The Student Room Group

War veteran visited by police after Twitter joke about Brexit

Scroll to see replies

If I was ever to be a police officer, I hope they put my duties like this, visiting people for posting dumb **** online, much better than fighting thugs in the streets.
Reply 41
Original post by winterscoming
The news story is simply the police performing a routine part of their job -- they visit hundreds of people every day. The consequence is someone having a very small part of their day briefly interrupted for a few minutes.

Look, I honestly don't mean to be funny but... are you a lefty? No Daily Mail reader would trivialise it in that way, that's what I mean.
Original post by z-hog
Look, I honestly don't mean to be funny but... are you a lefty? No Daily Mail reader would trivialise it in that way, that's what I mean.

It's funny you mention that paper, since it's one of the worst offenders when it comes to blatant non-stories designed to rile people up over absolutely nothing; they've been getting away with it for decades, and they rely heavily on faux-outrage to sell newspapers. (Obviously not just them, other tabloids like Metro, Sun, Star, Mirror, Express all do it as well)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
You said it's hardly a huge deal to be visited by two coppers! I give up, what was the point then?

I said it wasn't a huge deal. That doesn't mean I believe it's a common occurrence or something which should occur regularly.

It's not a huge deal because all the police did was talk to him and leave. If the police had given him a fine or arrested him then it'd be a much bigger deal.
Reply 44
Original post by SHallowvale
I said it wasn't a huge deal. That doesn't mean I believe it's a common occurrence or something which should occur regularly.

It's not a huge deal because all the police did was talk to him and leave. If the police had given him a fine or arrested him then it'd be a much bigger deal.

It's funny you mention that paper, since it's one of the worst offenders when it comes to blatant non-stories designed to rile people up over absolutely nothing; they've been getting away with it for decades, and they rely heavily on faux-outrage to sell newspapers. (Obviously not just them, other tabloids like Metro, Sun, Star, Mirror, Express all do it as well)

You're both to the left of the political spectrum and for that reason think nothing of stories like this, that's understandable and not in question. It's just that everybody else, those not left-leaning, think it is a sorry state of affairs on multiple counts and a worrying trend. Of course, had this guy had a swipe against Brexit and the police would have never turned up. Had they done so and you guys would be going out of your way to denounce the police state.
(edited 4 years ago)
If someone on TSR made a comment and someone else on TSR made a complaint that a criminal offence has been committed, then yes, the person who made the comment could (potentially) get a police visit.

Also, consider this, a comedian said something on a comedy show which, in the context of the show, a reasonably minded and independent person, with all the facts, may conclude was meant to be funny. You could lump this in the same category as Nigel Farage saying he would 'pick up a rifle'. Likewise, a reasonably minded independent person would conclude that this comment was made in the context of his political speech.

The second is someone with military experience talking about overthrowing parliamentary democracy.

Sense prevailed and both were found to be requiring no further police action.

However, just think about the of the **** storm which would have come down on Cumbria Constabulary had they not visited McNally and it later transpires that he is a criminal and ends up doing something terrible, like happened to Jo Cox.

Don't get hung-up over the term 'investigate' which is a catch-all word. In this context it probably meant nothing more than checking the Twitter comment. Almost everything the police do is an 'investigation', a police officer glancing at a car's tax disc is technically an 'investigation' (in the days when discs were displayed on cars).
Original post by z-hog
Hence my question and in your own terms, had someone written that on TSR and could they be exposed to a police visit? It wouldn't have been even one of the top one hundred controversial posts of the month, nobody would have batted an eyelid. However, had someone complained about it to the police and... it would be fine for them to come round and leave, end of? Once 'they'd seen who you are', that was fine? Really?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
You're both to the left of the political spectrum and for that reason think nothing of stories like this, that's understandable and not in question. It's just that everybody else, those not left-leaning, think it is a sorry state of affairs on multiple counts and a worrying trend. Of course, had this guy had a swipe against Brexit and the police would have never turned up. Had they done so and you guys would be going out of your way to denounce the police state.

Wrong on all counts there I'm afraid.

It's a matter of being able to apply critical thinking to spot poor-quality journalism. The first clue is that you're looking at a story reported in a free tabloid newspaper which is well-known for trying to grab attention using stories with no substance behind them; this is hardly a new trick afterall. Not everybody gets triggered so easily by flippant use of emotionally-charged language.

There are other news outlets who never go anywhere near stories like this; they're the ones with higher standards of journalism who tend to cater towards a more inquisitive audience of people who can easily spot that kind of thing a mile off, and who aren't easily duped by empty attention-grabbing headlines. If there were any substance at all to stories like this, then they would be picked up by some of those news outlets.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog

Do you enjoy just rambling on about this stuff? Some police officers visited some guys house and (presumably) told him off. Big deal, get over it.

I've already expressed my agreement that this was a waste of time. No need to cry 'police state!' or get your knickers in a twist over what was totally inconsequential and now irrelevant.
Reply 48
Original post by TheHof
If someone on TSR made a comment and someone else on TSR made a complaint that a criminal offence has been committed, then yes, the person who made the comment could (potentially) get a police visit.

There you go, that may come as news to some people in here and should that be the case with a single poster and it's the topic vindicated. Should someone suggest that nothing short of a military coup would enforce Brexit once and for all in a discussion on the Politics forum could potentially spark a police investigation and a knock on the door.

Don't get hung-up over the term 'investigate' which is a catch-all word. In this context it probably meant nothing more than checking the Twitter comment. Almost everything the police do is an 'investigation', a police officer glancing at a car's tax disc is technically an 'investigation' (in the days when discs were displayed on cars).

I get hung up to the extent of wondering what the investigation may be like, how that 'checking the Twitter comment' business pans out. In fact, I suppose it must be a bit awkward for the investigators to justify their presence beyond the technical legality that delivered them on the doorstep. More like social-work, really.
Reply 49
Wrong on all counts there I'm afraid.

It's a matter of being able to apply critical thinking to spot poor-quality journalism. The first clue is that you're looking at a story reported in a free tabloid newspaper which is well-known for trying to grab attention using stories with no substance behind them; this is hardly a new trick afterall. Not everybody gets triggered so easily by flippant use of emotionally-charged language.

There are other news outlets who never go anywhere near stories like this; they're the ones with higher standards of journalism who tend to cater towards a more inquisitive audience of people who can easily spot that kind of thing a mile off, and who aren't easily duped by empty attention-grabbing headlines. If there were any substance at all to stories like this, then they would be picked up by some of those news outlets.

Just to be clear, are you disputing any of the facts on offer?
Original post by z-hog
Just to be clear, are you disputing any of the facts on offer?

I'm not disputing any of the facts in that news story. I'm rather trying to point out that those facts are inconsequential and that the story and headline is nothing more than a cheap way for a newspaper to grab peoples' attention. The story boils down to the police just doing their job by talking to him after they'd received a report about something he'd posted online and that's about it.
(edited 4 years ago)
In this case i can imagine the following happened:

1. McNally posts a comment about a coup.

2. Someone saw the comment and, for whatever reason, called the police.

3. Police are duty bound to record all complaints.

4. Sergeant allocated the report, assumed it was nonsense and a waste of time, but just in case it all goes horribly wrong, asks an officer to look into it (investigating begins)

5. Officer looks at the Twitter comment, does some basic checks (investigating), finds the poster has military experience and reports back. Officer thinks it's a waste of time.

6. Sergeant agrees with officer, still thinks it's nonsense. Has the option to take no further action, but to cover his/her back, asks officer to go along, just to check for certain that it was a joke and that McNally didn't have a house full of guns. (Unlike Nigel Fararge and his rifle comment or Brand and her acid comment, McNally is not a well known public personality, and you can't officially confirm that this comment is not to be taken seriously).

7. Officers turn up at McNally's home (assuming this is a waste of time but you never know) "hello mate, sorry about this but we've been told you posted something about a coup" (investigating).

8. McNally "it was a joke"

9. Officers "okay mate, fair enough, just be careful what you post, some people may take it seriously! Bye". (Investigation ends).

10. McNally then calls the papers because he has a great news story.

11. Police "sigh"

This is what I guess happened.

Original post by z-hog
There you go, that may come as news to some people in here and should that be the case with a single poster and it's the topic vindicated. Should someone suggest that nothing short of a military coup would enforce Brexit once and for all in a discussion on the Politics forum could potentially spark a police investigation and a knock on the door.

I get hung up to the extent of wondering what the investigation may be like, how that 'checking the Twitter comment' business pans out. In fact, I suppose it must be a bit awkward for the investigators to justify their presence beyond the technical legality that delivered them on the doorstep. More like social-work, really.
(edited 4 years ago)
Imagine if this had happened in North Korea or Iran or Syria or Russia etc. our media would be all over it using it as an example of the draconian, authoritative nature of those "regimes!", but when it happens here, it hardly gets a mention.

We are slowly starting to learn that we live in societies that are just as draconian and authoritative in their way as any of the worst. If you dare not conform, even slightly, you will wind up paying a price...

Don't conform and you will have the police pay you a visit.

Don't conform and you might get banned from public forums and platforms.

Don't conform and you might loose your job and your career.

Don't conform and you might wind up in prison.

Don't conform and you might wind up hanging from a tree in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere (David Kelly *cough* *cough*).

Don't conform and you might wind up dead, locked inside a bag in your bathtub, because you like Houdini...

Don't conform and dare expose them for their crimes and you will wind up inside an embassy for months surrounded by police before being dragged out by those same police, chucked inside a truck, before being presented in front of a goon, sorry, "judge" that insults you and throws in prison...

...etc. etc. etc.

Hell, you don't even need to not conform. You just need to wake up on the wrong side of bed one day and run into the wrong person, a person with a gun, in a position of authority and you will wind up dead, with six bullets inside your head, and your pictures plastered all over the news, edited to make you look darker, with no recourse for justice for your family because all the evidence substantiating your innocence and the guilt of your victimisers, miraculously went missing...(Jean Charles De Menezes *cough* * cough*).

etc. etc. etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry, I don't understand what price this bloke paid. He posted about a military coup and as a result had a friendly chat with an officer to confirm it was a joke - after which no action was taken. Hardly authoritarian and not much if a price for potentially inciting a coup on a public forum.
Original post by Pinkisk
Imagine if this had happened in North Korea or Iran or Syria or Russia etc. our media would be all over it using it as an example of the draconian, authoritative nature of those "regimes!", but when it happens here, it hardly gets a mention.

We are slowly starting to learn that we live in societies that are just as draconian and authoritative in their way as any of the worst. If you dare not conform, even slightly, you will wind up paying a price...

Don't conform and you will have the police pay you a visit.

Don't conform and you might get banned from public forums and platforms.

Don't conform and you might loose your job and your career.

Don't conform and you might wind up in prison.

Don't conform and you might wind up hanging from a tree in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere (David Kelly *cough* *cough*).

Don't conform and you might wind up dead, locked inside a bag in your bathtub, because you like Houdini...

...etc. etc. etc.

Hell, you don't even need to not conform. You just need to wake up on the wrong side of bed one day and run into the wrong person, a person with a gun, in a position of authority and you will wind up dead, with six bullets in your head, and your pictures plastered all over the news, edited to make you look darker, with no recourse for justice for your family because all the evidence proving your victimisers guilty, miraculously went missing...(Jean Charles De Menezes *cough* * cough*).

etc. etc. etc.
Reply 54
Original post by Pinkisk
Hell, you don't even need to not conform. You just need to wake up on the wrong side of bed one day and run into the wrong person, a person with a gun, in a position of authority and you will wind up dead, with six bullets inside your head, and your pictures plastered all over the news, edited to make you look darker, with no recourse for justice for your family because all the evidence substantiating your innocence and the guild of your victimisers, miraculously went missing...(Jean Charles De Menezes *cough* * cough*).

One of those that some people find so natural, the police thought he might be a terrorist but checked him out and he wasn't, nothing here to see. Officer in charge swiftly promoted, having had so much political capital invested in her by all the right institutions pushing her up to the top.
**** the Tories.
I bet that plenty of people are gonna get pissy with the statement that I made. Does that mean that the police should come a-knocking? :no:
In relation to Jean Charles De Menezes, that was a terrible terrible mistake and tragedy. But, you have to look at the circumstances at the time.

It was two weeks after a major, multiple, terrorist attack, involving suicide bombers on the London Transport Network, causing many many deaths and life changing injuries.

It was one day after further, further devices were found.

Everyone was under extreme pressure and fearing another major attack would occur at any time. The media, the press, politicians and the public were in a frenzy.

The security services had wrongly identified De Menezes as being part of a terrorist group and likely to be involved in further suicide bombings.

After receiving this information/intelligence from the security services, the police at the time had a split second decision to make when De Menezes entered the underground. Do they wait and if the intelligence is correct, hundreds could die, including the officers following (witness accounts say the officers were sweating and appeared to be afraid for their own lives)? Do they challenge, giving De Menezes the time to set off a hair-trigger, which would activate the bomb, killing hundreds? Or do they, what the tactics of the day dictated, shoot the head, thereby cutting off the nerves that could could be used to activate a trigger?

Unfortunately, the intelligence was wrong and De Menezes was tragically killed. But the officers at the time had no idea the intelligence was wrong, as far as they knew the intelligence was correct and they were trying to save hundreds of lives.

That was the reason the killing was held to be lawful, because at the time, without the benefit of hindsight, they genuinely believed that De Menezes was a suicide bomber about to strike.

Original post by z-hog
One of those that some people find so natural, the police thought he might be a terrorist but checked him out and he wasn't, nothing here to see. Officer in charge swiftly promoted, having had so much political capital invested in her by all the right institutions pushing her up to the top.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by TheHof
In relation to Jean Charles De Menezes, that was a terrible terrible mistake and tragedy. But, you have to look at the circumstances at the time.

The circumstances at the time are of no use to JCM anymore and to make it a 'nobody's fault' case and then go on to promote the officer in charge is taking the ****, that's the way we'd feel had we been at the end of it. Give the family a lot of public money and get on with it as if these things are perfectly natural, case closed. How so many people have been made to accept all these things as nothing worth of attention is a sad indictment of the state of public alienation that also sees it as the most natural of things for the police to go round knocking on doors to check on people's thoughts. Luckily, it is confined to a particular political quadrant.
That's very easy to say when your a keyboard warrior with no actual responsibility for anything. If there is blame, then blame the intelligence services for their poor intelligence.

The same rules apply to everyone, hence Kenneth Noye being found not guilty of murdering Detective Constable John Fordam - despite being a career criminal and later going on to be convicted of a different murder. Noye was able to convince the court that he had a genuine belief that he was acting in self defence - hence killing DC Fordam was deemed lawful. You never see any outrage about that!
Original post by z-hog
The circumstances at the time are of no use to JCM anymore and to make it a 'nobody's fault' case and then go on to promote the officer in charge is taking the ****, that's the way we'd feel had we been at the end of it. Give the family a lot of public money and get on with it as if these things are perfectly natural, case closed. How so many people have been made to accept all these things as nothing worth of attention is a sad indictment of the state of public alienation that also sees it as the most natural of things for the police to go round knocking on doors to check on people's thoughts. Luckily, it is confined to a particular political quadrant.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by TheHof
That's very easy to say when your a keyboard warrior with no actual responsibility for anything. If there is blame, then blame the intelligence services for their poor intelligence.

And that's very easy for you to say too because you're not JCM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending