The Student Room Group

Astro Turf knee protection

I've just started regularly playing on astro turf pitches. Problem is it is sandy stuff that will cut you up big time if you fall over

Aside from rolling socks up over knees (uncomfortable)
and wearing trousers (uncomfortable)

Anyone have any tips on how to protect the old knees?

I spose the alternative is to wear those badnage type things that just slip on over you knees that peopel wear for support - they are more flexible than football socks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just get a padded knee bandage dude.
trousers don't help at all, i tore through mine the first time i wore them on astroturf. Those knee things are cheap (have seen them in the pound shop), so thats probably your best bet.
Reply 3
Terryw
Tubigrip

A few layers of that too aye.
Reply 4
being a keeper and playing on astro-turf is the worst. I just played without anything and throughout the season at university football had no skin on my knees the whole time. Training on astro-turf was the worst. Ended up playing the final game of the season in so much pain. big burns and scabs healed over then ripped off over and over again hurt alot. ended up infected too. it affected my performance!
Reply 5
Terryw
Yeah thats what i meant lol

Hehe, cool :cool:
Reply 6
just take it like a man!
my knees are permanently a mess because of astroturf
Reply 7
mmmmm

what do you friends do? because you dont want to turn up looking silly.

EDIT- cos my first comment wasnt very supportive :smile:
Reply 8
if your a keeper. you can't help being on the floor :wink:
Reply 9
Where's my post gone? Surely nobody plays on astro with knee protection? It's not american football
man up.
There's a reason why slide tackles aren't allowed in most competitive astro-turf leagues.

Try working on your balance so you don't fall over as often, or learn how to fall so you don't cut your knees.
Reply 12
It wasn't the question I was expecting about astroturf...but I'm spreading the word anyway! My brother has just has to have surgery on one of his knees because, in the consultants words "playing sport on astroturf ruins them". He has old man knees, all the cartilige has rubbed off, muscles, tendons and ligaments aren't correctly aligned anymore. So eight weeks with his leg strapped up. At least it's easier to push him over :smile: lol.
kamie
It wasn't the question I was expecting about astroturf...but I'm spreading the word anyway! My brother has just has to have surgery on one of his knees because, in the consultants words "playing sport on astroturf ruins them". He has old man knees, all the cartilige has rubbed off, muscles, tendons and ligaments aren't correctly aligned anymore. So eight weeks with his leg strapped up. At least it's easier to push him over :smile: lol.

A good response to all this man up crap there :yy:

I'd have thought support bandages like tubigrip would just get torn through or messed up within one or two goes?
I reckon a wrapping would be decent and probably more cost effective, but i've no idea which tbh.
I've got torn knee ligaments and very bad knees from playing alot on astro, but I don't strap up to avoid astro burns, it's just an occupational hazard of playing on it.
If you actually have problems with your knees then look at mountain bike knee guards, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27241
Although overkill for football they give very good protection.
Reply 16
kamie

That's talking about a repetitive strain injury though, which astro causes because there is no give underfoot, not a burn from falling over on the stuff which tends to happen very rarely unless someone does slideys!

I've played competitively on astro for two seasons without ever needing to protect the arl knees.
TomStudent
mmmmm

what do you friends do? because you dont want to turn up looking silly.

EDIT- cos my first comment wasnt very supportive :smile:

Dont worry I am cool enough to set the trends.

People either wear tracksuits or play without nay protection - one guy f'd up his knee big time this week from falling over

The only real damage I have doen was falling over on my elbow which scraped off a fair bit of skin.
I've been playing on astroturf twice a week for 15 years now and every week without fail one or two of my team get friction burns on their knees and blood dribbling down their legs. It used to be a weekly occurrence for me until I started wearing the red and blue thermal knee supports. I have been using the same pair for 8 years now and have only had one friction burn whilst wearing them. They have now worn a couple of holes in them and need replacing.
It
Original post by ManCity R p00p
I've been playing on astroturf twice a week for 15 years now and every week without fail one or two of my team get friction burns on their knees and blood dribbling down their legs. It used to be a weekly occurrence for me until I started wearing the red and blue thermal knee supports. I have been using the same pair for 8 years now and have only had one friction burn whilst wearing them. They have now worn a couple of holes in them and need replacing.
It

Holy threadbump batman.

I've seen some major grave digging on this forum but I don't think I've ever seen anybody revive a near 7 year old thread before!

Quick Reply

Latest