The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unless you want to go to Oxbridge, or a few other top universities for certain subjects, there is no advantage in having four. Moreover, you can get into any university with three A-Levels.
DHthe2nd
True, but it is very possible to get into top unis with only three. Doing three isn't a limiting factor.

I agree entirely :smile:

However I do think it'll disadvantage you, even by a small amount. Although unless it's Oxbridge, the effect of 'only' doing 3 shouldn't be over-emphasised IMHO :smile:
Reply 22
I think it does look better to unis if you've coped with 4 A Levels and still got top grades, however if you don't think you'll be able to get AAAA or at minimum AAAB, then drop one! AABB looks worse than AAA; looks like you couldn't cope. I didn't think about dropping one of my four, cos my college don't let you take 4 ASs anyway, I had to bribe them to let me lol, so when I started A2 I didn't realise people usually dropped one, and as I wasn't struggling in any I thought there was no reson to drop one.

However, what I have found is that whilst this makes no difference throughout the year (well, except that I have to go in 5 days a week and everyone else just has 4), when it is hard is exams. I had exams every day last week and two on some days, and I've had more exams than other people. I've found this pretty stressful, and whilst it is managable and I seem to be doing okay in the exams, it is not ideal. Maybe it would be an idea to look at the proposed exam timetables for June 09 and if there's two of your subjects with exams together then drop that one, if any? It may not seem like a big deal now, but when you're in A2 and these exams have a lot of importance attatched to them, it will seem like a big deal!

But, as I have said, if you think you will be able to cope, during the exam periods specifically, then by all means go for it!
im doing 5 next year

haha
Do 4, if anything it gives you a slight advantage over people with 3 a levels when applying to uni, everything else being equal. Also it really won't mean you have no social life- I do bio, chem, english lit and maths and I really don't work hard at all, I just cram before exams (although I'm probably not a great example to follow). Also if you totally mess up an a level and have an AAA uni offer, it doesn't matter because you still have 3 other a levels to get As in! Well that was my logic :biggrin:
It's an additional qualification, which has to be beneficial (if only on an egotistical level :p:). But it isnt really any direct advantage regarding university applications. If you think you can handle it, I would say go for it. You'll have plenty of time between september and january to decide if its too much to handle.
Reply 26
I would recommend it, if only for the fact that it promotes a good working ethos. If you're capable why wouldn't you want to prove it?

Personally, I haven't found it too much extra work. I did start off with 6 A2s though (including General Studies) but quickly left Further Maths behind me xD
Reply 27
i kept 4 subjects and the exam timetable for the summer finals is frightening
Reply 28
If you'd like to do it, take it. Come a few weeks into the course, if it's just too hard/the workload is too much you can always drop the subject.
Reply 29
if you know the university you want to apply to wants 3A's only, and you don't find physics hard, then take it just as an insurance just incase any of your other A-levels fail you during june. like what i'm doing :p: taking 4 subjects, but i only need 2 XD

if you find physics hard, then drop it in favour of concentrating on your other subjects. it's better to get AAA than AABB, especially if you're applying for medicine.
The only good thing about taking four has been that I can get a B in one and still go to university. I emailed Cambridge asking them about this last year, and was told very clearly that they would rather I had AAA than AABB and that they didn't really care whether you were taking 3 or 4 subjects as the offers they give out are only based on three.

I suppose it depends what you're applying for. If you feel like you can do well in all four and you don't mind having to stay in sometimes when other people are going out, and you're prepared to work yourself into the ground, take four :smile: Be warned though, in terms of workload I found it a fairly big step up from AS. As I took completely different subjects to you (apart from Maths, which changed from being fairly easy into screwing with my mind) it's up to you how you take that advice.

Latest