The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sephs
Good news - I got an email today offering me an interview! :biggrin: Thanks to those who took the time to answer my questions. No news did turn out to be good news!

I'm going to stalk this thread now and read about the OJE/Interview. It'll be on Thursday, so fingers crossed!

Good luck! On mine they didn't even do the OJE part just a very casual interview and got offered the job on the spot so hopefully yours is just as easy :smile:
Reply 3981
Original post by BrokenJohn
Finished my shift and I really, really want to quit. They seemed to have stuck me in the worst area of the restaurant and given me a task which no one else wants to do. The managers are never satisfied and expect us to move at impossible speeds, caught one of them bitching about me while I was standing about 10 feet away. Witnessed more drama in the kitchen, managers kicking boxes and getting into arguments with other employees. Was told by one of the crew trainers the only way to survive in the restaurant is not to show any weakness and not to take any crap from anybody. The restaurant seems to try and cut as many corners as possible when it comes to money and we're not allowed to take the box the chips come in when having lunch nor do we get any money from completing the apprenticeship.

If I didn't desperately need the money I would have been out of the door last week, looks like I'm going to have to ride it out until I can get the opportunity to get out of there. :frown:

Is the fry box thing to save money? Loads of our fry boxes end up on the floor and no one cares. Things like that are ridiculous and you can complain directly to Mcdonalds which you should do as that's not right.
Reply 3982
Lmao applied for a gap year summer job and they told me I was underqualified :wink:

Part time I worked there for 3 months, 18 months in sales whilst doing A levels and just finished a 5 month internship (first non graduate to do it at this place) :redface:

It made me lol.
Reply 3983
Original post by mattdst
Lmao applied for a gap year summer job and they told me I was underqualified :wink:

Part time I worked there for 3 months, 18 months in sales whilst doing A levels and just finished a 5 month internship (first non graduate to do it at this place) :redface:

It made me lol.

They're ****ing ****ers that's why lol I think i've reached the maximum amount of times you can apply to them, i'm pretty sure they don't even read my applications anymore.
Original post by fwed1
Our store did the whole "no fry boxes" rule but it didn't last long. They also didn't pay us for apprenticeships because we got a qualification out of it (that I was forced to get by the store manager and don't need).

What job have you been given that is so terrible? Lobby is very boring but I wouldn't say you needed to move at impossible speeds, kitchen is quite relaxed generally and tills you are under pressure to move fast but the actual job itself isn't too difficult.

Managers should not be shouting at employees though, talk to your store manager or even phone HR if it continues.

It's in the kitchen on the grill doing the regulars, relaxed? lol It's one of the busiest parts of the restaurant. You're expected to churn out eight regulars x2, four doubles x2 on a constant basis at lightning speed. People who are "too slow" are moved to other areas of the restaurant as they would "get in the way". I asked the manager on my last shift to move me to a different station because I couldn't cope with the heat, I was moved to the chicken side and within 30 minutes the kitchen went into meltdown and had to move back to the regulars because they weren't being made fast enough, this was after I was criticised for being too slow. I spent the rest of my shift there sweating constantly and people kept asking me if I was OK because I looked terrible. The manager did try to move me but I would be moved back by another manager and my manager doesn't seem to have backbone and was taking crap from one of the shift managers despite being an assistant manager.
Original post by IGX_RSV2
Hey Wondering If I could get some advice, since theres alot of people here who have worked at Mcdonalds for a long time.

Yesterday my til was down at the end of my shift.

Half way through the lunch hour rush I noticed that there were different denominations of coins in some of the moneybags which I had weighed for my float in the morning. Would this have led to an inaccurate float?

Also someone else(shift manager) used my til during the lunch hour rush because I was instructed to clean up a spill of ice cream behind the counter. I had to help on a few orders also.

The manager also did a refund but didn't input it into the til so there was no refund receipt printed off for me to sign.

Obviously I'm not happy about this at all because when it came to cashing up, it was short so I got a retraining slip.

If i'm right, on the cash procedure for dealings with +/-, I shouldn't have got a retraining slip because someone else used my til(going by the flow chart on the cash office wall) and not to mention the refund not being taken into account and the possibility of the inaccurate float count due to mixed coins.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Other people using other peoples tils in rife in our restaurant and a few of the managers are aware(and pissed off about it) but nothing has been done as of yet.

if a manager uses your till or tells someone else to then its thier responsbility. my till was down £40.00 once because a lady ordered a fair few meals and wanted milkshakes with them then the machine went in to pastursie. i was training someone at the time and the area manager gave a refund without doing the correct procedure.
Reply 3986
Original post by dottylottie
Good luck! On mine they didn't even do the OJE part just a very casual interview and got offered the job on the spot so hopefully yours is just as easy :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin:

I'm going to speak to my best friend prior to Thursday and hopefully he'll help me with what to expect, etc.
Also, I forgot to mention yesterday, the email says I should take my birth certificate, but I haven't had one for years as it's been misplaced.

Is this to prove I'm a national? Only my passport says I was born in Liverpool, is that good enough or should I call to enquire?

Cheers for any replies :smile:
Original post by Sephs
Thank you! :biggrin:

I'm going to speak to my best friend prior to Thursday and hopefully he'll help me with what to expect, etc.
Also, I forgot to mention yesterday, the email says I should take my birth certificate, but I haven't had one for years as it's been misplaced.

Is this to prove I'm a national? Only my passport says I was born in Liverpool, is that good enough or should I call to enquire?

Cheers for any replies :smile:

Yh its to prove you're a citizen and have right to work so a passport will be fine. I don't even have a passport atm and they let me start work as long as i bring it in eventually (don't think they're too strict) :smile:
Reply 3988
Original post by dottylottie
Yh its to prove you're a citizen and have right to work so a passport will be fine. I don't even have a passport atm and they let me start work as long as i bring it in eventually (don't think they're too strict) :smile:

Lovely, thanks for the reply! :smile:
Reply 3989
Original post by spoonertron
if a manager uses your till or tells someone else to then its thier responsbility. my till was down £40.00 once because a lady ordered a fair few meals and wanted milkshakes with them then the machine went in to pastursie. i was training someone at the time and the area manager gave a refund without doing the correct procedure.

You know you can stop it pasturising by just holding the pasturise button.
Reply 3990
woooo just had an amazing first day. 8 and a half hour shift & it was pretty good :biggrin: The manager told me I shouldn't work so hard haha. Everyone was really friendly & it feels so good workin here. Repeat tomorrow :biggrin:
Everything was fine with my til in the end. I talked to my B.M and she had already investigated over the last few days and it turns out the next person on the til was up around the amount that mine was down. She also counted the safe and things were over. She did also say she got rid of the rts.

My shift was great today, with the exception of this really horrible woman. What happened was; the person backing me forgot this womans chicken sandwich. when the woman told me her chicken sandwich wasn't in the bag, I asked my colleague if they had put a chicken sandwich in there or not just to make sure......then this woman shouted at me saying "I'M NOT A LIAR YOU KNOW, YOU'RE SO RUDE"......... I didn't rise to it or say anything, just went in the office to speak to my manager which calmed me down :smile: Thank goodness it was the evening though, or I probably wouldn't have had the chance to calm down if it was any other time. I count myself lucky that most of my managers are nice and understand things can get too much sometimes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3992
Original post by IGX_RSV2
Everything was fine with my til in the end. I talked to my B.M and she had already investigated over the last few days and it turns out the next person on the til was up around the amount that mine was down. She also counted the safe and things were over. She did also say she got rid of the rts.

My shift was great today, with the exception of this really horrible woman. What happened was; the person backing me forgot this womans chicken sandwich. when the woman told me her chicken sandwich wasn't in the bag, I asked my colleague if they had put a chicken sandwich in there or not just to make sure......then this woman shouted at me saying "I'M NOT A LIAR YOU KNOW, YOU'RE SO RUDE"......... I didn't rise to it or say anything, just went in the office to speak to my manager which calmed me down :smile: Thank goodness it was the evening though, or I probably wouldn't have had the chance to calm down if it was any other time. I count myself lucky that most of my managers are nice and understand things can get too much sometimes.

Reading some of your posts makes me slightly glad I work on grills :P

I'm doing my first breakfast tomorrow (only for 30 minutes though :rolleyes:) and has anyone got any tips or anything for working in the kitchens during this? As I'm pretty sure I'll be there and ideally I want to do the best I can.

Also I've never have a McDonalds breakfast before, so I have no idea what is what. :rolleyes: So any help would be heavily appreciated by anyone :awesome:
Original post by Xhotas
Reading some of your posts makes me slightly glad I work on grills :P

I'm doing my first breakfast tomorrow (only for 30 minutes though :rolleyes:) and has anyone got any tips or anything for working in the kitchens during this? As I'm pretty sure I'll be there and ideally I want to do the best I can.

Also I've never have a McDonalds breakfast before, so I have no idea what is what. :rolleyes: So any help would be heavily appreciated by anyone :awesome:

Breakfast in the kitchens means cooking: sausages (on the regular grill), muffins, folded and scrambled egg (using an egg mix - we do cook them on our quater grill but this may be different for you) and round eggs (which go inside the mcmuffins and come from shell eggs).

At my store we normally have one person on sausages and muffins, as the toasters and grills are right opposite each other. This person will also toast the bagels and bacon roll buns in the vertical toaster (bacon is steamed in the chicken preset steamer). Another person will be on all three types of eggs and a third will be on assemble - or BOP - making up all the items just like chicken side during the day. Sometimes we also have a second person on BOP if we're really busy.

Be ready for a rapid change over to lunch items and for lots of grill cleaning! At my place we finish breakfast at half ten but we start cooking main menu at about 25 past to allow for the DPSC (which involves probing cooked products to ensure they are at the right temperature and also recording cook times and visual characteristics of the meat) to be completed - this is not something you will be asked to do unless you have the relevant SOCs.

Usually we are most busy for breakfast from 10-10.30 (so in the last half hour) so be prepared!!

I hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 3994
are any of you guys losing weight because you're on your feet the whole time?
I feel like this is more a workout than an actual work & I can't eat a lot during breaktime because of it. it's driving me insane, i'm gonna have to start takin protein shakes for weight gain before & after.

One old lady asked me today where can she buy an umbrella. In London. In Oxford street. :biggrin:
Reply 3995
Mmmm, recycled new uniforms :tongue:

Original post by Torrchy
are any of you guys losing weight because you're on your feet the whole time?

No :frown: I love a good binge on what's left over at the end of the night. :colondollar:
Reply 3996
Original post by Stacks

No :frown: I love a good binge on what's left over at the end of the night. :colondollar:

Maybe this will change as it was only my second day. I've been told not to work so hard (by my manager!) but I just can't stand still & do nothing (unless I'm cleaning the trays), I need to be on the move.

baaah it's drivin me insane. :s-smilie: & my legs feel like I've just ran a marathon :biggrin:
I have been working at McDonalds for a while (7/8 months? I called in sick yesterday due to a stomach bug from a takeaway from a night before. I went in work today as normal and noticed that my mananger has removed me from all shifts next week and updated schedule yesterday.

Bang out of order, esp after I havent called in sick before.
Reply 3998
I have an OJE and interview tomorrow for a Customer Care Assistant position, not really sure what that role really involves. I'd be happy to do nothing but cleaning, I can stay away from the grease and not have to deal with too many customers :teehee: but I doubt that'll be it.
They replied surprisingly quickly considering I applied on Friday! Hopefully it goes well and I can get such £££ in the bank :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Currentuser
I have been working at McDonalds for a while (7/8 months? I called in sick yesterday due to a stomach bug from a takeaway from a night before. I went in work today as normal and noticed that my mananger has removed me from all shifts next week and updated schedule yesterday.

Bang out of order, esp after I havent called in sick before.

I think technically you are only allowed to work again after 48 hours after your symptoms have ceased and you have a doctors note to say you're fit to work around food again. This is the case in my store and it's in the employee handbook. something to do with health and food safety law?

Did you try speaking to your manager? Thats probably why you were removed from the schedule...

Latest

Trending

Trending