The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Erik.
Arsenal will get anally raped if the home talent rule (6+5 foreigners) ever comes in.

We'll be grand if that rule comes in :wink:
Reply 981
RobbieC
It won't Erik. Not in the next 10-20 years, anyway. Not a cold-shot in hell's chance. And we wouldn't... because we train many of our players for such a long time that they either gain citizenship, or qualify as home talent anyway...

And what issue was that Jepp? And that wasn't long enough for you to increase your IQ to average tbfh.

Jim-ie, I don't take things too seriously, only as seriously as they need be taken. I love football, and to see even the suggestion that it can be ripped apart by this fantasy crap enrages me, as it probably does 95% of fans. But it does present the chance to see another club crumble as its investors realise that A) its not sustainable and B) its not fun anymore... so they C) toddle off and take their pillar of financial support away, leaving you in administration and falling rapidly into the conference:biggrin:

That Villa loves Valencia and the fans, Valencia are in huge debt, Money cures debt, we have lots of money, so if we buy Villa it solves some of Valencia's debt making the fans and therefore Villa happy.

In reality it is the fact your team will no longer be top 4 because you are the weak link, that is what you hate, not fantasy football, the fact you will lose lots of revenue.
Reply 982
Stu Laverty
However, if such a rule comes in, it won't be for a while, when Arsenal's newest batch of youngsters come through :wink:

perhaps, which is a shame, although Arsenal's youngsters do look promising - I'd happily pay £10m for Jack Wilshere now!

but yeah I hope the rule can overcome the legal hurdles and get passed, it's just not acceptable for clubs to be fielding all-foreign XIs in my view.
Reply 983
Jim-ie
We'll be grand if that rule comes in :wink:

Aye, would force us to call upon the best academy in the country.

Anyway I'm off to eat lunch and get to the match, we betetr not slip up here.
Reply 984
Erik.
perhaps, which is a shame, although Arsenal's youngsters do look promising - I'd happily pay £10m for Jack Wilshere now!

but yeah I hope the rule can overcome the legal hurdles and get passed, it's just not acceptable for clubs to be fielding all-foreign XIs in my view.
But can you give a good reason why it is not acceptable? I would say it is acceptable because it provides the best footballing spectacle, and those players - through their abilities - have earned the right to play for the best teams in the best leagues in the world.
Reply 985
RobbieC
It won't Erik. Not in the next 10-20 years, anyway. Not a cold-shot in hell's chance. And we wouldn't... because we train many of our players for such a long time that they either gain citizenship, or qualify as home talent anyway...

And what issue was that Jepp? And that wasn't long enough for you to increase your IQ to average tbfh.

Jim-ie, I don't take things too seriously, only as seriously as they need be taken. I love football, and to see even the suggestion that it can be ripped apart by this fantasy crap enrages me, as it probably does 95% of fans. But it does present the chance to see another club crumble as its investors realise that A) its not sustainable and B) its not fun anymore... so they C) toddle off and take their pillar of financial support away, leaving you in administration and falling rapidly into the conference:biggrin:

I don't see how City are 'ripping apart football' - would you say that Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man Utd are doing that by being able to afford transfer fees that no-one else can? Because that's all the 'City are gonna ruin football' arugment essentially comes down to - the fact that we're alledgedy causing (or gonna cause) transfer fees to be inflated.
Reply 986
RobbieC

Good thing our owners are here not to flex their ego like Abramovic, or as a political tool like Thaksin, they're getting a lot of cheap land from the city council for buying City and investing in and developing East Manchester which atm looks more like waste land in eastern europe in 1991. That should keep them here for a very long time.

No ones playing fantasy football, Hughes doesnt load up FM09 to see who has a good rating, we've put in solid bids for good players, everything else is paper talk with maybe a bit of truth and interest in it if we're lucky enough. What you and other critics are afraid of is another team that can muscle in on the top 4 and land signings that only you and three other teams could have hoped to sign before.

Also you keep talking about football being a spectacle, Robinho and Kaka, then players like SWP, Elano, Ireland in the same team is not interesting to watch? That would create more beautiful football than you could imagine.
Reply 987
Jeppaloth
Aye, would force us to call upon the best academy in the country.

Anyway I'm off to eat lunch and get to the match, we betetr not slip up here.

We're gonna lose. I'm off to the match too, if you're in Mary Ds look out for a :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: in an army jacket. :smile:
Reply 988
RobbieC
But can you give a good reason why it is not acceptable? I would say it is acceptable because it provides the best footballing spectacle, and those players - through their abilities - have earned the right to play for the best teams in the best leagues in the world.

I just feel that English teams should be identifiably English, it's a matter of pride - how can we as a footballing nation claim any credit for an 'English' side wining European competitions if the team consists of no English players.

Admittedly foreign players bring excitment and a cosmopolitan feel to the league and that is priceless too, but I just feel a home talent rule would ensure the right balance between the two really.
Reply 989
jealous of all those off to the match btw! If I wasn't so skint I'd have come back to Manchester early for this one.

here's hoping we don't do something typical of City eh!
Reply 990
Erik.
I just feel that English teams should be identifiably English, it's a matter of pride - how can we as a footballing nation claim any credit for an 'English' side wining European competitions if the team consists of no English players.

Admittedly foreign players bring excitment and a cosmopolitan feel to the league and that is priceless too, but I just feel a home talent rule would ensure the right balance between the two really.
What if I were to pipe up about home-ownership? It would rather put the rest of the top 4, yourselves and Villa to shame that Arsenal are the only club owned by English investors who have lifelong support for the club wouldn't it? But I don't, because all that's important is that the club is run well, as ours is, and that the players have ability, which ours do.

And as for Jim-ie, those players? I watched Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Ljungberg and Adams et al. on the pitch in their prime. I have nothing to be jealous of, even if your fantasy crap comes to anything.
Reply 991
RobbieC
What if I were to pipe up about home-ownership? It would rather put the rest of the top 4, yourselves and Villa to shame that Arsenal are the only club owned by English investors who have lifelong support for the club wouldn't it? But I don't, because all that's important is that the club is run well, as ours is, and that the players have ability, which ours do.

And as for Jim-ie, those players? I watched Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Ljungberg and Adams et al. on the pitch in their prime. I have nothing to be jealous of, even if your fantasy crap comes to anything.

English investors? :holmes:
Reply 992
As in our club is owned by English businessmen, such as P-diddy-Hill-Wood et al.
RobbieC
:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. Players who play with a sense of pride and self-respect take into account the history of a club, the way it is run and managed, and also the current crop of players they would be joining.

And Phil, I'm actually a pacifist, so you'd be fine tbh. Though I am not a fan of golf... tennis?... badminton?... american football?:biggrin:

I like Tennis :yep:
Reply 994
Zonoessss! Guys, what happened?! All your English quality... and money... and Kak-... Oh wait.

You will not be securing anyone's signature in the ball-park of World Class this January, if we're being honest. And if I were one of your owners, I'd have already had my fill of mid-table mediocrity:biggrin:
Reply 995
RobbieC
Zonoessss! Guys, what happened?! All your English quality... and money... and Kak-... Oh wait.

You will not be securing anyone's signature in the ball-park of World Class this January, if we're being honest. And if I were one of your owners, I'd have already had my fill of mid-table mediocrity:biggrin:

I think you should join the wit society man, we just can't handle all the wit around here, I mean we are all simple ape like northerners, rigght?ht?
Reply 996
I've already agreed we wont be signing world class players in January.
Reply 997
I quite like some northerners. Have to tbh, since I go to University in Durham, and went to the Liverpool footy meet. Some nice guys up there.

Also some deluded fools who think that money can do anything for you, who required being put firmly back in their place as I hope they now have been. But I've not been to the blue side of Manchester to meet them face to face.
Reply 998
Jim-ie
I've already agreed we wont be signing world class players in January.
Just this morning you were mentioning David Villa with the audacity to expect he might join you, unless that was your good pal Jeppaloth. In which case, my mistake, and I am glad there is a sprinkling of realistic expectation around here.
RobbieC
. But I've not been to the blue side of Manchester to meet them face to face.

You don't want to Robbie.

Latest