The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McWorker
I'm not sure about the time off, but someone at my store only works Saturdays and often books them off and they're still employed. It depends on the manager I guess.

16-17 is usually around £4.40
18-20 is usually around £5.00

At my welcome meeting we went to a central McDonald's and filled in forms about tax and personal details, signed a contract and was given a folder with instructions to do the online orientation and take it into the store, we would then be given uniform and a shift.

Brilliant, Thank you! I'm gutted because I was so happy to get this job and then realised that I would have to take quite a bit of time off in August, do you think if I say I don't mind working all the days I'm not away and working extra in the month before/after it might soften the blow?

Thanks again

George x
Reply 6381
Original post by GeorgeHWheeler
Brilliant, Thank you! I'm gutted because I was so happy to get this job and then realised that I would have to take quite a bit of time off in August, do you think if I say I don't mind working all the days I'm not away and working extra in the month before/after it might soften the blow?

Thanks again

George x

Just don't mention it unless they specifically ask you (I'm guessing you aren't legally required to tell them about holidays) and book time off using McTime in a month or two.

If you're a good worker they won't fire you for taking a holiday, they probably aren't allowed to do that anyway, especially as it is unpaid. Just talk it through with your scheduling manager if they refuse to allow you a holiday, mine is very reasonable.

And book it off way in advance as well, not like the week before. They don't like that very much...
(edited 11 years ago)
Just don't mention it unless they specifically ask you (I'm guessing you aren't legally required to tell them about holidays) and book time off using McTime in a month or two.

If you're a good worker they won't fire you for taking a holiday, they probably aren't allowed to do that anyway, especially as it is unpaid. Just talk it through with your scheduling manager if they refuse to allow you a holiday, mine is very reasonable.

And book it off way in advance as well, not like the week before. They don't like that very much...

I literally have applied on a part time basis so hoping that me taking just under 3 weeks off won't be a problem! If I had known I was going to apply for the job then I wouldn't have booked the holidays without checking :s-smilie:
Are they quite understanding with stuff like this?
Nothing came up on the application form OR in the interview/OJE asking me about holidays I've got booked so I'm hoping that if I wait until the welcome meeting and say something then, hopefully it'll be okay!
How much notice would you say to give? I go away on the 30th July until the 5th, then the 9th-18th! Would also need to take the 26th-28th off as I would be up north celebrating my 18th.. Would you say this is reasonable or too much to ask them to allow?

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

George x
Reply 6383
Thanks, I won't give up. I just feel like the managers don't appreciate me. One of the shift managers who is in charge of the training realises how good I am and has been giving me workbooks for the stars (hardly anyone has them), but it just feels like the store manager is oblivious to all this.

Do you think company owned restaurants would have better training and managers than the franchised ones? There is a smaller company run one near me that I could potentially transfer to.

My McDonald's seems to be not doing very well, the area manager guy always visits us, whenever he does the shift manager has a fit, sorting everything out, putting timecards in the production bin, making sure nothings out of place. It used to be really good but we keep failing mystery shopper visits.

Given time, the managers will realise your good, but unfortunately there are too many people who can't be bothered and try and do the bare minimum, and sometimes managers forget not everyone is like that.

I've not worked in a company store, but I have heard they have an easier time because financially and because of that there is less pressure to save money. But every store is different, some franchised stores are run very well while others aren't. Same for company stores.

You'll find that's the case when area managers/franchisees/ops consultants etc visit any store. No store is perfect, and there is always things which can be done better, so the shift manager does have a panic.
Reply 6384
I literally have applied on a part time basis so hoping that me taking just under 3 weeks off won't be a problem! If I had known I was going to apply for the job then I wouldn't have booked the holidays without checking :s-smilie:
Nothing came up on the application form OR in the interview/OJE asking me about holidays I've got booked so I'm hoping that if I wait until the welcome meeting and say something then, hopefully it'll be okay!
How much notice would you say to give? I go away on the 30th July until the 5th, then the 9th-18th! Would also need to take the 26th-28th off as I would be up north celebrating my 18th.. Would you say this is reasonable or too much to ask them to allow?

George x

Give as much as you can, but leave it for a month or two (at least until after you finished your probationary period)

They'll allow quite a bit of time off, they do understand part time workers cannot devote themselves to their job. I've only worked a couple of shifts this month due to exams and going away, they're very reasonable.
Reply 6385
Original post by tm00131
Given time, the managers will realise your good, but unfortunately there are too many people who can't be bothered and try and do the bare minimum, and sometimes managers forget not everyone is like that.

I've not worked in a company store, but I have heard they have an easier time because financially and because of that there is less pressure to save money. But every store is different, some franchised stores are run very well while others aren't. Same for company stores.

You'll find that's the case when area managers/franchisees/ops consultants etc visit any store. No store is perfect, and there is always things which can be done better, so the shift manager does have a panic.

Yeah, but I think my store is a really badly failing one. They've changed the way you get your food on break so many times because they are determined that it is us taking an extra few nuggets is causing the thousands of pounds loss they are having each month, even though the managers don't do proper waste counts and stock checks.

When the head ops consultant area guy came last time they made a lot of people work over (I was 3 hours over the end of my shift, others were 4 or 5) because all the managers were following the ops guy around instead of working meaning we were short staffed (the schedule was messed up anyway). We still didn't do too well on the inspection thing, only just passed it.
Reply 6386
Yeah, but I think my store is a really badly failing one. They've changed the way you get your food on break so many times because they are determined that it is us taking an extra few nuggets is causing the thousands of pounds loss they are having each month, even though the managers don't do proper waste counts and stock checks.

When the head ops consultant area guy came last time they made a lot of people work over (I was 3 hours over the end of my shift, others were 4 or 5) because all the managers were following the ops guy around instead of working meaning we were short staffed (the schedule was messed up anyway). We still didn't do too well on the inspection thing, only just passed it.

Always makes me laugh when food costs are an issue and managers moan but then don't do waste counts! One of the stores I work at has real food cost issues and were allowed a medium EVM (exc. 5 selects, 9+ nuggets) and no dessert, whereas my uni store doesn't have food cost issues and you can have any large meal you want, a second drink, dessert, nobody really cares if you have an extra cheeseburger, cheese dippers or something like that as well.

Might be worth transferring, I've seen a phone number you can ring somewhere for the Transfer Helpline or something like that. But don't be surprised if the other store also has problems.
Reply 6387
Original post by tm00131
Always makes me laugh when food costs are an issue and managers moan but then don't do waste counts! One of the stores I work at has real food cost issues and were allowed a medium EVM (exc. 5 selects, 9+ nuggets) and no dessert, whereas my uni store doesn't have food cost issues and you can have any large meal you want, a second drink, dessert, nobody really cares if you have an extra cheeseburger, cheese dippers or something like that as well.

Might be worth transferring, I've seen a phone number you can ring somewhere for the Transfer Helpline or something like that. But don't be surprised if the other store also has problems.

Yeah, the store manager will change his mind eventually because a lot of the shift managers don't care. A punishment for one of the crew taking an onion ring was making him have a whole portion so they could at least record it, which they didn't.

I'm unsure about transferring though as I've heard from others who have worked at McDonald's that their stores were horrible and the crew were bitchy etc. so I don't know whether they just had a bad experience or I'm lucky to have such good crew members to work with. I'll probably use it as a last resort, if I do talk to my manager about how I feel.
Made my first monumental **** up.

Apparently I was meant to be in work today but I thought he told me Monday of next week.

On Mctime I'm only scheduled for Friday but in work the other day he said he'd put me in on a monday as well but hadn't put it up on Mctime and I'm sure he said the 28th but got a missed call this morning.

Felt sick really, rang back and apologised but he didn't sound too happy :frown: aghh

George x

This happened with me, a year ago I had an interview and my welcome meeting at the end of June (I couldn't start until July due to school leaving age etc) and then realised I had a 2 week holiday at the end of July, plus a wedding a week before this and another week holiday at the end of August so all I did as soon as I started was book it off through McTime and went through it with the scheduling manager because I sort of messed up a bit in booking the right time off :tongue: But everything was fine and I'm still here nearly a year later and doing 1 shift a week (due to sixth form 5 days a week-full time, so doing both days at a weekend would kill me) but yeah, they really didn't mind with me, and that was starting at the start of July :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Reply 6390
:smile::smile::smile: i like
Reply 6391
i like i like:smile::smile:
Reply 6392
Original post by Steveluis10
Made my first monumental **** up.

Apparently I was meant to be in work today but I thought he told me Monday of next week.

On Mctime I'm only scheduled for Friday but in work the other day he said he'd put me in on a monday as well but hadn't put it up on Mctime and I'm sure he said the 28th but got a missed call this morning.

Felt sick really, rang back and apologised but he didn't sound too happy :frown: aghh

Just apologise in person when you see him next. People at my store miss a ridiculous number of shifts, the manager gets annoyed but forgets about it after a while.
Hi all,

Just got offered a summer job at McDonalds.

Couple of questions

How does the cashback system work on the discount thingy online?

Why is the orientation thing online so patronising?

Do you have to eat a McDonalds lunch or can you bring your own?

Do you like it there?
Reply 6394
Original post by tm00131
Run out of chicken? That's ridiculous! Saying that, we've been 30 seconds from running out of fries once, luckily the delivery was out the back but if it had been 5 minutes later than it was, we'd of been screwed!

We don't have the schedule on the wall at my uni store, but we have a folder containing the schedule/floorplans in the office, so most people check that.

It really is! And it's not the first time it's happened either! We're lucky in that we have another store across the road from us if we're running out of stock. Although, they can be awfully stingy sometimes and we end up needing to bring in a taxi from another store.

Original post by Just Josh
Hi all,

Just got offered a summer job at McDonalds.

Couple of questions

Do you like it there?

Basically, you just click the link to the website and buy the stuff on the website as you normally would. It will take a week or so for it to show up as cash back received, but when it does you can transfer it to your bank. If the cash back doesn't come through, you can submit a form which sorts it out for you though. The cash back is great, I've saved more than £70 over the last year and a half, and I've not utilised it as much as I could!

You don't have to eat McDonald's food if you don't want to. I only eat it cause it's free :p:

I really enjoy my time there! I've been here 3 1/2 years and I really like it. I'm quite lucky that everyone in my store gets on, and there aren't any trouble makers really.
Original post by Ronda
It really is! And it's not the first time it's happened either! We're lucky in that we have another store across the road from us if we're running out of stock. Although, they can be awfully stingy sometimes and we end up needing to bring in a taxi from another store.

Basically, you just click the link to the website and buy the stuff on the website as you normally would. It will take a week or so for it to show up as cash back received, but when it does you can transfer it to your bank. If the cash back doesn't come through, you can submit a form which sorts it out for you though. The cash back is great, I've saved more than £70 over the last year and a half, and I've not utilised it as much as I could!

You don't have to eat McDonald's food if you don't want to. I only eat it cause it's free :p:

I really enjoy my time there! I've been here 3 1/2 years and I really like it. I'm quite lucky that everyone in my store gets on, and there aren't any trouble makers really.

Sweet, thanks for the reply. Exciting stuff by the sounds of it. !
Reply 6396
Original post by Just Josh

You buy something and after a few days the money should show up in your cashback account thing, you can use it on reloadable cards or withdraw it.

Because some right idiots work there, my manager said in my interview that it was meant to be a test but it impossible to fail.

You can bring your own, the managers would probably like you more as they don't have to give you food for free

Do you like it there?

Strangely yes, even though sometimes I hate it I have never thought about quitting really.
Reply 6397
Original post by Ronda

We've other stores nearby too, although they're a bit further way so need to send taxis. Crew get sent between stores too if one is short, can be quite funny when people come to my store from the drive thru where they do £1000+ in evening hours and we do £100. They aren't used to the quiteness.

Must be a bit of a challenge for stores which are miles away from any other, don't want to be running out of something like regular meat or fries and not have a store within half an hour.
Reply 6398
Original post by tm00131
We've other stores nearby too, although they're a bit further way so need to send taxis. Crew get sent between stores too if one is short, can be quite funny when people come to my store from the drive thru where they do £1000+ in evening hours and we do £100. They aren't used to the quiteness.

Must be a bit of a challenge for stores which are miles away from any other, don't want to be running out of something like regular meat or fries and not have a store within half an hour.

There's another store a 10 minute walk from us, which is owned by a franchisee, so we're technically not supposed to give them any stock (although we generally do so they can return the favour if need be), but I could imagine it being hard for stores being the only one in the franchised group.

It's always funny going to stores that have different sales patterns. Like for my manager OJE, I worked through a £1400 hour during the week, and our store only does that during the Edinburgh festival and boxing day sales. I had to run production during that, so it was quite a shock considering the highest hour I'd done on production was £900! And on New Years day I worked in the store across the road from us, and they'd projected a £20000 day, with our highest being £7000 (mind you, they'd have been open 22 hours that day compared to our highest being from 0730 to 1830, but it's still crazy thinking about it!)
Reply 6399
I have a question)
Where can I buy slip-resistant shoes that are recommended by Mcdonalds?)

Latest

Trending

Trending