The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education Diploma

Hey!

I'm extremely sorry if this has already been asked, but I was wondering if anybody has had any first hand experience with the Access to HE courses? Did you complete one and manage to get in to a University? What did you like and dislike etc?

I'm 20 years old, and left during the second year of college before completing my A-Level examinations. I'm looking to get back into studying, and would like to do an Access to HE for Social Science. Eventually, I would like to go to University to study Psychology. Would this be the best path for me to follow?

Also, does anybody know what the studying hours are? I've read that it is two days a week, but unsure on the hours?

Thank you in advance!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I’ve just completed and access to he course in science and hold an offer to study palaeontology at Bristol in September(grades are it next week but I was on track to meet the offer). As for dislikes it was more specific modules I had to do for chemistry than actual problems with the structure on the course or anything like that. I also had quite a large class a lot of whom acted as if they didn’t want to be there(not showing up or being disruptive when they did) which annoyed me a bit. Access diplomas are definitely a good path and more universities are open to them than people think. Also on my course there were study skills units designed specifically to get us ready for university study with things like how to reference properly and how to structure academic essays.

Contact hours with lecturers was 3 hours a week for each subject (bio, chem, physics) and 1 hour a week for study skills or overall it worked out at 10 hours a week which was 2 days in college (9-3 or 4 depending if we finished the content early) with 2 hours free in one of the mornings to catch up with anything. I also did at least 3 hours a week for each subject in my own time as well to make sure I was confident or at least comfortable with the material covered so it was easier when it came to tests and assignments. A lot of my “teaching time” was tutors just giving us key points and enough to get a pass mark but if we wanted higher merits or distinctions we needed to more research ourselves.
Hope I’ve covered everything for you :smile:
Thanks for the reply! It has really helped. I guess there's a few in every course that are disruptive! Good luck with your grades, and the information on studying hours was extremely helpful.

My end goal is to do a Psychology Degree preferably at the University of Leeds. Their requirements for an Access to HE Diploma were as follows:

We accept science-based Access qualifications with 60 credits, including 45 credits at level 3, 30 of which must be at distinction level plus GCSE Maths and Science at grade B and English Language at grade C.

The GCSEs are not a problem but the Access to HE Diploma I've been looking into is in Humanities and Social Sciences. Does anybody know whether this would be an acceptable science based access qualification, or would I need to do access to HE Science? Thank you again!
Original post by Chelsea_Hartley
Thanks for the reply! It has really helped. I guess there's a few in every course that are disruptive! Good luck with your grades, and the information on studying hours was extremely helpful.

My end goal is to do a Psychology Degree preferably at the University of Leeds. Their requirements for an Access to HE Diploma were as follows:

We accept science-based Access qualifications with 60 credits, including 45 credits at level 3, 30 of which must be at distinction level plus GCSE Maths and Science at grade B and English Language at grade C.

The GCSEs are not a problem but the Access to HE Diploma I've been looking into is in Humanities and Social Sciences. Does anybody know whether this would be an acceptable science based access qualification, or would I need to do access to HE Science? Thank you again!

Glad I could help :smile: and thank you I’ve got my fingers crossed.
30 credits at distinction seems to be the normal offer for access courses, it’s very doable if you can keep on top of the work load. Best thing to do to find out which course you need would be to email the university to check with them. I think the social sciences one would be suitable for a psychology degree but always best to check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending