The Student Room Group

Should I (an American) apply to Oxford for a BA in Jurisprudence?

Essentially the title, I want to know whether or not it’s a good idea for me to apply to Oxford before I invest time filling out the UCAS, sitting the LNAT, and so on; I know Oxford is a fantastic education, but I was hoping y’all could clear up some possible misconceptions and questions for me:

My conception of the Oxford (and other European schools) is that my undergraduate degree will function as my law degree and no further education would be needed. I know if I wish to stay in the UK I would have to get further education to become a solicitor or barrister, but I am mainly attracted to Oxford’s international law program where I study in the Netherlands for a year to study European law. Would my BA in Jurisprudence from Oxford enable to me to find good work throughout Europe (or perhaps back in the states)?

I also hope y’all could give me insight on how easy/reasonable it would be for an American with an English law degree to find a job in international/European law.
As someone who is applying for the same course I must say I am not 100% sure but I know that for Law with French you do cover European/ French law while on your year abroad. I am assuming that it does qualify you to be a legal practitioner abroad but will definitely need to do some sort of additional training or further study in the said country as it is law with European studies and not Law with European law if that makes sense
Essentially if you secure a training contract abroad a lot of the time you can study as well just to consolidate knowledge which may have been missed out
Also if you qualify in the uk, you are not qualified in the US as it is a completely different legal system and therefore you will have to pay more more to qualify back home which is a waste

Latest

Trending

Trending