The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Tobydch
You make your own luck

Easy to say when your team is possibly the flukiest team in the Premiership, second goal against Everton epitomises your season. How can you make your own luck with awful refereeing decisions like Valencia's upwards "fall" that earned them the penalty that won them the game, or Hull's deflected freekick. United saving it off the line last minute, the list goes on and on and on.
Jim-ie
:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: me your a bit diluded mate, you finished 16th that year. That ws my point, 7 or something points above relegation. MON didnt have a good first season and we arent going to have a very good one either, we will no doubt pick up pace in the second half of the season but for now its a big transitional period, too much has happened, too quickly.

Mate check up on your stats before you post. We had an unbeaten start to the season which lasted around 10-12 games..obviously tailed off at the end of the season. But that was because we had no useful players whilst you have a squad worth god knows how much
Jim-ie
You dont need to take it as an excuse, its still how it is. What are you talking about no key long term injuries? Petrov was our best player last season by far and he's out til the end of the season or so, Johnson, injured, Benjani and Vassell out for a good bit until now and both are injured again apparently, Bojinov, unproven yes but could have really done with a real striker last season and this season.

Playing in Europe is an excuse, we've a very small squad, if even, and our players under Sven had big fitness issues, you dont get fit enough to play twice a week in 2 months. Ofcourse, its where we want to be, no doubt and I'm not knocking being in the UEFA cup as we are doing very well in it, first in our group.

All the talk about transfers doesn't come from Hughes, your right. Why? He keeps his gob shut, we've said next to nothing about our transfers, its all speculation. He's not a man that enjoys talking to the press and doesn't do it very often.

Wether he is right for the job or not will depend on who he buys in January. He inherited a team that wasn't suited to him, and took the job before the take-over too. He needs more than one transfer window to make the team his own. Its still Svens team other than a few signings, who played well sometimes under Sven and his tactics.

Yep well playing your first XI every match you would finish first! But that doesn't help and hasn't helped you come the premier league. The uefa cup group stage is a doddle and even the villa reserves managed to qualify in what was one of, if not, the hardest group.

Baring Petrov and maybe benjani you've had few KEY injuries. You've been quite lucky. Vassell is well vassell hence we sold him you, Johnson is not up to premier league football and way of life and boijnov as you said isn't a loss because he hasn't shown anything to suggest he would be worthwhile

I know Hughes has not said anything about transfers which is the point i made in my previous post- he hates the limelight something he will get a lot off at City and will have to cope with if he remains at the helm. He is a manager that thrives on living in the low light and springing suprises but he can't do that at City.

I take your point about the Sven players and his tactics but at the end of the day good players are good players and that's what Sven brought in. What's happened to Elano? The best midfielder in the prem in the first half of last season..micah...dunne...johnson...to many players that he isnt getting the best of.
Jeppaloth
Easy to say when your team is possibly the flukiest team in the Premiership, second goal against Everton epitomises your season. How can you make your own luck with awful refereeing decisions like Valencia's upwards "fall" that earned them the penalty that won them the game, or Hull's deflected freekick. United saving it off the line last minute, the list goes on and on and on.

Oh great post! :rolleyes:

The tired old saying in football : the table does not lie!

Think it's rather ignorant to say we have been the luckiest team in the premier league. We have earnt the 3 points we have won in every game. There has not been one game where we have cheated the opposition other than the one you have suggested-Everton- even then we took the chances when they came and our second goal against everton was just fantastic anticipation by the premier leagues best player of the season so far-Ashley young.
You may not realise it but Aston Villa play counter attacking football and so when we play we don't mind the opposition pressing and having possesion. Our whole game is based upon a team over commiting and then us quickly swithcing from defence to attack. We don't play a possesion game and we obviously don't need too. I stand by my comment and it's true- you do make your own luck. It may feel as though things are going against you but that's because your not captilising on your chances and putting the games to bed.
Reply 784
Tobydch
Oh great post! :rolleyes:

The tired old saying in football : the table does not lie!

Think it's rather ignorant to say we have been the luckiest team in the premier league. We have earnt the 3 points we have won in every game. There has not been one game where we have cheated the opposition other than the one you have suggested-Everton- even then we took the chances when they came and our second goal against everton was just fantastic anticipation by the premier leagues best player of the season so far-Ashley young.
You may not realise it but Aston Villa play counter attacking football and so when we play we don't mind the opposition pressing and having possesion. Our whole game is based upon a team over commiting and then us quickly swithcing from defence to attack. We don't play a possesion game and we obviously don't need too. I stand by my comment and it's true- you do make your own luck. It may feel as though things are going against you but that's because your not captilising on your chances and putting the games to bed.

That isn't luck, that is being clinical, different thing. Also a table can quite easily lie considering we are less than 10 points off a European spot. You seem to have quite an obsession with this thread, I sense jealousy. Because personally I would hate to watch a long ball team who just punt it up to Young/Abonglahor who score. :yep:
Reply 785
Tobydch
Mate check up on your stats before you post. We had an unbeaten start to the season which lasted around 10-12 games..obviously tailed off at the end of the season. But that was because we had no useful players whilst you have a squad worth god knows how much

And last season we werent beat at home until December or January. Whats your point? "The league table doesn't lie", afterall.
Reply 786
Tobydch
Yep well playing your first XI every match you would finish first! But that doesn't help and hasn't helped you come the premier league. The uefa cup group stage is a doddle and even the villa reserves managed to qualify in what was one of, if not, the hardest group.

Baring Petrov and maybe benjani you've had few KEY injuries. You've been quite lucky. Vassell is well vassell hence we sold him you, Johnson is not up to premier league football and way of life and boijnov as you said isn't a loss because he hasn't shown anything to suggest he would be worthwhile

I know Hughes has not said anything about transfers which is the point i made in my previous post- he hates the limelight something he will get a lot off at City and will have to cope with if he remains at the helm. He is a manager that thrives on living in the low light and springing suprises but he can't do that at City.

I take your point about the Sven players and his tactics but at the end of the day good players are good players and that's what Sven brought in. What's happened to Elano? The best midfielder in the prem in the first half of last season..micah...dunne...johnson...to many players that he isnt getting the best of.

We didn't play our first XI every UEFA match. Only against Schalke, full strength squad. TBF we only have a starting XI and a few reserve players, the rest of the reserves are youth. Big problem. Off the top of my head those who sit on the bench regularly: Tal ben haim, Gelson Fernandes, Schmeichel, Elano (on and off..), Evans, Sturridge, Ball, Caicedo. No cover for right back, little cover for left back, a :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: DM, a keeper, Elano who you should know well enough, two youth strikers and a 20 year old striker from Ecudor.

I'd certainly call Johnson a key injury, unless you've been watching a different Johnson, he's been very important to holding the midfield toghether when playing at his best. Definitely a key injury.

Elano hasnt been putting in the performances asked of him so he has been given less time in favour of letting Ireland go wild. Hughes has given Elano chance after chance and he's just failed to impress him. Its a bit sad because Elano is capable of so much but seems to be a bit lazy these days. Dunne, who knows, confidence maybe, same with Richards, and Johnson is as I said, injured, returning to fitness slowly and he has a bigger head on him than a hot air balloon believing the hype, same with Richards. Both need to be brought down to earth and not get carried away with the hype.
Jeppaloth
That isn't luck, that is being clinical, different thing. Also a table can quite easily lie considering we are less than 10 points off a European spot. You seem to have quite an obsession with this thread, I sense jealousy. Because personally I would hate to watch a long ball team who just punt it up to Young/Abonglahor who score. :yep:

No that is finishing of a game so it doesnt come down to luck. The table doesn't lie. 10 points is a lot of points in the premier league at the moment- you know how difficult points are to comeby for any team. Equally if you are "less" than 10 points of europe then we are just 5 points of the top spot. It's not like that im afraid.

Jim-E have been having different views on stuff and it has been intresting hearing what he things. I have no obession with this thread whatsoever. Why would i? Man City are Just villa a couple of years behind? After all your 18th and we are where? 3rd was it?
What a shocking comment about young and gabby. Says a lot about you. We do not play the long ball because we have a 5 man midfield which can switch to a 433 in attack. Silly get your facts right first!

(Couldn't get the quote to work in last message hence the deletion)
Reply 788
Been on sky sports news that Bellamy is in advanced talks with Spurs

can't say I'm devastated.
Reply 789
Tobydch
No that is finishing of a game so it doesnt come down to luck. The table doesn't lie. 10 points is a lot of points in the premier league at the moment- you know how difficult points are to comeby for any team. Equally if you are "less" than 10 points of europe then we are just 5 points of the top spot. It's not like that im afraid.

Jim-E have been having different views on stuff and it has been intresting hearing what he things. I have no obession with this thread whatsoever. Why would i? Man City are Just villa a couple of years behind? After all your 18th and we are where? 3rd was it?
What a shocking comment about young and gabby. Says a lot about you. We do not play the long ball because we have a 5 man midfield which can switch to a 433 in attack. Silly get your facts right first!

(Couldn't get the quote to work in last message hence the deletion)

But the difference is you couldn't get more lucky where as we would struggle to be more unlucky. At the end of the day, we play good football, you get dominated and get maybe 4 chances a game, score a few of them. Considering I go to every home match and some away matches I would rather watch something I enjoy where as arm chair fans like your self may be happy to watch the highlights of a game and then go around bragging about some inept pundit's comments.
Jeppaloth
But the difference is you couldn't get more lucky where as we would struggle to be more unlucky. At the end of the day, we play good football, you get dominated and get maybe 4 chances a game, score a few of them. Considering I go to every home match and some away matches I would rather watch something I enjoy where as arm chair fans like your self may be happy to watch the highlights of a game and then go around bragging about some inept pundit's comments.

Oh my god ! This has got to be one of the worst posts ever! He is judging me having never met me calling me an arm chair fan! Seriously mate watch what you say because that is a ludricrious comment. If you watched us against Arsenal away, Bolton at home then you would realise we do domintate. Some games ( youve yet to realise as a team) you just have to ride the storm and take your chances like us against west ham and everton. Im sorry to say but i attend Villa matches very very regularly and to be called an arm chair supporter is quite hurtful.
Jeppaloth
But the difference is you couldn't get more lucky where as we would struggle to be more unlucky. At the end of the day, we play good football, .

When your team is doing awfully every piece of bad luck is accentuated, yet when you're doing well the things that go against you don't matter as much.

If you win a game 4-2 but have 2 clear penalties turned down no one remembers. If you lose the game 2-0 then you lament your bad luck and cry about it all season long.
It's all about taking your chances whilst defending solidly and it's a fine balance

Still don't appreciate being called an arm chair supporter by the **** above
Tobydch
It's all about taking your chances whilst defending solidly and it's a fine balance

Still don't appreciate being called an arm chair supporter by the **** above

don't take it to heart, its just jealousy rearing its ugly head again. I imagine there are very few Villa armchair supporters, they're not exactly the most glamorous team to support.
Well i haven't because it's the same guy that say's we don't deserve to be where we are....very few fans of any club would say that so he is an exceptional..should we say plonker?
Reply 795
Bawwwwww

Someone called me an arm chair fan over the internet. Grow up son.
Jeppaloth
Bawwwwww

Someone called me an arm chair fan over the internet. Grow up son.

If your going to label people things you should be sure of what you say instead of spurting out complete and utter rubbish. You will find out one day
Reply 797
Lads fer :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: sake no need. Arm chair fan or not, isnt really something should be offended about, its the internet!

A villa mate of mine wished Santa will bring us three points tomorrow, aww how cute. They do care!
Im not actually offended..its the blind stupidiness of calling someone something when they're not. It's like me calling im a new found glory supporter (for when city actually do start winning things)

And merry christmas at the same time jim-e
Reply 799
you too mate.

Latest