The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tobydch
Have i missed something? :s-smilie:

Yeah, his 3 years at CSKA.

I still think he has quality anyway, well, the ability to get his form back in the PL, given the chance.
Erik.
City could outbid Madrid, but if it comes down to the player's personal choice of course I can see why he would choose to play for them.

see who they're also after in the same article? some young winger called Ashley Young apparently. So either the whole article is paper-talk ******** or they're both true, what's it to be? :biggrin:

anyway I personally think Diarra would be a fantastic addition to the side but if not, there are plenty of other top-class midifelders who play the 'Claude Makelele' role out there to consider...

Yes be realistic. Diarra has said he will move on from portsmouth (10 million) and Ashley young has just signed a new contract. So Diarra is realistic and Ashley young is in their dreams..it's fantastic to hear them talking about him being the new improved david beckham! Fantastic, but they also got to realise that Ashely young will not move their for the next 3 to 4 years...
Erik.
the guy's played about 7 or 8 games..

And done absolutely nothing!!! For 19 million he should be one of your star players instead he's keeping the bench nice and warm..waste of money
.Andrew.
Yeah, his 3 years at CSKA.

I still think he has quality anyway, well, the ability to get his form back in the PL, given the chance.

Ye possibly but ye another player lured by that magic word *Money*...
Reply 584
Tobydch

are you saying Jo was only lured to City by money? :s-smilie:

a) City are clearly a step up from CSKA Moscow

b) he was subjected to racial abuse over there and hated it

c) the vast majority of players would rather play in the EPL than the Russian league anyway, and the vast majority of people , nevermind footballers, would rather reside and earn a living in England than Russia
If we sell Diarra for anything less then £13m, i will personally go to Fratton Park, and bang Sacha's face into a table.

He is worth every penny of the £13m, possibly even £15m. ****ing amazing player, and would change the whole way your team plays.
Reply 586
Tobydch
So surely Young could be lured in the same way?

If Real Madrid want Young, and he wants them, then him they shall have tbh.
Reply 587
.Andrew.
If we sell Diarra for anything less then £13m, i will personally go to Fratton Park, and bang Sacha's face into a table.

He is worth every penny of the £13m, possibly even £15m. ****ing amazing player, and would change the whole way your team plays.
We bought him for about 1.5m, and sold him for like 5-6m to your lot... Let's not be silly with price-tags.
Erik.

c) the vast majority of players would rather play in the EPL than the Russian league anyway, and the vast majority of people , nevermind footballers, would rather reside and earn a living in England than Russia

I wouldn't say he was lured by money, more the prospect of playing in the PL, which even he admitted was a dream come true & one of the best leagues in the world.

Like you said, he wanted out at CSKA anyway.
RobbieC
We bought him for about 1.5m, and sold him for like 5-6m to your lot... Let's not be silly with price-tags.

Im not being silly, he is quality, and worthy of every penny of his value.

And if Spurs value Lennon at £24m (i think), then £13m for Diarra is a bargain!

Anyway, we would need the funds to go out and replace him, and also the fact that big clubs will pay top dollar for players like Diarra.

Think im silly all you like, but i stand by what i say :yep:
Reply 590
Tobydch
And done absolutely nothing!!! For 19 million he should be one of your star players instead he's keeping the bench nice and warm..waste of money

I'm not denying it's disappointing but not everyone makes an instant impact, players often take a while to adjust to the game in their new country, doesn't mean he won't be come good in the end - you don't play as consistently phenomenally as he did at CSKA and then magically turn **** overnight.
Reply 591
.Andrew.

well a figure of £18m has been banded about recently where he's been linked with City..
Tobydch

There are a few clubs that have players like that, im sure you know which one(s) they are.. :yep:

But with all of them, once they get their form, they will be brilliant. (or just fail, one of the two.. :p: )
Reply 593
.Andrew.
Im not being silly, he is quality, and worthy of every penny of his value.

And if Spurs value Lennon at £24m (i think), then £13m for Diarra is a bargain!

Anyway, we would need the funds to go out and replace him, and also the fact that big clubs will pay top dollar for players like Diarra.

Think im silly all you like, but i stand by what i say :yep:
Arsenal could be called a top club, paying 1.5m to another top club, Chelsea, to get him.

So your argument is a little flawed tbh. His value has not risen that much in a year.
Erik.
well a figure of £18m has been banded about recently where he's been linked with City..

I predict a bidding war in Jan..

Between about 5-6 clubs.

Man Utd want him, Citeh want him, Lyon want him.. and a few others..

Will be interesting, £18m is a pretty good price.

Massive profit :biggrin:
Erik.

He was set to join Valencia untill his eyes bulged at Citys package
.Andrew.
There are a few clubs that have players like that, im sure you know which one(s) they are.. :yep:

But with all of them, once they get their form, they will be brilliant. (or just fail, one of the two.. :p: )

Haha well the thing is the standard is massively difference...scoring loads in the russia load does not guarantee goals in the priemership. I hope for city he turns good but he's had nothing short of an absolute nightmate start

Regarding Diarra you should always be grateful. In my opinion he was the main factor behind your Fa Cup success
RobbieC
Arsenal could be called a top club, paying 1.5m to another top club, Chelsea, to get him.

So your argument is a little flawed tbh. His value has not risen that much in a year.

Well, whatever he sells for, Pompey are going to make a profit. Anything above £10m i think would be bang on.

Flawed maybe, but silly money will most likely be spent to acquire him.
Reply 598
I think Pompy are struggling financially at the moment too, which unfortunately weakens their bargaining position. But a profit of sorts could be made, I'm sure.

I was quite hope Arsene had left a buy-back clause when we sold, tbf. We could use him as a DM atm.

Or Bouba Diop, my dream player!
Tobydch
Haha well the thing is the standard is massively difference...scoring loads in the russia load does not guarantee goals in the priemership. I hope for city he turns good but he's had nothing short of an absolute nightmate start

Regarding Diarra you should always be grateful. In my opinion he was the main factor behind your Fa Cup success

Diarra is already a legend at Portsmouth, but if he wants to go to a bigger club, then good luck to the fella. Will be sad to see him go, but when one of the bigger clubs come knocking, then really, he can't refuse.

I wonder if the Citeh owners would be bothered about a loss on Jo. i mean if he doesn't turn good.. Might not bother them, but still.. Should loan him out to Everton, they need a striker.. And he would have a massive chance to improve.

Latest