The Student Room Group

University life with a family?

Hi all, not too sure if this is the correct spot to place this, so if I have to move it somewhere else, I apologise first for having it here.

So I’m 28 years old and I want to go back into education to have a career change. I’m doing an Access to Higher Education course for Nursing in September with the idea to go to University afterwards to continue this journey.

Now with the Access course being two days a week in college plus study at home time, I am able to keep my current job and do both whilst also having family time as I am a father.

But my question comes down to University, as far as I am aware from seeing other people talk about it, University will be a lot more full time in terms of you spend time at University as well as a placement whether it be a hospital or a clinic, so from what I’ve been hearing there doesn’t seem to be any additional time to fully commit to a job as well as being a father when doing this…

Sorry this is becoming long but basically what I am asking is would it be more feasible or are you even allowed to leave a job and join say Universal Credit whilst studying at Uni? Or do you apply for a student loan to help with living whilst at Uni? Or because my job is a zero hour contract do I just commit to having my hours drop down to the bare minimum I can live with whether it be one or two days a week?

Again sorry this is king and may be all over the place, i appreciate any answers out there or any advice I can get from you.
Reply 1
You should receive further advice once you start your Access Course, if not, email/go to the offices of the career advisors at your Access Course institution.
Universal Credit not available to full time students.

People normally apply for student loans, including career changers.
Working bare minimum hours possible, but get a relevant job eg in a care home.
Reply 2
Hi
You would be entitled to a loan based on household income, but also an NHS bursary of 5k plus with children 2k bursary from the NHS (doesnt matter how many children, 2k is the total). You can apply for loan first then when you have proof you are entitled to support you apply to the NHS learning support fund.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending