The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why do they have these T-red things? Why does it matter if you make a mistake and have to void things?

I'm a bit confused cos they don't have it at my store.
Original post by michaelr1992
Why do they have these T-red things? Why does it matter if you make a mistake and have to void things?

It's because you can put an order through your till, especially chicken/breakfast - then the kitchen people will cook it, then you can void it off and give it away for free.
Original post by SebMurphy
It's because you can put an order through your till, especially chicken/breakfast - then the kitchen people will cook it, then you can void it off and give it away for free.

Oh I suppose so, I hadn't thought of that. I normally just scream "DON'T MAKE THAT DELI" over to chicken side and hope that does the trick :tongue:
I've got told that you can steal money through t-reds, but don't understand how..

It can also be very annoying if you're on booth 1 and a car decides it doesnt want the food anymore or orders have got mixed up due to handheld and a big order has to be voided...

I also noticed when I was signing for my float the other day that theres a section of expected loyalty cards... Does any store actually count these ? Ours just end up all over the store or in someone's pants to take home :')

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Was really poorly at work today (sick and passed out) and when i explained to the manager that i could do with going home 2 hours before my shift finished he got really cross with me. Ive only been there for a weekand he told me it didnt look good and that i was still on my probationary. When i told him i could stay until 5 he said what use is that? Just go, theres no point in you being here.
Im a very hard worker and all of the crew and most of the managers are surprised ive not worked in mcdonalds before and have only been there for a week. Im worried i might lose my job :frown:
You cannot work in a food prep environment if you are sick. Tell your store manager about what happened, that manager is clearly up their own arse like a lot of others.
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i
What a douche manager...

Yeah, tell another manager, he's in the wrong.
Thanks guys. I went to a different manager as the clocking out machine wasnt working on the edge of tears (silly bit combination of being very sick and having an awful day, with the rude manager pushing me over the edge) and he asked if i was okay and told me it would go on my record but not as a bad thing, as it cant be helped... But i dunno. I feel very uncomfortable with the manager now as he was so nasty and i am still worried about my job.. I think he is high up in the management system so he may have power over it. :frown:
Reply 7408
Original post by x Danny
What are the average hours like do you know? I heard one hour was £8000+?! How many crew are on, backers and the likes?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by alexlemon2
Sounds fun :biggrin: How busy is the store and how big is it? What's the kitchen like? How many crew are on at a time?

Apologies for all of the questions :biggrin:

I've overheard a few things though these haven't been confirmed. We do roughly £5-8k hours when its v.busy though this is expected to be more as the athletics begin at the stadium. We are so far past all projections and we have apparently broke records though I'm not sure of what ones or if this is true.

The kitchen area is huge. We have 2 whole kitchens with 4 fry stations too as well as three drinks areas, one for the front counter and then we have 4 express lanes (like a drive thru but for people with HHOT -> pay -> collect food) with one drinks area for each two express lanes.

We have 20 tills as well which are all open during peak hours. Estimating the amount of staff on during the peak hours it could be around 150+ (kitchen staff, fry people, front counter, backers, express lane staff, customer care, managers ect...)

Done my first ever closing the other day, they're having problems with actually getting staff to turn up so they're paying double for all overnight staff which is nice! Also all local staff get £150 for every 5 shifts they come to so I am raking in the money from this! :smile: Enjoying it so far but its beginning to take its toll on my health, and a few of the other staff too sadly! Travelling 2 hours each way everyday is tough and the shifts are really really hard work - I'm really pushing my body to the extreme trying to keep up with the pace. Its my first day off tomorrow and I've been given a ticket to see the Water Polo by McDonald's so that should be good and its nice to have a rest!
Reply 7409
Original post by foodnom
is anyone else always down on tills? i have no idea where the money goes but in an 8 hour shift i was down 9p. I always double check that i give the right change or that they've given me the correct money. I know its only 9p but when you're not being paid much it really annoys me :angry:

anyone have any tips?

That happens to me to, I have no clue how it happens, I always check the money sometimes I am even up money! You say you're not being paid much like they taking the money from you, is this the case?
Original post by Jessca
I've overheard a few things though these haven't been confirmed. We do roughly £5-8k hours when its v.busy though this is expected to be more as the athletics begin at the stadium. We are so far past all projections and we have apparently broke records though I'm not sure of what ones or if this is true.

The kitchen area is huge. We have 2 whole kitchens with 4 fry stations too as well as three drinks areas, one for the front counter and then we have 4 express lanes (like a drive thru but for people with HHOT -> pay -> collect food) with one drinks area for each two express lanes.

We have 20 tills as well which are all open during peak hours. Estimating the amount of staff on during the peak hours it could be around 150+ (kitchen staff, fry people, front counter, backers, express lane staff, customer care, managers ect...)

Done my first ever closing the other day, they're having problems with actually getting staff to turn up so they're paying double for all overnight staff which is nice! Also all local staff get £150 for every 5 shifts they come to so I am raking in the money from this! :smile: Enjoying it so far but its beginning to take its toll on my health, and a few of the other staff too sadly! Travelling 2 hours each way everyday is tough and the shifts are really really hard work - I'm really pushing my body to the extreme trying to keep up with the pace. Its my first day off tomorrow and I've been given a ticket to see the Water Polo by McDonald's so that should be good and its nice to have a rest!

Wow that sounds amazing. Enjoy the water polo!
Reply 7411
Original post by adam_1234
Wow that sounds amazing. Enjoy the water polo!

All the hard work aside its an incredible experience and I'm so happy I got the opportunity to do this! I don't know the rules for Water Polo but I will try my best to enjoy it :tongue:
Reply 7412
Original post by foodnom
is anyone else always down on tills? i have no idea where the money goes but in an 8 hour shift i was down 9p. I always double check that i give the right change or that they've given me the correct money. I know its only 9p but when you're not being paid much it really annoys me :angry:

anyone have any tips?

I wouldn't worry with things like 9p. I know in the safe at my store, with some of the change (especially the ones in coin bags rather than the sealed bag) it falls out of the bag. So sometimes if you ask for 5 pences, you'll end up with £4.95 because one of them has fallen out or something. If it's things like that I don't usually go through all the hassle to find which bag the 5p has fallen out of, whereas if it was £1 coins I would. It's when you start to be down things like ~£1 that I'd worry that you're not giving change away properly.

Original post by michaelr1992

Apparently, crew will find the total of what the customer actually wants (say they wanted 3 big mac meals), then they'd ask the customer for the money. They'd then void off one of the meals and pocket the money from the one meal, whilst putting the money from the other two in the till and give the customer the correct change. It's a bit stupid if you ask me, and places a bit of a blame culture on crew. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure if someone was serious about trying to steal money they'd do it in a way which causes less hassle.
I've never heard the term 'T-Red' in my store. Most customers will change their mind, remove things, change sizes, present vouchers at the last moment etc. I don't think it can really be helped. Managers at my store are really good and I think they understand that these things do happen.
Reply 7414
Original post by MrBuck
That happens to me to, I have no clue how it happens, I always check the money sometimes I am even up money! You say you're not being paid much like they taking the money from you, is this the case?

no i mean i wouldnt mind the money i lose coming out of my wages if i was being paid more in the first place.

i know its only 9p but i've lost more than that before :/ but i just have no idea where it goes!
Feeling really down about work today :frown: I had my second ever shift today and I've been employed to work on lobby - I don't really like it, it's so boring. I got told to come into the kitchen and in about 30 seconds was told how to work the cash machine in the drive-thru. It seemed fine but I made a couple of mistakes and didn't know what to do at times - I got a bit embarrassed thinking that the person taking orders must have thought I was an idiot. Once I had done that I arranged the chicken for the salads which was simple enough. But there was this one crew member who just randomly shouted at me, unprovoked, purely just to annoy/get a reaction out of me. Was really odd and obviously I didn't let it show but I was a bit upset by it.

Anyway, after today I'm really worried that I'll just be stuck on lobby for eternity instead of the kitchen where it seems to be more interesting. But at the same time I'm terrified of getting things wrong and my moments of incompetence today really put a downer on my start to work and made me feel so stupid.
Reply 7416
Original post by Ronda
I'll charge them individually unless they wanted it large :getmecoat:.

You still get t-reds with NP6 though. T-reds are based on how much money worth in orders has been voided off your till, not how many times you've used the till card. NP6 just means it's less hassle to actually void off the item!

I see, our managers don't care about T-reds anyway seen as they are silly.

Original post by parkyparkinson
I charge people if they ask for a big mac meal and THEN present a voucher, i just refuse the voucher... :mmm:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Surely they complain though? If they've paid, fair enough, tell them to save it for next time. But before they've paid, however frustrating it can be, I don't see how you can refuse the voucher.

Original post by Roving Fish
NP6 annoyed me, though it is much improved from the old/current POS system - it's just that everything should be easier to upgrade etc... The process could be simplified so much more and it could be a bit smarter.

I suppose it's that bloody game on OurLounger where their way is the only way whereas in practice I'm sure you could do it so many other ways?

NP6 is much better for real than on Ourlounge.

Original post by SortYourLife
I've got told that you can steal money through t-reds, but don't understand how..

It can also be very annoying if you're on booth 1 and a car decides it doesnt want the food anymore or orders have got mixed up due to handheld and a big order has to be voided...

I also noticed when I was signing for my float the other day that theres a section of expected loyalty cards... Does any store actually count these ? Ours just end up all over the store or in someone's pants to take home :')

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e

Most managers don't bother checking loyalty cards at my store, the few who do aren't really bothered if your down though.

Original post by foodnom
no i mean i wouldnt mind the money i lose coming out of my wages if i was being paid more in the first place.

i know its only 9p but i've lost more than that before :/ but i just have no idea where it goes!

I don't think they can dock your wages, not 100% sure but believe that is the case.
What a splendid shift. A customer **** on the floor of the restaurant, and guess who was on lobby?
We get such classy customers in our restaurants.

If we are down by more than £1 it gets taken from out wages plus a small admin fee. It all adds up if you are constantly down. All you can do is make sure you count your float at the start of your shift, even if it's already bagged up. If you're being rushed into logging into a till and the shifty tells you you can't go count it then tell them you will refuse to take responsibility for it. Make sure you take your time when counting out change, especially if you're tired, ill or stressed. And make sure no one else uses your till, not even for one order! Lock it when you go on your break, and ask whether anyone used it while you were away. And I really hope you are all using note checker pens! I am embarrassed to reveal how much fake cash we took one Saturday recently -_-

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i
Quite proud of myself, had £2300 in my till today and somehow managed to be 81p up ha :tongue: I think this might be because we ran out of 1ps and 2ps in the store so I was swapping it with money from the drive thru charity box, so doing that and taking cash from awkward I probably didn't do some of the swapping right. Better up than down though, and all the copper from the charity box was emptied :')

We went through a phase of checking every note due to the number of fakes we had recently, now everyone just does it on 20s

Latest

Trending

Trending