The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jeppaloth

Sums it up really.

LOL i love this pic :biggrin: the ref can smile after we a have scored looooooool, well who said making friends meant conspiracy ?? :biggrin: anyway the ref didn't score the goal, Michael Owen did.
Not to play devil's advocate or anything, but the standard added time for a goal celebration is 1 minute, and 30 seconds for a substitution. Man Utd scored on 95:30 or thereabouts as far as I'm aware, which is 1:30 more than the added time displayed before a goal and substitution.

Also, the board only displays rounded minutes added on, this time 4, when in fact it could have been 4:30 or 4:50 by the referees watch.

If, and this is an if that might be hard to swallow, you add all those up you end up with about as much time added on as was given, and there wasn't any conspiracy.
Reply 3982
good mermington
Not to play devil's advocate or anything, but the standard added time for a goal celebration is 1 minute, and 30 seconds for a substitution. Man Utd scored on 95:30 or thereabouts as far as I'm aware, which is 1:30 more than the added time displayed before a goal and substitution.

Also, the board only displays rounded minutes added on, this time 4, when in fact it could have been 4:30 or 4:50 by the referees watch.

If, and this is an if that might be hard to swallow, you add all those up you end up with about as much time added on as was given, and there wasn't any conspiracy.

My bum. 2 subs, no injuries whatsoever, no particularly long celebrations (not as if any players ran the length of the field this time!!!), I would like to know where the original 4 minutes came from in the first place. When 4 minutes is declared, it means 4 minutes, not 6 and a half minutes, the time the match ended. Just enough time for United to score.

Conspriacy? Somethings not right, thats for sure.
Jim-ie
When 4 minutes is declared, it means 4 minutes, not 6 and a half minutes, the time the match ended.

TBF that's not true, as many many many people have pointed out. 4 minutes is just the minimum at the time that its displayed, which is usually in the 88th or 89th minute. Lots of games run over the displayed time when there's a goal or injury in added time, I've seen it many times in lots of games none of which involve Utd.
Reply 3984
We all saw Baconface laughing with the 4th official after the game. That's as conclusive as you get without full-blown Calciopoli type evidence. I'm sure they'll enjoy finishing 7th in 2011/12 with David Moyes in charge anyway.
tbqh the 4th official doesn't do the timekeeping afaik, he just holds up the board, so there's nowt Fergie talking to him would have accomplished.
Reply 3986
good mermington
TBF that's not true, as many many many people have pointed out. 4 minutes is just the minimum at the time that its displayed, which is usually in the 88th or 89th minute. Lots of games run over the displayed time when there's a goal or injury in added time, I've seen it many times in lots of games none of which involve Utd.

Ah right I get it, so next time I see a game go on for 2-3 minutes more than it officially should I should keep shut, right? No. 4 minutes means 4 minutes, a few second makes little difference, 2 minutes makes a lot; especially when that particular team scores in yet another last second effort gifted by the referee.

All week we've had to put up with every fan in the country saying City and Adebayor are bringing the game into disrepute; unfortunately, its the corrupt shower of ***** at the FA bringing the game into disrepute, time and time again.
Jim-ie
No. 4 minutes means 4 minutes,

I know you're annoyed, I would be too, but honestly it doesn't. 4 minutes is just the minimum, it can run over indefinitely, and I'm sure, having watched a lot of football, you've seen that happen before too.
Reply 3988
good mermington
I know you're annoyed, I would be too, but honestly it doesn't. 4 minutes is just the minimum, it can run over indefinitely, and I'm sure, having watched a lot of football, you've seen that happen before too.

Well as Hughes himself says; were did those 90 extra seconds come from?

4 minutes means for minutes mate, the ref has final say and I acknowledge that, infact, thats the entire point of my ranting. The ref waited until United scored to call the whistle, 2 minutes too late. Did he space out for those 2 minutes and lose track of time?

Its a disgrace, an absolute disgrace and a complete farce.

Ths isnt the first time football fans have sniffed something going on at Old Trafford and it wont be the last time. If there are any conspiracies going on, this is one of them.
Jim-ie
Well as Hughes himself says; were did those 90 extra seconds come from?

Well they scored on 95:28, which is 88 seconds over the time displayed. In that time there was a goal + celebration (for which 1 minute is added on) and a substitution (which is 30 seconds added on).

So there's your 90 seconds. I can account for it perfectly within the rules.

Now I'm not disputing that the referee might have been waiting to see the action play out, it's certainly possible, probably likely, but still you can make a definite case for there being no conspiracy.
technik
Rubbish...it doesn't happen anywhere else.

The refs were cheats...plain and simple.

Blatant and corrupt.

I never said it happens anywhere else, I said it should. The ref decides the injury time, not the fourth official. Its a minimum of 30secs for each sub, so that brings it 1 1/2mins and then he can, basically, add whatever he likes after that, taking stoppages into account.

Refs should allow for stoppages after injury time is indicated, like happened today but most don't, call it corrupt if you like, I think it's only fair.
Reply 3991
good mermington
Well they scored on 95:28, which is 88 seconds over the time displayed. In that time there was a goal + celebration (for which 1 minute is added on) and a substitution (which is 30 seconds added on).

So there's your 90 seconds. I can account for it perfectly within the rules.

Now I'm not disputing that the referee might have been waiting to see the action play out, it's certainly possible, probably likely, but still you can make a definite case for there being no conspiracy.

yes, its what us of a non red persuasion call "fergie time". i've seen plenty of games were celebrations have been ignored for timesake, hardly a surprise its not at the swamp! according to hughes, 45 seconds for goal and celebration. i cant be arsed looking it up myself, i dont feel up for it.
Jim-ie
It clearly is a conspiracy. David Gill in the FA that bans our "superstar" (words: Ferguson) before the match, minutes added on and just so happen to stop as soon as United score. Time and time again.

He had no influence on Adebayor stamping on someone's face :jester:

Jim-ie
Its a disgrace but it wont stop the blue revolution. 3 goals at the swamp gave your lot a scare today, next time it'll be 5.
And we'll score 6 :awesome: We handed you goals on a plate and you still lost.

Jim-ie
I'm proud of City today, our players gave their all, we were beaten by cheating, says enough to me. Bring on the derby at Eastlands.

You were beaten by your expensive defenders being average.

good mermington
tbqh the 4th official doesn't do the timekeeping afaik, he just holds up the board, so there's nowt Fergie talking to him would have accomplished.

Less of the sensible posts, man, you're in the City thread remember :awesome:
Jim-ie
yes, its what us of a non red persuasion call "fergie time". i've seen plenty of games were celebrations have been ignored for timesake, hardly a surprise its not at the swamp! according to hughes, 45 seconds for goal and celebration. i cant be arsed looking it up myself, i dont feel up for it.

I find that when the action is still going, referees tend to add on the extras for goals and substitutions which they wouldn't necessarily in a more dull finish.

It's perfectly to the letter of the law of course, it's just not consistently applied which is what makes it seem dodgy. It's another example of inconsistent officiating, but I really don't think it's anything more than that.
Reply 3994
Ronaldo VII
He had no influence on Adebayor stamping on someone's face :jester:

And we'll score 6 :awesome: We handed you goals on a plate and you still lost.

A typical reply I'd expect from you.

Our goals were quality, lets be honest, that first bellamy goal was the best of the match.

We were beaten by brown envelopes, but lets not let your delusions blind you from the obvious. Other way around and you'd be fuming at your keyboard.

Less of the sensible posts, man, you're in the City thread remember :awesome:

You'll fit right in :awesome:
Jim-ie
A typical reply I'd expect from you.

Our goals were quality, lets be honest, that first bellamy goal was the best of the match.

We were beaten by brown envelopes, but lets not let your delusions blind you from the obvious. Other way around and you'd be fuming at your keyboard.

You'll fit right in :awesome:

Bellamy's goal was good, but it came from a sloppy header, Park kindly stepping out of the way for Bellamy to go past and O'Shea giving him plenty of room. The other two were just gifts. I don't recall another shot on target from you (the SWP one was going wide).
Ronaldo VII

So you don't have the most expensive defender in the world and he wasn't at fault for the third goal? I know it didn't cost you the game but I thought it was a bit hypocritical.
good mermington

And I don't even know where those 4 came from. Break it down:

4x Subs = 2:00
Bellamy celebration = 0:56
No injuries at all = 0:00

I make that at 2:56 ~ 3 minutes of added time including the celebration.

So that was +2 and a half minutes for no reason whichever way you look at it.
James_mcfc
And I don't even know where those 4 came from. Break it down:

4x Subs = 2:00
Bellamy celebration = 0:56
No injuries at all = 0:00

I make that at 2:56 ~ 3 minutes of added time including the celebration.

So that was +2 and a half minutes for no reason whichever way you look at it.

well you've conveniently forgotten all of the goals which all had time added on for the celebrations. It's no mystery where the time came from.
good mermington
well you've conveniently forgotten all of the goals which all had time added on for the celebrations. It's no mystery where the time came from.

Ditto. There were three goals in the second half prior to the fourth official putting the board up.

The ref also allows for time wasting at set pieces.

Latest