The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

dafunkyguy
Welcome littlebee2! Nice to meet you!

It's all right if you just randomly joined this thread...everyone is welcomed here! :smile:

Haha awesome! Are some of you lot from Hong kong or most of you from china?? My parents come from hong kong so i never actually been to Mainland china! Just HK!
Reply 1961
littlebee2
My parents come from hong kong so i never actually been to Mainland china! Just HK!

:smile: Same here
Reply 1962
littlebee2
hiiii xp
Just randomly joined this thread xp!
Its now at least 4 of us xp Me another year 13 BBC haha!
Also applyin to economics as well same as you!!
ummm yea.... hi =))) I'm Carrie ^_^! Nice to meet you all ar!

Hi Carrie, nice of you to join! :biggrin: I think I recognise your username from the econ offers threads, it's comforting to know that you are applying for economics too because there are so many people doing medicine in this thread it's unbelieveable :woo: ...so where are you applying to and have you got any offers yet? ^^

littlebee2
Haha awesome! Are some of you lot from Hong kong or most of you from china?? My parents come from hong kong so i never actually been to Mainland china! Just HK!

Most of us are overseas Chinese(there are several BBCs as you noticed and dafunkyguy who is the leader of the soc is CBC), Wei Wei ( 薇薇公主 ) is a student in Beijing. :biggrin:

I have never been to mainland China either, only to HK but I haven't been to HK for a long time I so wanna go but I just don't have any money! :frown:
Hanoi
Hi Carrie, nice of you to join! :biggrin: I think I recognise your username from the econ offers threads, it's comforting to know that you are applying for economics too because there are so many people doing medicine in this thread it's unbelieveable :woo: ...so where are you applying to and have you got any offers yet? ^^

Most of us are overseas Chinese(there are several BBCs as you noticed and dafunkyguy who is the leader of the soc is CBC), Wei Wei ( 薇薇公主 ) is a student in Beijing. :biggrin:

I have never been to mainland China either, only to HK but I haven't been to HK for a long time I so wanna go but I just don't have any money! :frown:

Haha i thought its typical of chinese to choose subjects like economics and medicine! Ummm applying to Cambridge, lse, warwick, ucl and nottingham! Interview on wed for camb and offer from nottingham! Well done on ur ucl offer! Sooooo jealous ><! really want to go there!!! You heard from anywhere else?

haha yea i don't have any money to go to hk at the moment either! But im saving up so hopefully maybe this summer I will have enough money to go xp!!
Reply 1964
Sorry havent really read the thread? You got an offer from UCL Hanoi! :0 what subject :smile:
littlebee2

Well...I've been to Hong Kong a very long time ago...and I did visit parts of Mainland China. It's pretty polluted in the cities...and I think the pollution levels are worse than Hong Kong...but overall...it's pretty good. :smile:
littlebee2
Haha i thought its typical of chinese to choose subjects like economics and medicine! Ummm applying to Cambridge, lse, warwick, ucl and nottingham! Interview on wed for camb and offer from nottingham! Well done on ur ucl offer! Sooooo jealous ><! really want to go there!!! You heard from anywhere else?

haha yea i don't have any money to go to hk at the moment either! But im saving up so hopefully maybe this summer I will have enough money to go xp!!

The air fares right now are so expensive...and now it takes a longer time to go from Canada to Hong Kong...because the jet stream goes eastwards, while the plane is travelling westwards. This is because the airlines want to save some money...so they're travelling at a slower speed than usual...so there would be more jet lag. It's sad...because it already takes a long time to travel from Canada to Hong Kong.

I really miss Hong Kong...I want to visit there! :woo:
eimi
Sorry havent really read the thread? You got an offer from UCL Hanoi! :0 what subject :smile:

Yay...you're back eimi! &#24184;&#12379;&#12384;&#12394;&#12354;&#65377; :p:

Hanoi has an offer from UCL for Economics! He's so lucky! :biggrin:
Reply 1968
dafunkyguy
Yay...you're back eimi! &#24184;&#12379;&#12384;&#12394;&#12354;&#65377; :p:

Hanoi has an offer from UCL for Economics! He's so lucky! :biggrin:

hehe thanks :smile:

Yes he is very lucky and probably very smart too, I really want to study at UCL!
This forum has progressed alot since I last posted :P!

&#27827;&#31881;~&#27827;&#31881;~
Hanoi
Most of us are overseas Chinese(there are several BBCs as you noticed and dafunkyguy who is the leader of the soc is CBC), Wei Wei ( &#34183;&#34183;&#20844;&#20027; ) is a student in Beijing. :biggrin:

You forgot to introduce yourself! You are a BBC. :p:

I want to visit other parts of Mainland China as well...such as &#19978;&#28023;, &#21271;&#20140;, &#21335;&#20140;, and cities, towns, and villages near &#40643;&#27827;. It is such a beautiful sight in the Chinese countryside...where the air is less polluted and the mountains are indeed majestic.

However...I've only visited a really small part of Mainland China...so it doesn't mean much at all. :frown:

Oh...by the way...we have 3 new members! I just checked the join requests...and I added them all! Now...that brings us to a total of 44 members! :biggrin:

Also...this is the 100th page of our thread! Congratulations to our amazing Chinese Society! :yep:
eimi

Yes he is very lucky and probably very smart too, I really want to study at UCL!

Ahh...you're getting me hungry again! I haven't ate dinner yet...so you're making me craving for food! :p:

Yeah...this thread has progressed a lot. I'm personally surprised that this society has expanded from 5 members in the creation of this society...to 44 members!

It's hard to find this society...so I hope people can start telling other Chinese people about our Chinese Society! :yep:
Reply 1971
littlebee2

Yep, medicine, law, engineering, economics courses must be full of Chinese. :eek3: ^^

Wow good luck on your Cambridge interview, what college are you going for? I know a couple of people who got interviews for Cambridge econ at my school and they have been so scared and nervous....:p: I guess you must be too?

I applied to LSE but I haven't heard anything from them yet, I think they look at the applicants with the best GCSEs first so it would be something like this: week 1 13+A*s; week 2 12+A*s; week 3 11+A*s...they will probably run out of offers before they reach my application so I'm not really too bothered if I get rejected from them as I'd love to go to UCL ^^

I applied to Warwick aswell but I don't really want to go there, it's outside the M25 so it's already too far away!! :o: :p: but their offer is really weird, if you do Further Maths (which I do) then their offer will be AABB inc. Maths and Further Maths however if you don't do FM then your offer is only AABb (b is AS). :s-smilie: Most other top offers are just AAA with a pass in any subject at AS.
Hanoi
Yep, medicine, law, engineering, economics courses must be full of Chinese. :eek3: ^^

Wow good luck on your Cambridge interview, what college are you going for? I know a couple of people who got interviews for Cambridge econ at my school and they have been so scared and nervous....:p: I guess you must be too?

I applied to LSE but I haven't heard anything from them yet, I think they look at the applicants with the best GCSEs first so it would be something like this: week 1 13+A*s; week 2 12+A*s; week 3 11+A*s...they will probably run out of offers before they reach my application so I'm not really too bothered if I get rejected from them as I'd love to go to UCL ^^

I applied to Warwick aswell but I don't really want to go there, it's outside the M25 so it's already too far away!! :o: :p: but their offer is really weird, if you do Further Maths (which I do) then their offer will be AABB inc. Maths and Further Maths however if you don't do FM then your offer is only AABb (b is AS). :s-smilie: Most other top offers are just AAA with a pass in any subject at AS.

Well Warwick would be a great insurance if I do get an offer!! But I don't really wanna go there if I can help it! I applied to Emma at camb! I sooooo scared right now and my frds laugh at me for this but i still haven't decided what to wear hahaha!!!! Did you apply to camb?

And with LSE... I think my gcse is below par so doubt I would get an offer so I realli realli hope ucl gives me an offer! Really hope they do ><! Want it so bad!!!
dafunkyguy
The air fares right now are so expensive...and now it takes a longer time to go from Canada to Hong Kong...because the jet stream goes eastwards, while the plane is travelling westwards. This is because the airlines want to save some money...so they're travelling at a slower speed than usual...so there would be more jet lag. It's sad...because it already takes a long time to travel from Canada to Hong Kong.

I really miss Hong Kong...I want to visit there! :woo:

I miss HK as well!! All the food and things to do!! All the shopping and singing k xp! How long does it take to get from canada to hk? It takes about 11 hours from UK and I see that as very long!
Reply 1974
eimi

Yes as dafunkyguy said it is for econ.^^
So you are yet another BBC? :biggrin:

eimi

HAHA :biggrin: I'm actually not that smart, I really thought that I wouldn't stand a chance at UCL but by pure LUCK I did manage to slip their system and that's how I got an offer, there is simply no other explanation...:p:

Are you also applying to unis or are you at uni already? (sorry if you have answered this :o: ) Why UCL?

littlebee2
Well Warwick would be a great insurance if I do get an offer!! But I don't really wanna go there if I can help it! I applied to Emma at camb! I sooooo scared right now and my frds laugh at me for this but i still haven't decided what to wear hahaha!!!! Did you apply to camb?

And with LSE... I think my gcse is below par so doubt I would get an offer so I realli realli hope ucl gives me an offer! Really hope they do ><! Want it so bad!!!

Yeah I know what you mean, Warwick isn't exactly the place to be if you're a student although it would be a lot cheaper and probably safer than living in London. I didn't apply to Cambridge but I don't know if I regret not doing so or not, but I mostly don't regret it because I know that I would just fail at the interview and my UMS are really really bad so I would risk getting rejected before interview :woo: (at least for places like LSE and UCL they can only know your predicted grades!) also it means that I can concentrate on revising for exams instead of preparing for an interview that I'm going to screw up anyway XD but I don't know if you can call posting on TSR 'revising'. :ninja: :p:
littlebee2
I miss HK as well!! All the food and things to do!! All the shopping and singing k xp! How long does it take to get from canada to hk? It takes about 11 hours from UK and I see that as very long!

It takes around 13 hours from Vancouver to Hong Kong and around 15 hours from Toronto to Hong Kong. These are non-stop flights. If it was a flight that has one stop, which would be from Toronto to Vancouver to Hong Kong, the total time needed would be around 18-20 hours, depending on the delay of the plane.

Now...with the time needed to slow down the plane, it takes even longer! It really sucks with the fact that you're going against the current of the jet stream.

At least you guys in the UK fly in the direction of the jet stream...so it would be faster. :frown:
Reply 1976
Hanoi

Are you also applying to unis or are you at uni already? (sorry if you have answered this :o: ) Why UCL?

Applying for 09 :smile:
I applied last year, but decided I would enjoy a gap year, and realised how much I loved Bartlett (UCL Architecture) :frown:
At first I hated the whole "UCL" london.. top uni thing, I only applied because my mum suggested so, but
When I got there for the interview I realised how much I loved the course there :frown:

You have to be smart or great at your subject :P you're getting offers and interviews from top unis!
Hanoi
HAHA :biggrin: I'm actually not that smart, I really thought that I wouldn't stand a chance at UCL but by pure LUCK I did manage to slip their system and that's how I got an offer, there is simply no other explanation...:p:

Stop being so humble...you're smart! Don't deny it! :wink:

It was not luck that got you an offer from UCL. It was pure intelligence and hard work. :smile:
Reply 1978
eimi
Applying for 09 :smile:
I applied last year, but decided I would enjoy a gap year, and realised how much I loved Bartlett (UCL Architecture) :frown:
At first I hated the whole "UCL" london.. top uni thing, I only applied because my mum suggested so, but
When I got there for the interview I realised how much I loved the course there :frown:

You have to be smart or great at your subject :P you're getting offers and interviews from top unis!

Oh wow another BBC 09 applicant, I think that's 5 of us now ^^ There was another BBC girl on this thread who is also applying for architecture this year (I think that would be ttoffee).

Why did you not want to apply to UCL initially, was it because you didn't like London or because you didn't like the pressure of your parents or something else?

For UCL econ they don't interview at all so you don't really have to be that smart, you just have to have good enough GCSEs (ie no Bs and mostly A*s) and you just need an AAAA prediction and teachers can very easily be persuaded to predict some students higher than they are truly capable of, for example I have heard of people getting ABCin AS (or something along those lines) and being predicted AAA which is absolutly ridiculous, someone with an AAA prediction can apply to anywhere he wants but someone with an ABC will only have liimted choices, there's a huge difference. I don't think that if everyone had to apply with real grades and UMS rather than predictions that I would have a chance at UCL...:o:
Reply 1979
Hello! I'm kinda new to TSR and I just happened to stumble across this thread!

I'm British Born Chinese... my parents are originally from Hong Kong. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest