The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jim-ie

right, we're going to be linked to all these names anyway because of our money, its nothing new and im calling bollox on the casillas offer as i cant see hughes agreeing to pay that much money, and believe it or not he is the final say on these as the arab owners dont want to intefere the way other owners have, theyre taking more of a glazer role without the debt.

1st of September 2008 (1 day extension of transfer window remember)

Mark hughes on the golf course approached by SSN " Mark how do you feel about Robinho on the way to city"

That was the first time he heard about it on the golf course through the media. No offence but Hughes has little say..on that day one minute they were about to sign berbatov then the next robihno was on a plane to England. Hughes openly admitted he had no idea they were after Robihno on that day..i know managers in this league (including my own clubs) who have a lot more say on the players coming in..i think the Arabs are going to ruin you....IF and it's a big IF you can get the kaka's to come etc then it will ruin you....atleast when chelsea did it they built around what they already had but the Arabs seem to want to go out and get the best player in every position..(although they won't be able to because whatever happens in the future..in my opinion you will ALWAYs be smaller than your friendly Manchester rivas because you don't have half the tradition/history they have-so im sure players would prefer to play for the more prestigious clubs apart from the greedy robihno type plyers)

I just hope they don't ruin you
Reply 381
Stu Laverty
Robinho is, what, 24? I think if he was going to be on the level of Ronaldo, Kaka and Messi, he would be there by now. And that's if he keeps playing the way he does. Form is temporary, and then when he dries up, he's bound to get impatient, as are City. That's the worst thing about having players with ego problems like Robinho, you don't feel as though you truly have their commitment, and that's how I think of him being at Man City.

He's 24, the way you talk about him you'd think he was Samaras. He has his entire career ahead of him.
Why do you need the 'Kaka's & Messi's' when you have Stevie Ireland!! :p:
Reply 383
.Andrew.
Robinho is in a league of his own, when it comes to finishing. That's for sure.

I just don't understand what he was going on about the other day, when he said something about the City squad?!

But with his attitude towards winning, and wanting to win, and not wanting to be second best, you can't fault him there.

He criticised that we're going soft when taking the lead, hes right and the squad know it, he's been a model player for us and really brought up the spirits of players in tough matches.
Jim-ie
He's 24, the way you talk about him you'd think he was Samaras. He has his entire career ahead of him.

But my point was that if he was going to be on that rare level of Messi, Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, etc, got to, then he'd have been there by now, or at least very close. Robinho is sensational, but he also only turns up for certain games, especially when City are winning and/or when at Eastlands. Whereas the absolute best players in the world can win a game single handedly when their team are playing poorly.
Jim-ie
He criticised that we're going soft when taking the lead, hes right and the squad know it, he's been a model player for us and really brought up the spirits of players in tough matches.

Should promote him to captain.

I don't know who the captain is atm for you guys.
Reply 386
Tobydch
1st of September 2008 (1 day extension of transfer window remember)

Mark hughes on the golf course approached by SSN " Mark how do you feel about Robinho on the way to city"

That was the first time he heard about it on the golf course through the media. No offence but Hughes has little say..on that day one minute they were about to sign berbatov then the next robihno was on a plane to England. Hughes openly admitted he had no idea they were after Robihno on that day..i know managers in this league (including my own clubs) who have a lot more say on the players coming in..i think the Arabs are going to ruin you....IF and it's a big IF you can get the kaka's to come etc then it will ruin you....atleast when chelsea did it they built around what they already had but the Arabs seem to want to go out and get the best player in every position..(although they won't be able to because whatever happens in the future..in my opinion you will ALWAYs be smaller than your friendly Manchester rivas because you don't have half the tradition/history they have-so im sure players would prefer to play for the more prestigious clubs apart from the greedy robihno type plyers)

I just hope they don't ruin you

Yeah, Hughes also didnt know a lot about the takeover until it happened and neither did Garry Cook the fella running the show, that was partly Thaksins fault, I doubt Hughes was complaining when he got back to his office and found the details for Robinho joining his squad! Its been made clear Hughes is incharge of who comes and who goes under the new owners, they do know a bit about football, but no more than you or I would, they're football fanatics but they wouldnt know how things are done unlike Hughes, they're being wise and letting him run that.
Reply 387
Stu Laverty
But my point was that if he was going to be on that rare level of Messi, Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, etc, got to, then he'd have been there by now, or at least very close. Robinho is sensational, but he also only turns up for certain games, especially when City are winning and/or when at Eastlands. Whereas the absolute best players in the world can win a game single handedly when their team are playing poorly.

Uniteds Ronaldo only turns up for some matches, but hes consistent in getting goals in the league which got him a personal honour, Robinho is behind Anelka in goals this season and lets be honest, the Premier league isnt easy to adopt too, Fat Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi, Ronaldinho havent played in England yet. He's not on their level, not yet, but he can be, wether it takes a season or two or even three, dont take away from the lad what he can achieve because hes 24!
Reply 388
.Andrew.
Should promote him to captain.

I don't know who the captain is atm for you guys.

Dunne is captain. Hughes made Robinho captain when he was suspended, done brilliantly in the role but he cant speak a lot of English yet :wink: he's been watching Corrie to learn it, god help us. He'll be calling the ref our kid in no time.
I find it really hard to believe that Hughes will have the say on transfers and what have you. I think its reminiscent of Ranieri when Abramovic took over. It doesn't matter what you do, he's just there until they become big enough to get anyone.
Jim-ie
Uniteds Ronaldo only turns up for some matches, but hes consistent in getting goals in the league which got him a personal honour, Robinho is behind Anelka in goals this season and lets be honest, the Premier league isnt easy to adopt too, Fat Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi, Ronaldinho havent played in England yet. He's not on their level, not yet, but he can be, wether it takes a season or two or even three, dont take away from the lad what he can achieve because hes 24!

But Ronaldo is 23 and Messi is 21, so they're just going to get better and better using your logic. Robinho, I feel, doesn't have what it takes to get near them. He looks great because he's a world class player in a decent team. At Real Madrid, he never stood out as much as he does at City because he had other world class players around him.
Reply 391
Ronaldo has had 6 years with United so he's grown into the premier league, and would Messi make an instant impact in the league? Who knows, cant compare that, he's godlike in Spain but until he plays for a team here you nor I can tell. I feel Robinho can and will become as good as them and hopefully he'll do it with City.

Also why do you find it hard to believe that Hughes will have the say in the transfer market? If we sign Diarra, RSC, Bridge etc then he clearly has had a say, can't instantly compare our arab owners to other owners who intefere constantly when we've had half a day with money, the owners are more concerned about developing the base of the club than picking and chosing players, hence why they didnt bring that pleb who brokered the deal (the one who was shouting about ronaldo and torres and fabregas for a trillion and a half quid) into the board room and has nothing to do with the club. They've no interest in becoming part time managers, they'd rather focus their efforts on getting the waste lands around East Manchester for buttons from the council :wink:
Why on earth would you need RSC?

Ok, he is a good player, and that's it. That would be Sparky's personal choice, from his old club, i would imagine?!

Forgive me for thinking this, but RSC isn't really that 'amazing' or special.. :frown:
Reply 393
.Andrew.
No way José, Barca would never sell Messi.

Would you want Kaka, after the performance he put in against Pompey? Certainly wasn't nothing amazing. If you do get him, i hope he is a bit more 'on this planet' instead of day dreaming.

(ok, one performance is not much to go by, but for his price, you'd want something special)

Well.
Kaka's champions league performance against Man Utd in the CL Semi final was out of this world.
Reply 394
Stu Laverty
But Ronaldo is 23 and Messi is 21, so they're just going to get better and better using your logic. Robinho, I feel, doesn't have what it takes to get near them. He looks great because he's a world class player in a decent team. At Real Madrid, he never stood out as much as he does at City because he had other world class players around him.

"your not robinhoooo"
TI-84
Well.
Kaka's champions league performance against Man Utd in the CL Semi final was out of this world.

Indeed, and he is a quality player, no doubt.

But he was far from 'out of this world' against Pompey.
Jim-ie
Yeah, Hughes also didnt know a lot about the takeover until it happened and neither did Garry Cook the fella running the show, that was partly Thaksins fault, I doubt Hughes was complaining when he got back to his office and found the details for Robinho joining his squad! Its been made clear Hughes is incharge of who comes and who goes under the new owners, they do know a bit about football, but no more than you or I would, they're football fanatics but they wouldnt know how things are done unlike Hughes, they're being wise and letting him run that.

Considering you said " i cant see hughes agreeing to pay that much money, and believe it or not he is the final say on these as the arab owners dont want to intefere the way other owners have, theyre taking more of a glazer role without the debt." your slightly contradicting yourself there!
.Andrew.
Why on earth would you need RSC?

Ok, he is a good player, and that's it. That would be Sparky's personal choice, from his old club, i would imagine?!

Forgive me for thinking this, but RSC isn't really that 'amazing' or special.. :frown:

Better than your prized possesion..on his day he is world class is roque
Reply 398
.Andrew.
Indeed, and he is a quality player, no doubt.

But he was far from 'out of this world' against Pompey.

Agreed.
He needs to leave Milan.
They did a good job with nurturing his talent, but now everyone there is really old etc and Kaka is just one of the few pacey players (with Pato & Ronaldinho) in that team.
Tobydch
Better than your prized possesion..on his day he is world class is roque

What day is that then?

Latest