The Student Room Group

Access course and jobs

How many hours is it fine to do while doing an access course?
Without it effecting your studies
At Glasgow Uni I did an Access course, two subjects ( History of Art, and Classics ), and we had two 2 hour lectures a week. But we were expected to also plan for an extra 5 hours or so per subject week on week, with all the reading, and studying the art ( Classic texts ie Virgil, Eurypides, Homer, plus Greek and Roman society, men and women etc), investigation of the artworks, patronage, artists, sculptors, society etc for HoA, and of course all the prep and planning for the essays in each subject - 2 academic essays on each subject, per semester, so 8 essays in total. You can also spend a good bit of time in the Uni library. Probably 300 hours in total (you could easily do more) from end Sept to end following April. Then your "sit-down" exams in each subject in May, overall results posted in early June.
Part-time is do-able if you're good with time management. But I'd say full-time is near impossible.
I've been doing about 20 hours a week over 3 days.

It's been a stressful AF year and I wouldn't recommend doing that many if you can avoid it. That said I did come out the other end with 42 distinctions and only a mild case of stress acne. All's well that ends well I suppose! :P
I did a full time Access course in Humanities and worked 30 hours a week.

I had one 4 hour class a week in the evening, the rest was self study. I managed to get 36/45 distinctions which I thought was pretty decent. It's gotten me into an AAA RG university, so it's possible but prepare yourself for the workload because it can be stressful.
(edited 4 years ago)
This year was the first time I've ever owned a wall planner and I'm never living without one again :biggrin:

BTW I did humanities too.
Original post by MidgetFever
I did a full time Access course in Humanities and worked 30 hours a week.

I had one 4 hour class a week in the evening, the rest was self study. I managed to get 36/45 distinctions which I thought was pretty decent. It's gotten me into an AAA RG university, so it's possible but prepare yourself for the workload because it can be stressful.
Original post by 10yearslate
This year was the first time I've ever owned a wall planner and I'm never living without one again :biggrin:

BTW I did humanities too.

Oh god yeah, I feel you on that one. Working assignment deadlines around my work schedule was a nightmare without one, literally wouldn't have survived otherwise :lol:

Oh awesome! How did you find your course, did you enjoy it?
Oh god yeah, I feel you on that one. Working assignment deadlines around my work schedule was a nightmare without one, literally wouldn't have survived otherwise :lol:

Oh awesome! How did you find your course, did you enjoy it?

Setting the stress and deadlines aside for a moment, it's been a blast. I've learned more about the world in the last year than in the entire decade before. Definitely feel like I'm in a good place to start uni now :biggrin:

How did you find yours? It seems like the structure of access courses and particularly humanities/social science pathways varies a lot from college to college.
Original post by 10yearslate
Setting the stress and deadlines aside for a moment, it's been a blast. I've learned more about the world in the last year than in the entire decade before. Definitely feel like I'm in a good place to start uni now :biggrin:

How did you find yours? It seems like the structure of access courses and particularly humanities/social science pathways varies a lot from college to college.

Aw I'm glad you liked it! I totally agree, it definitely does it's job of preparing people for university, I've just finished my first year of uni and I can definitely say those that got there through an Access course adapted a lot quicker to the workload than those that studied A-levels. I suppose you get used to the multitasking and short deadline dates at that point.

I really enjoyed mine too though, my tutors ended up being all quite eccentric too so it took away some of the deadline stress, haha.

Makes me curious though, did you get the choice to study either psychology or history? We got to choose ours but I'd heard from a few people that they didn't at their college.
They removed psychology at the last minute because it was under-subscribed. I think the social science group still studied it though. Mine was made up of history, sociology, and literary studies. If i remember correctly there was a second group which did geography as well but I'm not sure what subject that was replacing.

Glad you're enjoying uni!
Aw I'm glad you liked it! I totally agree, it definitely does it's job of preparing people for university, I've just finished my first year of uni and I can definitely say those that got there through an Access course adapted a lot quicker to the workload than those that studied A-levels. I suppose you get used to the multitasking and short deadline dates at that point.

I really enjoyed mine too though, my tutors ended up being all quite eccentric too so it took away some of the deadline stress, haha.

Makes me curious though, did you get the choice to study either psychology or history? We got to choose ours but I'd heard from a few people that they didn't at their college.
Hi there @adam271

As @MidgetFever says, it is doable to work pretty much full time and complete an Access to HE course, but it is a heavy workload. I did an Access to HE: Sport course and worked about 30 hours a week too and got 39/45 Distinctions. You need to be very disciplined and organised as the workload can seem relentless at time, with assignments but it CAN be done and you're definitely capable of doing it! (And its definitely worth it at the end when you get to university!)

Fi :horse:
Original post by adam271
How many hours is it fine to do while doing an access course?
Without it effecting your studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending