The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i don't really think there's a set number that you really do....quantity over quality and all that, and i'd suppose that ones that have some relation to medicine are more useful than those that are completely unrelated.
ideally you do them cos you enjoy them, not just to get into med school, right?....
Reply 2
yeah i chose them cause I enjoy them but I'm just worried I won't have enough to say about them =[
Reply 3
join a sport or talk about your interest in them. uni's like people to fill their sports teams and it also shows team-work and just add's another string to your bow...
Reply 4
Just talk about how they help you unwind when you're stressed, medicine's going to be hard work, they want people who have effective ways of managing stress :smile:
Volunteer work? Debating? Prefect? Sport?
Reply 6
I was think volunteering but that isnt really extracurricular, rather work experience right?

I'm sure most medicine-orientated people arent interested in debating - hardly a stress reliever, and if your not into sports your running out of options. Maybe fishing, cycling, swimming, orienteering, kayaking, river rafting, rock climbing all good activities that require team work etc
Reply 7
The following is not a definitive guide, it is what I believe, in consultation with colleagues, an applicant should be aiming to achieve prior to application.

1. It is not Work Experience, Voluntary Work, Work or Extra-Curriculars that counts, it's experience of the above.

2. Through your experience you should demonstrate an understanding of the role of a (junior) doctor in modern medicine in both a primary and secondary care settings.

3. Through your experience you should demonstrate an understanding of caring for people and the harsh realities of illness.

4. Through your experience you should develop skills that would be applicable to medicine, including but not limited to; communication, patience, responsibility, accuracy, punctuality, reliability, team work, individual work, leadership, teaching, learning, etc.

That's really about it. It doesn't matter whether you learn about the above as a paid HCA, volunteer nursing assistant or sixth-former mindlessly following a consultant for a few days, just so long as you learn it.
YoSuis
How many extra curricular activites do you really need to do?

What kind of question is that? :p:

Answer: As many as you want. Theyre meant to be enjoyable, not a chore!
Reply 9
extra curriculars are just really a way of saying that you may do something in uni other than just go to lectures, and you will have something else in your life that can take your mind of medicine and help you relax. And also show some skills like teamwork etc or develop them in the first place
you dont need a sport if you dont like that kind of thing, its just that lots of people ifnd it a good way to relieve stress etc

Latest

Trending

Trending