The Student Room Group

econ: uni or through degree apprenticeship???? prestige?!

I'm in Year 13 and applied to a degree I have decided I no longer want to pursue. It was after I submitted my UCAS application that I realised I want to study economics. I have contacted the universities I have offers from, asking to switch courses but they said they are unable to do that due to the competition for the Econ courses at those unis.
I have applied to an econ degree apprenticeship but am afraid it will hurt my chances of getting competitive jobs in the future. (The degree is run by the GES through the University of Kent.) Is it worth taking a year out (which I would spend doing an internship at an investment management company) to reapply to unis like LSE/Warwick/Cambridge etc.??
I'm unsure about whether experience through the degree apprenticeship will make me a competitive candidate for jobs bc the degree itself isn't v mathematical ?? Any help would be much appreciated!!!! Thank you
Getting internships is hard, let alone before you've even started university. You certainly can't count on getting one, let alone in your area of preference, but you could be lucky!

It's widely believed that for competitive jobs in the finance industry, you need to go to a top university (classic target/semi target) to get your foot in the door. I think there's truth that you'd struggle to get into a competitive firm having just done an apprenticeship degree, from a meh university no less.

I'm not sure why you think econ degrees aren't very mathematical. They are very, especially at the top universities.
Reply 2
Oh sorry I should've been clearer - I have applied to a number of traineeships and have interviews with a couple of investment management companies over the next couple of weeks. This is what I would ideally do over my year out .
I see - that's what I've heard too but I've also heard that there are so many people studying at competitive universities it does not differentiate you either?? Which is why I though experience from a degree apprenticeship would be useful. Thank you for your insight!
I'm aware econ degrees are v mathematical; I meant the economics degree apprenticeship that I have applied to isn't mathematical.
Original post by DarthRoar
Getting internships is hard, let alone before you've even started university. You certainly can't count on getting one, let alone in your area of preference, but you could be lucky!

It's widely believed that for competitive jobs in the finance industry, you need to go to a top university (classic target/semi target) to get your foot in the door. I think there's truth that you'd struggle to get into a competitive firm having just done an apprenticeship degree, from a meh university no less.

I'm not sure why you think econ degrees aren't very mathematical. They are very, especially at the top universities.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I know this is really old now, but if you guys are still around, then was the apprenticeship route better?
or did you not try it and do the year out plan? I've applied to uni for economics courses.My top choices being bristol and warwick but haven't heard back yet. I was kind of considering not going to uni and going down the apprenticeship route and i've started applying but i'm doubting after reading this thread.do you think uni is a better option for a career in economics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending