The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jim-ie
Exactly my point, what are the factors? Success? Yes. History? Yes. Support? Yes. City fans are known for bigging up our support because we do have a big support, much to the bemusement of united fans :wink:

But we have had periods of success, we've won the cup winners cup which isnt the most presitigious cup but its still a trophy.

The past 20 years or so, since they won the European cup, Villa have had the same relative success as City have had, **** all, they've been up and down and then had a long period of being in the premier league. Villa won the league cup twice since then. Thats it.

Everton have been on and off with being a sustained English force for years but its never amounted to much in the end, has it? The last time they won something was 1995, but then again, Blackburn won the actual league, are they bigger than all three clubs in their history since 1993? So far, yes, success wise. But theyve been up and down like Yoyos too.

We are all mid table clubs, toby will big up that hes in the top 4 NOW but lets remember at times last season City were consistently in the top 4 of the table but we ended up finishing 9th. In the first season MON was incharge they were close to fighting relegation. Sound familiar?

League cup twice, Fa Cup runners up, Intertoto. Granted we haven't won much since then but that doesn't take anything anyway form our succesfull history as being a club. Just like you, we are about to enter the good years again

Jim-E. I'm not bigging up Villa, im just making a point since Eric said we were all aveage premier league teams. No we are not and i especially mean Villa and Everton are not. Because however much you like/dislike hearing this we aren't average we are 2 of the most succesful clubs in England.
Tobydch
I think sucess/history is one of the biggest factors. Not whether your known in Sevilla, Salamanca or Rio de Janiero.

Your have a higher average capacity yes, but your stadium can hold more.

And so your saying history and success is wrong to judge a club? But yet you say it's support is a good measure? HUH?????????????????

The amount you post on this thread I hope you'll be coming to see us at CoMS?
Villa and City are pretty even in terms of size imo.

Tobydch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_records_in_England

Scroll down to the table. Evidence we are both (Villa Everton) more succesful

6 of Villa's 7 league titles and 6 FA Cups (out of 7) were like 100 years ago. Surely a post war table of trophies would be better?
Reply 1183
Tobydch
I think sucess/history is one of the biggest factors. Not whether your known in Sevilla, Salamanca or Rio de Janiero.

Your have a higher average capacity yes, but your stadium can hold more.

And so your saying history and success is wrong to judge a club? But yet you say it's support is a good measure? HUH?????????????????

We've only been in COMS for a few seasons. I was referring to Maine Road which was hardly the spectacle of english stadiums.

I'm saying its only part of how to judge a club, its not the only reason to say its a big club.

Tobydch
League cup twice, Fa Cup runners up, Intertoto. Granted we haven't won much since then but that doesn't take anything anyway form our succesfull history as being a club. Just like you, we are about to enter the good years again

Jim-E. I'm not bigging up Villa, im just making a point since Eric said we were all aveage premier league teams. No we are not and i especially mean Villa and Everton are not. Because however much you like/dislike hearing this we aren't average we are 2 of the most succesful clubs in England.

Eh, no, you're an average premier league club until you can consistently be in the top 4, sorry to say it. I'd like to see Villa and Everton (and City) do it, but take off the specs, Forest have the biggest trophy in European football, they're a big club, but they arent in the premiership nevermind the top 4, if they were in your position even they would still be an average team these days. You're talking with the attitude that your dick size is bigger than my dick size when you talk about Villa being a big club. Yes, in the grand scheme of things you are a big club, so are Newcastle, Everton, City, Tottenham, Blackburn, lets put it into perspective though. You havent wont much recently thats notable, three seasons ago you were fighting relegation, you havent broke into the top 4 YET, save that argument for the end of the season, and the only club to really have broken the top four at one point or another has been Everton. Blackburn have done the only thing none of us have done and thats win the league. We're all respectable upper midleague teams these days, dont try and big yourself up so much then have the cheek to call City fans diluded :rolleyes:
Reply 1184
Jeppaloth
The amount you post on this thread I hope you'll be coming to see us at CoMS?

If he is I'll buy him a pint (and ive a few villa mates coming up anyway), i like his input even if I think hes wumming sometimes.
Jim-ie
If he is I'll buy him a pint (and ive a few villa mates coming up anyway), i like his input even if I think hes wumming sometimes.

I just don't have the patience for it, I need a sheltered environment :p: . He is like I am with United, but I have a reason to hate United..
Reply 1186
Jeppaloth
I just don't have the patience for it, I need a sheltered environment :p: . He is like I am with United, but I have a reason to hate United..

Dont go on bluemoon then, you'll end up killing yourself! Depressing as christ.
CoMS?
Reply 1188
City of Manchester Stadium
Jim-ie
Dont go on bluemoon then, you'll end up killing yourself! Depressing as christ.

I occasionally go on it, I usually use a better site, it is more of a community, about 15 or so of us. If I can find a link I'll PM it to you and Erik if he wants. I can't stand Hughes outers, I mean if the season was ending now I would agree but sacking him now would be disasterous, should have sacked him mid Novemeber if we were going to.
Tobydch

The vast majority of your major titles came about before the television was invented.

Villa are a big club, but you're living off a period of 3 great years from 81 to 84 atm. Everton and Spurs have been more successful than Villa over the last 50 years.
Klinsmannic
Surely a post war table of trophies would be better?

Please, dear god no, the depression I'd go through would be unbearable.
Klinsmannic
The vast majority of your major titles came about before the television was invented.

Villa are a big club, but you're living off a period of 3 great years from 81 to 84 atm. Everton and Spurs have been more successful than Villa over the last 50 years.

3 great years in which we managed to win footballs most coverted trophy. I suppose we are being biased but tell me why Spurs are more succesful than Villa?

Isn't that a bit odd considering we won the European Cup, Premier League, League Cup, Chairty Shield, European super cup within the last 50 years..not to mention runners up in fa cups
Tobydch
3 great years in which we managed to win footballs most coverted trophy. I suppose we are being biased but tell me why Spurs are more succesful than Villa?

Isn't that a bit odd considering we won the European Cup, Premier League, League Cup, Chairty Shield, European super cup within the last 50 years..not to mention runners up in fa cups

Domestic:

Villa: 1 league title since the War
Spurs: 2 leagues

Villa: 1 FA Cup since the War
Spurs: 6 FA Cups

European:

Villa: 1 European Cup, 0 Uefa Cups, 0 Cup Winners' Cups

Spurs: 0 Euro Cups, 2 Uefa Cups, 1 CWC + (first British team to win a European trophy)

NB- 2 of Villa's 3 major trophies came in successive seasons.

-----

You'll go on about the European Cup, but you always need a bit of luck. The great Spurs side of '61 (first pw side to do the Double) got drawn against one of the all-time great sides (Eusebio's Benfica, who went on to win it) in the semis, which was unfortunate. But winning a CL is not the be all and end all. Arsenal have never won it, are Villa bigger than Arsenal? Your European success was a one off.

EDIT: corrected error in last paragraph
Reply 1194
Aye, its like me saying Celtic are a bigger club than most PL sides, which they arent. First team from britain to win the european cup and won everything entered that year, had some periods of success, a fairly respected European team even now, UEFA cup finalists, etc. fan wise, sure, a truely big club with millions of supporters worldwide, but right now? Barely Premier league standard, if even to be honest. What factors are we going to take to say Celtic are a big club? Theyve history and a fan base that outshadows Villa/City/Everton together.. recent success in Europe? Not much and probably never again.

What makes a big club? I;m inclined to say support is a big factor, both of which Villa and City have, not including Spuds, Everton who have big loyal support who stick with their club regardless of dominating neighbours, which Villa doesnt have, they are the "dominant" neighbour to the other clubs in Birmingham.
Reply 1195
Jeppaloth
I occasionally go on it, I usually use a better site, it is more of a community, about 15 or so of us. If I can find a link I'll PM it to you and Erik if he wants. I can't stand Hughes outers, I mean if the season was ending now I would agree but sacking him now would be disasterous, should have sacked him mid Novemeber if we were going to.

Aye PM me it pls.
Jim-ie

What makes a big club? I;m inclined to say support is a big factor, both of which Villa and City have, not including Spuds, Everton who have big loyal support who stick with their club regardless of dominating neighbours, which Villa doesnt have, they are the "dominant" neighbour to the other clubs in Birmingham.

You saying Spurs don't have a big fanbase?
Reply 1197
Klinsmannic
You saying Spurs don't have a big fanbase?

Saying the opposite!
Jim-ie
Saying the opposite!

Oops, apologies. I'm in 'back against the wall' mode :shifty:

:catfight:
I see Hughes is trying to get Trezeguet to join Man City.

Aparently the arabs know alot about Serie A & the players.

€600m transfer kitty (apparently), i wonder how much of that will actually be spent. Unless it is a kitty for this window, and the summer one.

Latest