The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I understand that sometimes League Tables are self-fulfilling prophecies. But if Notts truly have strength in general, as some have claimed here, then the elasticity of the demand by its applicants shouldn't be large. But clearly atm the statistic shows there are other alternatives to Notts in general. How is that shown?
As you have said Nott used to be top 6th in entry standards and now according to times 15th in entry standards.
This fall can be conclude that top applicant are being drawn away to other universities (or Nott's alternatives).

One might argue that the current safety issue in Notts can be blamed for this. I agree to some extent but I disagree that it is a main issue that caused Nott's fall.
Why? Again the argument is the alternative choice. If Notts is truly remarkably great in general then it might fall due to safety issues but not that great. Such is evident in Notts Law and Economic Applicants. They have no better alternatives, under they condition, even taking safety issue into account.

If Nott is truly great and reputed as the top 10 then Notts would not fail to attract strong applicants as they had before. But clearly there are better alternatives to Notts in subject that Notts is not reputed at.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
TSRreader
I understand that sometimes League Tables are self-fulfilling prophecies. But if Notts truly have strength in general, as some have claimed here, then the elasticity of the demand by its applicants shouldn't be large. But clearly atm the statistic shows there are other alternatives to Notts in general. How is that shown?
As you have said Nott used to be top 6th in entry standards and now according to times 15th in entry standards.
This fall can be conclude that top applicant are being drawn away to other universities (or Nott's alternatives).

One might argue that the current safety issue in Notts can be blamed for this. I agree to some extent but I disagree that it is a main issue that caused Nott's fall.
Why? Again the argument is the alternative choice. If Notts is truly remarkably great in general then it might fall due to safety issues but not that great. Such is evident in Notts Law and Economic Applicants. They have no better alternatives, under they condition, even taking safety issue into account.

If Nott is truly great and reputed as the top 10 then Notts would not fail to attract strong applicants as they had before. But clearly there are better alternatives to Notts in subject that Notts is not reputed at.

The drop in applicants happened at the same time Nottingham massivley increased its student numbers. Before this it had the highest applicants for some years and the highest competition for places, it was just incredibly unlucky that at a time it was expanding and trying to take advantage of its popularity this crime thing took off, and students numbers correlate to entry standards, but even still with the sharp drop it was always top ten for tariff, this year seems a bit of an anomolie. You cannot underestimate the crime issues effects, I agree there are so many 'top ten' unis to choose from, at least 12, and all are very similar, and when I applied I was consistently told 'why Nottingham, isnt the crime terrible.' and even still almost everyone in the country seems to know about 'shottingham', you cant blame a student for reconsidering there options, given that it is still very hard to get into, when they are told by the Times that if they leave the house they will be shot with an uzi, which is utter tripe btw.
I think employers haven't taken notice that Nottingham has dropped out of the 'top 10' as more students from Nottingham get into investment banking than Bristol/Durham/St.Andrews/Edinburgh/Bath etc.
Reply 83
TSRreader

I'm certain it plays a much larger role than you're giving it credit for. Often teachers will talk positively about Nottingham, yet pupils will disregard it due to crime stories. Apart from myself, no one at my school is considering Nottingham due to the high levels of crime - even if they love the course, the university, etc. This same situation occurs at plenty of schools.
.ACS.
I'm certain it plays a much larger role than you're giving it credit for. Often teachers will talk positively about Nottingham, yet pupils will disregard it due to crime stories. Apart from myself, no one at my school is considering Nottingham due to the high levels of crime - even if they love the course, the university, etc. This same situation occurs at plenty of schools.

Do you go to a grammar or private school? There were 5 students that went to Nottm from my school!
Reply 85
AfghanistanBananistan
but even still with the sharp drop it was always top ten for tariff, this year seems a bit of an anomolie.

Nor was it for 2008, I can't find the later years league tables.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?sort=ENTRY

AfghanistanBananistan
... I agree there are so many 'top ten' unis to choose from, at least 12, and all are very similar, and when I applied I was consistently told 'why Nottingham, isnt the crime terrible.' and even still almost everyone in the country seems to know about 'shottingham', you cant blame a student for reconsidering there options, given that it is still very hard to get into, when they are told by the Times that if they leave the house they will be shot with an uzi, which is utter tripe btw.

Surely the Economic and Law student would also be affected by this?
But they weren't as great as the university as a whole. It's possible that those number that formerly belonged to Notts have gone to other top 10 but surely those other top already near filled without Notts' lost numbers. It's fair to conclude that those numbers may have gone to out of top 10. And it's tempting to say that this lose on Notts allowed another unis to enter top 10. But which uni have replaced Notts in top 10 for entry tariffs?

If there isn't such an uni then there are two possible reasons.
(A) The tariff are heavily divided amongst the out of top 10.
(B) Notts' lost tariff isn't significantly large

If it was B, this implies the current league table's entry tariff are largely due to increase of grades amongst recent students. And Nott didn't get the new share in this increase which ultimately pushed it down.

If it was A, then that would mean Nott's relatively weak in other subject compared to its reputed ones. Why? Because the alternatives is not just a few but many.

Notts' crime rate might be high but if its truly reputably strong in other subjects then the student wouldn't find comparative advantage in other unis outside the top 10.

As you can see, I just wish to understand how the current things can be any proof that Notts was a reputed uni as a few claimed here.
Nottingham had higher entry points than UCL on that table. Now many people wouldn't believe that now would they, or believe a few points would make a huge difference. Nottingham has a few ****ty courses like media and american studies, but it's traditional courses like architecture/english/history/politics/law/maths/physics/economics/business/medicine/pharmacy are certainly very respected.
Reply 87
prospectivEEconomist
I think employers haven't taken notice that Nottingham has dropped out of the 'top 10' as more students from Nottingham get into investment banking than Bristol/Durham/St.Andrews/Edinburgh/Bath etc.

Do you have anything to back up such a statement? Because I find that extremely hard to believe.
TSRreader
Nor was it for 2008, I can't find the later years league tables.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?sort=ENTRY

Surely the Economic and Law student would also be affected by this?
But they weren't as great as the university as a whole. It's possible that those number that formerly belonged to Notts have gone to other top 10 but surely those other top already near filled without Notts' lost numbers. It's fair to conclude that those numbers may have gone to out of top 10. And it's tempting to say that this lose on Notts allowed another unis to enter top 10. But which uni have replaced Notts in top 10 for entry tariffs?

If there isn't such an uni then there are two possible reasons.
(A) The tariff are heavily divided amongst the out of top 10.
(B) Notts' lost tariff isn't significantly large

If it was B, this implies the current league table's entry tariff are largely due to increase of grades amongst recent students. And Nott didn't get the new share in this increase which ultimately pushed it down.

If it was A, then that would mean Nott's relatively weak in other subject compared to its reputed ones. Why? Because the alternatives is not just a few but many.

Notts' crime rate might be high but if its truly reputably strong in other subjects then the student wouldn't find comparative advantage in other unis outside the top 10.

As you can see, I just wish to understand how the current things can be any proof that Notts was a reputed uni as a few claimed here.

The actual reason for the tariff drop has been the large increase in the number of courses. In the last few years this has been immense, with countless added. Now the tariff has remained very high for the main courses such as straight History, English etc, but they have added English with portugese or History with czech and a host of random things. When they had loads of applicants this was okay because they could fill them, but now they cannot and as such these courses that arent as popular and their tariffs bring the universities down. Unis like Durham or St Andrews dont have this number of courses, they only have maybe 4 or 5 in a department, and as such there tariffs have remained the same. Oh and btw, the tariffs for law and economic have dropped, as well as the applicant numbers as well. Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you have against Notts, posting on this forum and all. If you dont think it is that good outside of law and economics then why because you dont say, and who is better?
ElemenT'
Do you have anything to back up such a statement? Because I find that extremely hard to believe.

I do not but I am pretty sure any informed person would say the same; just go to the ib forum and ask. :smile:
AfghanistanBananistan
The actual reason for the tariff drop has been the large increase in the number of courses. In the last few years this has been immense, with countless added. Now the tariff has remained very high for the main courses such as straight History, English etc, but they have added English with portugese or History with czech and a host of random things. When they had loads of applicants this was okay because they could fill them, but now they cannot and as such these courses that arent as popular and their tariffs bring the universities down. Unis like Durham or St Andrews dont have this number of courses, they only have maybe 4 or 5 in a department, and as such there tariffs have remained the same. Oh and btw, the tariffs for law and economic have dropped, as well as the applicant numbers as well. Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you have against Notts, posting on this forum and all. If you dont think it is that good outside of law and economics then why because you dont say, and who is better?

Bang on. The economics department offer a vast number of (largely) pointless joint honors courses and include:

Economics and Econometrics BSc Hons
International Economics BA Hons
International Economics BSc Hons
Economics with Chinese Studies BA Hons
Economics with French BA Hons
Economics with German BA Hons
Economics with Hispanic Studies BA Hons
Economics with Russian BA Hons
Economics and Philosophy BA Hons

The entry tariff of the combined department is 480 for 07 entry. I would imagine the joint honors courses would have significantly lower tariff points than straight economics and thus bring the score down.480 one hell of a high score as top departments like UCL/Warwick only offer straight economics and have a similar ucas score.
Reply 91
I'll take that as a no then.
ElemenT'

I thought it was a pretty well known fact that Notts is really liked by employers, and it is again a well known fact in IB circles and also in magic circle law firms that Notts is more targeted than the unis mentioned. Mainly because of its reputable law and economic depts's. If you look at the IB forum, it is stated that outside of Oxbridge, Lse, Imperial, Ucl Warwick Notts and Bristol you stand little chance of getting a front office job, and even in the times graduate recruitment book it states at the beginning that the universties most likely to be targeted this year by city firms are Cambridge, Warwick, London, Manchester and Nottingham, and the recent high fliers survey in the city said Nottingham was the third most employable univesities. These are all simple facts, cant argue with them.
ElemenT'
I'll take that as a no then.

Why would Meryl lynch and JPMorgan sponsor the economics department if they have no intention of recruiting the students? :rolleyes:
Reply 94
AfghanistanBananistan

I have nothing against Nottingham. Like I said before I think Nottingham is a good university. All I questioned was its claimed reputation by the posters here. The reason why I used Law and Economics because they are the only courses that I am certain of their reputation.

I accept that Nottingham's entry tariff have been lowered by introducing new subjects. But Nott is not the only one with those uncommon subjects so does UCL, St Andrews and Edinburgh. U St Andrews offers a variety of different subjects. But I will leave out St Andrew in further discussion as St Andrew is more like an American system. I don't think I can comment further on Nottingham's previous reputation as I lacked any solid information about it. But I yet to see any solid proof that Nottingham University's overall reputation is as high as the top 4-8.

Tbh, all of this is out of curiosity of an international student. Since everyone's opinion varies in quite disparity proportion about university reputation, I feel compelled to understand why an X uni is rated so high instead of just taking it from word of mouth.

Prospective Economists, why do you think those Economic Joints are pointless? (Economics and Econometrics) and (Economics and Mathematics) are joints more useful for postgraduate economic studies than single economics. Economics with Chinese Studies allow student to take a focus on Chinese Economy. They all have speciality. And I doubt the joint economics drag down Nottingham more than UCL. Nottingham's economic joint are all AAA while Economics with European Studies in UCL is like ABB.

Edit: It is possible that JP Morgan sponsored the Economic Department for research other than just recruiting students.
Mrgd291190
I always thought that it was easily on a par with Bristol, Warwick, those ranks but I know what you mean about the rankings, I look at some, namely politics and it's 19th I think in the most recent Times which seems incredibly low.

As I'm sure you've guessed, I want to study Politics so if you have any opinions on the dept... :puppyeyes:
I'm after doing their new MSci, know anything about it?

Sorry if this is annoying :frown:

Many thanks :smile:

The Department is really good from my experience. I know plenty of people, including myself, who rejected the likes of Warwick, Britsol and York to come here. The main reason for this is the flexibility of the course. You are able to choose pretty much any module you like, unlike at Warwick which is pretty theory based and you have to study a language. Moreover, the atmosphere is really layed back amongst the students and we all had a realy good time, not to the detriment of grades (i think the average tariff has been around the 420's so the people you study with are pretty smart). Its definately on the up as well since loads of new professors have come form top uni's in preparation for the next RAE and they seem to be the best in their fields because they write most of the core text books. I dont know much about the new course you mentioned but there was a bit of a buzz when it was touted. It seems pretty unique and with a AAA offer it will no doubt become a flagship course. So in short Notts is definately a great option, i certainly dont regret rejecting the uni's i mentioned above to go there.
TSRreader

Edit: It is possible that JP Morgan sponsored the Economic Department for research other than just recruiting students.

Although I know little of the ins and outs of the economics department those two things invariably go hand in hand. A company with research links to certain academics will generally favour applications from graduates recommended by those academics.
Reply 97
Just to mention that nobody can compel you to attend one or another uni, so it's pointless to argue whether Nottingham is a reputable one or not. Obviously, for those of us, who have chosen it or plan to do so, it definitely is.

If you, TSRreader or anyone else has doubts about its quality and reputaion just ignore it as an option and choose one of those universities, which you consider that are better for you :wink:

P.S And just for the record, Nottingham is gradually regaining its former ranking (from couple of years ago when it used to be always Top 15/10) in those notorious universities league tables, that apparently mean everything to so many people. Let me present you two of the most popular, those of The Times and Good University guide:

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6524 (here it is just before Bristol and Edinburgh if you notice)

Enjoy :wink:
Reply 98
prospectivEEconomist
Bang on. The economics department offer a vast number of (largely) pointless joint honors courses and include:

Economics with French BA Hons

What is pointless about this degree? It allows people to persue more than one interest and potentially develop a career abroad. Languages students are in high demand by employers, so I have heard...
Reply 99
hmjessop
What is pointless about this degree? It allows people to persue more than one interest and potentially develop a career abroad. Languages students are in high demand by employers, so I have heard...

I entirely agree with this, languages students really are in high demand in all european countries nowadays!

Latest

Trending

Trending