The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by katie091000
On your driving test, is it okay to pull up opposite driveways that are on the other side of the road?

Not sure, but it is certainly a pain in the ass. We have this neighbour who always parks here car directly opposite of our driveway, and sometimes we need to ask her to move it just to leave.

It's more out of courtesy for others.
Have common sense... I live on a road that's easily wide enough for 3 cars at a time so would have no issue if someone parked opposite my drive. But if it's narrow or near a bend or something and you're obstructing the exit it's not a good idea.
Original post by katie091000
On your driving test, is it okay to pull up opposite driveways that are on the other side of the road?

Well one of the manoeuvres is pulling up on the right hand side. But the rules still apply - do not park in front or obstruct someone's drive way.
When I was asked to pull up in the left, I parked outside someone’s driveway and passed. Not sure if my examiner was forgiving or ...
Reply 5
As previous posters have said, it wouldn't be ideal to park (and leave) your car opposite a driveway where the road is very narrow.

As far as the test is concerned, you're not leaving your car in that spot for any notable time. You're only there briefly until the examiner asks you to move away again, or carry out some exercise. You shouldn't stop on yellow lines or across a driveway that's on your side of the road, but opposite a driveway that isn't being used won't be a problem for just half a minute. If you can see someone wanting to get into or out of that driveway, you should reconsider.
Original post by Advisor
As previous posters have said, it wouldn't be ideal to park (and leave) your car opposite a driveway where the road is very narrow.

As far as the test is concerned, you're not leaving your car in that spot for any notable time. You're only there briefly until the examiner asks you to move away again, or carry out some exercise. You shouldn't stop on yellow lines or across a driveway that's on your side of the road, but opposite a driveway that isn't being used won't be a problem for just half a minute. If you can see someone wanting to get into or out of that driveway, you should reconsider.

This is such bad advice. You're still not supposed to obstruct someone's driveway even for a minute.

I had to pull up on the side of the road and then move off as quickly as I pulled in. In my test, that was the only mistake (minor) I got - obstructing or parking in front of a driveway. In the Highway Code, it specifically says you're not supposed to. So why are you telling someone it's ok, even if it's for 30 seconds?
Reply 7
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
This is such bad advice. You're still not supposed to obstruct someone's driveway even for a minute.

I had to pull up on the side of the road and then move off as quickly as I pulled in. In my test, that was the only mistake (minor) I got - obstructing or parking in front of a driveway. In the Highway Code, it specifically says you're not supposed to. So why are you telling someone it's ok, even if it's for 30 seconds?

Read my post again and you'll see that I'm referring to stopping opposite a driveway that is on the other side of the road, not on the same side where you are parked. If you're stopping on the left and there is a driveway on your right, this won't be a problem where the road is wide. Narrower roads should cause you to reconsider, especially if you see somebody struggling to get in or out.

You should not stop or park next to a driveway on the same side of the road as you (on your left)
Sometimes the examiner will say “Pull up on the left when it’s safe, you can ignore driveways on this occasion”. If they don’t say this do not park in front of a driveway. I wouldn’t park opposite one either, unless the road is quite wide.
Original post by Advisor
Read my post again and you'll see that I'm referring to stopping opposite a driveway that is on the other side of the road, not on the same side where you are parked. If you're stopping on the left and there is a driveway on your right, this won't be a problem where the road is wide. Narrower roads should cause you to reconsider, especially if you see somebody struggling to get in or out.

You should not stop or park next to a driveway on the same side of the road as you (on your left)

opposite driveways that are on the other side of the road

Regardless if its's on the other side - it's still parking in front of a driveway - irrespective if it's on the left or right. That's what I assumed OP was asking??
You could always check The Highway Code, some poor sod spent ages writing a whole section just waiting for you to ask.

Latest

Trending

Trending