, and the day before have maths and two history papers :tongue: (i win! :biggrin:)

we took the foundation paper in january, and if it's any consolation you don't have to do an awful lot to get an A- just make sure you drop in some quotes and names of scholars.... and then bluff the rest! (pad it out with lots of examples and analogies)

all i'm doing is reading back over my notes and making cue cards (i SWEAR by cue cards!!!)

anyone else doing buddhism as a module instead of the philosophy, or is that just my crazy school?
I'm going to make sure I know the arguments against God really well and Kant and Utilitarianism..Hopefully get those done today =/ Only I have History the day before and I seriously need to learn how to write a bloody history essay xD
c'mon guys we can do it .. remember quotes and examples will get u the high marks! i'm off to revise...after lunch.
Only utiltarianism and natural law for ethics basically because its all you have to know. Its risky but...meh il probs end up learning everything. Its not exactly brainbusting stuff
Ye he recommends miracles and religious experience... but hes crazy and old. I think the cosmological arg. came up in Jan?
hmmm, i might concentrate on that then and completely miss out the cosmological argument

my teacher said that metaethics nearly always comes up so yeah i'll be focusing on that too

there is just so much to learn by next week and i feel like i hardly know anything, i just want A grades without all the revision!
This is the spec for the foundation unit paper for Philosophy of Religion 1 and Religious Ethics 1 (2761+2762) the most popular options.

Philosophy:
Plato
Aristotle
Judeo-Christian concept of God

I will just be revising Plato (also what Aristotle said on Plato’s forms) and Judeo-Christian concept God.

Ethics
Meta-Ethics
Natural Law
Virtue Ethics
Moral Relativism: situation ethics and cultural relativism

I will be concentrating on natural law, virtue ethics and moral relativism. Meta-ethics is all over the place or I am just rubbish at it.

For the foundation exam you choose 1 of 2 philosophy questions and 1 of 2 ethics questions. Only once has each question been on the same theory/subject and this was philosophy.

I can’t be bothered to type the other 2 units like this But you can find it on the OCR website or on the tutor2u pages.
Reply 13
user_01332
I will be concentrating on natural law, virtue ethics and moral relativism. Meta-ethics is all over the place or I am just rubbish at it.

We were made to self-teach meta-ethics. =\
T-o dore
Only utiltarianism and natural law for ethics basically because its all you have to know. Its risky but...meh il probs end up learning everything. Its not exactly brainbusting stuff

That is a really stupid idea. So in your essay you'll only be able to talk about one relativist and one absolutist theory?! Not clever imo.
Reply 15
Ethics is such a blag lol...it all comes down to

"not a strong enough moral framework"
"leads to a slippery slope"
"is outdated"
"hard to calculate"
"leads to unjust decisions"

But yeah I'm going to revise by doing an essay on each of the main topics...get them market on monday.

BTW is the exam not wednesday?

What about Kant and poor Joseph Fletcher?!

Shame on you! :tongue:

But yeah, I am one of the people retaking the foundation people, shame really because I also am retaking Charles the 1st the next day. So I will have a lot of exams all in a series of 2 days.

Restless nights ahead.
it'll work trust me
Reply 18
T-o dore
it'll work trust me

a few years ago for the foundation unit a class only revised plato, and 2 questions an god came up.
Reply 19
Heyy,

Yeah I am also doing the re-sit and also the summer paper, as I got an E in January... not sure how I did.. but the examiner gave me that! So onwards and upwards. I have got the Oxford revision guide book.. its actually very good. Sums up each argument on 1 PAGE!! And its really detailed as well, I recommend it.

I am just reading the notes over and over again at the moment. Its soooo long though! There is wayyy too much to learn!

Danni

xx

Latest

Trending

Trending