The Student Room Group

A-level Deisgn NEA ideas

Hey, I'm really struggling at the moment to think of something to do for my NEA. We can do anything as long as it is a problem/thing that need to be solved/created. I must also have a person to sort it for. So for example a new interactive tablet fo the use of children in pre-school. I want to do something architectural so any ideas that include buildings would help! thanks.
Hey,
I'm currentyl in the process of choosing my design new and Im not sure what to do. WE can do basically anything thing as long as it solves/creates a problem/thing for a specific person. For example, creating a new type of interactive tablet that can be used primarily by children at pre-school. However, I want to to the more architectural side of the NEA, so any ideas which include architecture would be real helpful. Thanks!
It's good to have a client in mind as it's better coming up with problems. Idk much about architecture but you make something that could complement with the architecture of your client (for example, my school's altar was made by their past student's DT NEA and it still is in our school to this day) @CoolCavy do you have any advice for OP?
Original post by BenJsmith1231
Hey,
I'm currentyl in the process of choosing my design new and Im not sure what to do. WE can do basically anything thing as long as it solves/creates a problem/thing for a specific person. For example, creating a new type of interactive tablet that can be used primarily by children at pre-school. However, I want to to the more architectural side of the NEA, so any ideas which include architecture would be real helpful. Thanks!

Hi,
Is this for A-level or GCSE? I did product design at GCSE and made some fun containers that were made to help young children with portion control.
At a GCSE level it would be hard to make a product based off architecture, however, you could link so of your further research into something to do with architecture.
I hope this helps a little :smile:
Original post by Becca216
Hi,
Is this for A-level or GCSE? I did product design at GCSE and made some fun containers that were made to help young children with portion control.
At a GCSE level it would be hard to make a product based off architecture, however, you could link so of your further research into something to do with architecture.
I hope this helps a little :smile:

Yeah this does thanks! This is for A-level.
Hey! Sorry for the late reply
The best idea is to brainstorm things you are interested and coming off of those brainstorms have other ones about potential problems in that area. To do this you might need to do a bit of research or ask people (easiest done over questionnaire given the current circumstances) but its always good to have a problem to base your product on because then you can get accurate feedback from your client (the person you are designing it for). It also helps if you are interested in the topic you are designing for as you need to be able to carry this for the entire year.
You can actually do architectural models at A-level, its uncommon since teachers dont always know you can do this and are unsure of the marking criteria around it but one girl in my a-level class made an architectural model of a new type of gym (she was a personal trainer outside of school). It could be worth exploring this option if that's what you are really into :smile:
What exam board are you doing because for me today AQA have just released the contextual challenges and I have three the pick from but what exam board are you doing?
Reply 7
Original post by Beechey23
What exam board are you doing because for me today AQA have just released the contextual challenges and I have three the pick from but what exam board are you doing?

Hi is this for alevel because I was wondering if you could tell me what the contexts are if it is, as my teacher hasn’t told us this yet, thanks :smile:
Original post by RoseRip
Hi is this for alevel because I was wondering if you could tell me what the contexts are if it is, as my teacher hasn’t told us this yet, thanks :smile:

hi, sorry for the late reply :smile:
I don't know if you realise but the NEA requires you to find a problem and a client. For example I know someone who is creating a product for bike storage in tight areas. they have found a client who can give them feedback on it, and that's it! I decided to do an architectural project, a new building for a department within my school, the current one is falling apart - so there is the issue. You just need to find an issue and solve it. hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Beechey23

I'm on edexcel :smile:
@CoolCavy hi, how would I explain to my teacher you can do architecture models?

she says that the product must be functional and refuses me from doing stuff like that.

Quick Reply

Latest