The Student Room Group
You will be shown at briefing. There used to be images on the Army website but it's all changed so none of my links work.

Are you M or F?
Reply 2
Place the hands down on the ground in a comfortable position, approximately shoulder width apart (they probably won't care too much about how you place your hands because if you put them too close together or too far apart it just gets ruddy difficult).

They will look to make sure that you are
1) Clocking out your arms in the up position and
2) Have a 90 degree bend at the elbow in the down position.

Obviously your back has to be straight all the way down. A little known one is that if you are having problems balancing when pushing up you can move your feet to up to 30cms apart.
They're quite anal about hand positioning. Hands have to be pretty much exactly under your shoulders. As has been mentioned though, you will be given a full demonstration at the briefing, but you will not be required to perform them until the main board.

Also, not sure if it is just rumour, but apparently females are now required to knock out 33 press-ups in 2 minutes as opposed to 21.
All paperwork I have says 21

EDIT:

Found the LINK I was on about. They've kept all the old links and just made them www2.'s
Reply 5
Thanks all, that's helpful.

Also, are they using the bleep test or the timed 1.5 mile run at the mo? Different material seems to say different things.

And I wear glasses. What is the policy on eye-sight, contact lenses, etc.?

Cheers all,

E.

P.S. I'm male (somebody asked).
Bleep Test. Read the website link I gave you. It's all up to date. 1.5miles is pre-sandhurst IIRC. When's your AOSB, or have you not had briefing yet?
Reply 7
Yes, thanks for the link -- I hadn't realised you could actually find the missing pages on the army website.

I've not even done Fam Visits yet. Hopefully will set one or two up after I meet the liaison officer this week. Am beginning to get myself fit for AOSB tho.
You won't find many regiments who'll fam visit you before briefing.
Reply 9
Really?

I thought you do Fam Visits, get a corps/regimental sponsorship, go to briefing, then main board. Sponsorship is stage 2 according to the guide, and briefing is stage 3. And you need to do a Fam Visit to get sponsorship.

Fam Visit is also what I was advised to get arranged by a recruitment person at the service I spoke to.

This website says: "If you are considering the Army, the Army ULO will conduct an initial interview and decide whether to recommend you for a familiarisation visit to the Adjutant General's Corps. There, you will be given a two-day pre-Regular Commissions Board (RCB) briefing. If you are found to be satisfactory in this, they will sponsor you for the four-day RCB."

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:aeb2OHJifgQJ:www.prospects.ac.uk/downloads/occprofiles/profile_pdfs/D1_Armed_Forces_officer,_training_and_education.pdf+army+ulo&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk
On both the familiarisation visits I have been on most people are post-briefing, but there are a significant amount who are pre-briefing. A larger amount infact than those who have done the main board.
Reply 11
OK. Could you explain how the process works at the beginning?

I thought that I would go on a Fam Visit, and if the regiment liked me that they would sponsor me and arrange for me to go to briefing.
Depends. Everyone does it slightly differently. I attended the briefing before going on any familiarisation visits, and got sponsored inbetween briefing and main board. Others go on a familiarisation visit first.

If possible I would definitely go on a familiarisation visit first, especially if you don't know a lot about the selection process as they always go through with you exactly what to expect. Although, the information is openly available on the internet.
Reply 13
OK. Thanks for the tips.
You don't have to be sponsored by a regiment to go on your briefing, or your main board or even onto the CC itself - you can be sponsored by your careers advisor. Sponsorship by a regiment doesn't really mean anything at all.

I would definitely go on as many Fam visits as possible though - they are great fun and do give you a good insight into life as an officer (well the good bits anyway!). The RA one is especially good.
I'm booked on my RA one - can't wait!

Latest