The Student Room Group

i want to do biomedical science but i dont want to be a biomedical scientist

::frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
i'm really not sure, all i know is that i 100% don't want to be a teacher and i don't want to be working in a lab. i love talking to people, and studying science on a school/degree level and honestly i was planning on doing a good science degree at uni so that i am qualified in /something/ (because i dont see the point in spending £42k if it doesn't qualify me for anything) and when i graduate i can choose to either stay within science or go on to something different like maybe do some work experience in film or something
thank you so much :smile: yeah i keep thinking if im gonna do biomed why dont i just do medicine but medicine is entirely different and requires so much work experience and dedication which i dont think i have and a lot of unis dont accept re-sit students for med :frown: i got A*BB at a-level and i am hoping to get A*AA at a-level next summer as my CAGs were so unfair :frown:
You may also want to look at other similar biomolecular oriented degrees as well as biomedical sciences, which may be more or less focused (depending on the options you take) on human health, such as e.g. physiology, anatomy, pharmacology, neuroscience, biochemistry or cell/molecular/developmental biology etc.

The latter will often have ample opportunity to focus on e.g. the molecular basis of disease, cell signalling in disease, etc, as human health and disease is a major research area within that/those fields (depending on whether you view them as strictly separate areas or gradations of the same field, as oppose to the other slightly more specific fields). All those courses will have some overlap in content anyway, just slightly different shifts in the emphasis and eventual options available to you typically.

I would note that on any such degree you would need to do at least a moderate amount of labwork however. As none of those courses has any specific associated career with it so as with anyone studying any other non-professional degree (i.e. the vast majority of degree subjects) you can (and probably will) apply to generalist grad schemes in e.g. business, financial services, media, the civil service, etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
You may also want to look at other similar biomolecular oriented degrees as well as biomedical sciences, which may be more or less focused (depending on the options you take) on human health, such as e.g. physiology, anatomy, pharmacology, neuroscience, biochemistry or cell/molecular/developmental biology etc.

The latter will often have ample opportunity to focus on e.g. the molecular basis of disease, cell signalling in disease, etc, as human health and disease is a major research area within that/those fields (depending on whether you view them as strictly separate areas or gradations of the same field, as oppose to the other slightly more specific fields). All those courses will have some overlap in content anyway, just slightly different shifts in the emphasis and eventual options available to you typically.

I would note that on any such degree you would need to do at least a moderate amount of labwork however. As none of those courses has any specific associated career with it so as with anyone studying any other non-professional degree (i.e. the vast majority of degree subjects) you can (and probably will) apply to generalist grad schemes in e.g. business, financial services, media, the civil service, etc.

thank you so so much :smile:
Original post by cherrybunny
is this stupid of me? i am v interested in studying science at uni, and biomed combines biology/chemistry/medicine together in a 3 year degree which means i'll only be 22 when i hopefully graduate so i can do a post-grad in something else. i have no ambition whatsoever to be a biomed scientist but i enjoy studying science at school/will enjoy it at uni. i was looking at biochemistry, chemistry or biology but none of them inspire me as much as studying biomed despite the fact that i do not want to be a biomedical scientist.

Hi @cherrybunny,

Reading this question you really sound like me a few years ago. I am a recent Biomedical Science graduate from UCLan and just like you I wanted to study Biomed just to stay in the sciences but not necessarily because I wanted to work at a Biomedical Scientist (I hate labs :u:). I was undecided between Biomed and Medical sciences as those were the only two things I felt I could do with my science background at secondary level and didnt know what else I wanted to do so I went for Biomed because I thought it'd open up more doors for me upon graduation.
And it did. Upon graduation I actually realised most jobs/Masters couses need you to have graduated with a 2:1 or above in pretty much any discipline which led me to working in marketing and now also pursuing a Masters in Digital Marketing. Big change, I know but I hope this encourages you to continue keeping your optons open and study what inspires you the most now.

I'm sure everything will work out for you and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them!

Best of luck,
Amarachi
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi @cherrybunny,

Reading this question you really sound like me a few years ago. I am a recent Biomedical Science graduate from UCLan and just like you I wanted to study Biomed just to stay in the sciences but not necessarily because I wanted to work at a Biomedical Scientist (I hate labs :u:). I was undecided between Biomed and Medical sciences as those were the only two things I felt I could do with my science background at secondary level and didnt know what else I wanted to do so I went for Biomed because I thought it'd open up more doors for me upon graduation.
And it did. Upon graduation I actually realised most jobs/Masters couses need you to have graduated with a 2:1 or above in pretty much any discipline which led me to working in marketing and now also pursuing a Masters in Digital Marketing. Big change, I know but I hope this encourages you to continue keeping your optons open and study what inspires you the most now.

I'm sure everything will work out for you and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them!

Best of luck,
Amarachi

omg yes! that's exactly how i feel! thank you so much for this, it made me feel a lot calmer about my situation :smile:
omg yes! that's exactly how i feel! thank you so much for this, it made me feel a lot calmer about my situation :smile:

Hi @cherrybunny,

I am so glad I could bring some reassurance and I'm sure you will ace whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes,
Amarachi
Reply 8
thank you so much :smile: yeah i keep thinking if im gonna do biomed why dont i just do medicine but medicine is entirely different and requires so much work experience and dedication which i dont think i have and a lot of unis dont accept re-sit students for med :frown: i got A*BB at a-level and i am hoping to get A*AA at a-level next summer as my CAGs were so unfair :frown:

I think October and summer exams are not classed as resit as you did not take the CAGS
Original post by Max4722
I think October and summer exams are not classed as resit as you did not take the CAGS

sadly UCL said that you would only not be a re-sit if you took them in october :frown: and i want to go to ucl, it's so frustrating and unfair
I find the "I hate labs" line quite funny. It's quite a common line. People often base it on their experiences of lab at school/college/uni. In the NHS, we take the piss out of some of the things our University lecturers used to come out with. NHS laboratories are nothing alike. Not for everyone, but it's something you have to experience to really know if it's for you.
Original post by RegisteredBMS
I find the "I hate labs" line quite funny. It's quite a common line. People often base it on their experiences of lab at school/college/uni. In the NHS, we take the piss out of some of the things our University lecturers used to come out with. NHS laboratories are nothing alike. Not for everyone, but it's something you have to experience to really know if it's for you.

thank you :smile: i hope to get work experience somehow in an NHS lab
Original post by RegisteredBMS

Hi @RegisteredBMS,

That's an interesting point you have made there and I must admit for a quick second I contemplated going back to pursuing Biomedical Science. I'm sure labs at uni are different from 'real' labs so thanks for bringing light into this.

Best wishes,
Amarachi
Reply 13
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi @cherrybunny,

Best of luck,
Amarachi

Hi there what advice would you give to someone who has a 2:2 degree what post grad qualifications are possible for someone with this ?
Reply 14
Hi there
What advice would you give to someone who has a 2:2 biomedical sciences degree? What post grad options are available? Currently working as a band 6 in the NHS and want to change career path.
Original post by aa285136
Hi there
What advice would you give to someone who has a 2:2 biomedical sciences degree? What post grad options are available? Currently working as a band 6 in the NHS and want to change career path.

Hi there @aa285136, :smile:

Thank you for your message!

Let me find out some more information and I will get back to you soon.

Many thanks,
Sarah
Original post by aa285136
Hi there what advice would you give to someone who has a 2:2 degree what post grad qualifications are possible for someone with this ?

Hi there @aa285136,

If you are wanting to work with patients in a clinical role here at UCLan we offer a MSc Physician Associate Practice course. Entry requirements do include a 2:1, but depending on what your band 6 job involves there may be room for discussion if you have experience. You are welcome to contact our [email protected] for further advice.

Another option is if you are interested in working in labs then we offer a MSc Cancer Biology and Therapy which we ask for a 2:2.

If you are interested in going down more research route we also offer MRes Medical Sciences or MRes Neuroscience.

Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending