The Student Room Group

A2 AQA English Panic Room

Okay, so the Synoptic is on Friday. I'm actually okay with that. I ENJOY the war literature (knock on wood), and the three hours doesn't seem that long on the grand scheme of things.

I just CANNOT get my head round Measure for Measure and Lyrical Ballads! It's just... there is so much you have to memorise. I spend ages doing Measure for Measure, then realise I suck at LB. I'm in a state. Anyone else having troubles? How are you approaching it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Synoptic is not on Friday its on the following Wednesday.

Unit 5 (Measure for Measure and Emily Dickinson in my case) is on Friday.

For Measure for Measure am gona do a analysis for each character and then traits in the play such as law and lawlessness, morals, life and death, punishment etc.
Reply 2
Terryw
The Synoptic is not on Friday its on the following Wednesday.

Unit 5 (Measure for Measure and Emily Dickinson in my case) is on Friday.

For Measure for Measure am gona do a analysis for each character and then traits in the play such as law and lawlessness, morals, life and death, punishment etc.

That's strange... it definitely says that it is the other way round for me..

Are you quite sure? I have the sheet in front of me..
Reply 3
Well i have Unit 5 on Friday which i was told to be Measure for Measure etc. And then then Unit 5 as the synoptic. Also, the synoptic I imagine to be longer and on my form its 180mins compared to the 120mins for the other exam.
Reply 4
Hmm that's interesting. My timetable also says that my AQA English Literature Unit 6 Exam (the 180minute synoptic exam) is taking place on Friday 6th June at 2pm.

Check with your school or examinations officer ASAP. Also the exam units should be units FOUR and SIX. Unit FIVE was the coursework unit. It sounds to me that you may be doing English Literature SPECIFICATION B, whilst the OP and I are discussing Specification A.

Also, some advice on Lyrical Ballads: when you look at the poems keep Wordsworth and Coleridge's aims in mind (their aims are listed in an Advertisement written by Wordsworth [surprise] that should be in the front of your edition). They wanted to write about "human passions, human characters and human incidents". Look through all the poems with this in mind and it will give you a good starting point for analysis as well as links between the poems. This is only a stating point and you'll have to do seem deeper analysis, picking out other common themes etc, but it'll get you started and make things easier to remember.
Reply 5
No, Friday is Measure for Measure etc, the Synoptic is on the 11th.

My 2 English teachers said we will get the pre-release material on the Friday after our Measure for Measure exam.

Having googled this it seems i am right. But shall be double checking tomorrow with my teachers.
Reply 6
no friday is synoptic, i have hamlet and john clare (unit 5)on the 11th
Reply 7
emilina
no friday is synoptic, i have hamlet and john clare (unit 5)on the 11th

My exam thingy says and i quote
Date Baord Series Session Time Exam Length
06-06-2008 70 6A PM 1.45 GCE ENG LIT UNIT 5 120

11-06-2008 70 6A PM 1.45 GCE ENG LIT UNIT 6 180
Reply 8
this is what mine says (for synoptic anyway)
Reply 9
Why oh why is mine different? I shall have to speak to the exams officer tomorrow and my English teachers. So it seems you guys do the Synoptic before me, maybe you could give me hints on what they ask heeh
Reply 10
Gone slightly OT here, guys! It sounds like he is doing a different spec to us, seeing as I've not been informed of any pre release malarkey.

Also, thanks to need2revise for your help, that's good advice.

Keep 'em coming!
Your doing AQA B by the sound of it Terry, we're doing AQA A.
Reply 12
It's on friday. LTA6 WW1 wider reading etc. Fill me with knowledge!! quick!
My Unit5 is on friday... we did our synoptic in Jan :smile:
Reply 14
Joe555
It's on friday. LTA6 WW1 wider reading etc. Fill me with knowledge!! quick!

lmao :ditto:

also i have a question, on the 11th is it unit four or five? coz mine says unit four . . :confused: sorry OP i cant help with your actual question, im doing diff texts :p:
Reply 15
Tinkerbee
My Unit5 is on friday... we did our synoptic in Jan :smile:

How did you do? Any hints or tips?
Joe555
How did you do? Any hints or tips?

I got an A

sorry, no hints, as I cried after Id done it as I was sure I was going to have to repeat :confused:
Sorry!
Reply 17
I'm feeling semi-confident for Friday's war in literature, sort of the same about John Clare but not feeling good at all for Hamlet! Any one have any miraculous methods for getting to grips with it? I just don't like it :frown:
Reply 18
Gazza_C
I'm feeling semi-confident for Friday's war in literature, sort of the same about John Clare but not feeling good at all for Hamlet! Any one have any miraculous methods for getting to grips with it? I just don't like it :frown:

ok ill try you, i dont think the last person took me seriously. if you can help me with john clare, i can help you with hamlet lol.
Reply 19
Get the Hamlet york notes.
I def have ww1 on friday and unit4 the next week. I have a nasty combo of lyrical ballads and hamlet; feeling okay for hamlet but lyrical ballads not at all.

Check out this thread for AMAZING tips and stuff on war writing
But don't depend on it obviously :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=239939

Latest