The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tlozoot
1) Can money be taken out of your wage to cover the costs of broken equipment? Our store has recently implemented this rule. If you are found to have broken something then the cost of it will be deducted from your wage. If something is broken on shift and a culprit cannot be found the cost is taken from everyone on shifts wage. Is this legal?

Ha lord no. Cannot be done

tlozoot
2) Discrepencies in our till are being taken out of our wages where as before it resulted in a retrain/warning. Alot of people are saying that this isn't legal but I'm unsure myself.

Again, cannot do this

tlozoot
3) Likewise as the above, if we take a fake bank note this is taken out of our wages. At first this was fine because we were supplied with note checker pens to stop this. However they have now all gone missing so we are not supplied with any means to check notes for forgery, nor has any training been issued to educate us to detect fakes. Last week a girl at our store took a fake tenner and this is being taken out her wages.

Nope!

tlozoot
4) Our store used to issue a free meal with our break but stopped and instead gave us 30p rise an hour (this is less than our allowance was worth, but I digress...) . However, I and many of my co-workers are not getting this rise because it occured near (2 months ish) the time when we turned 18 and so got another rise. Managers are telling me that pay rises can cancel each other out on the system, that this is simply "bad luck" and we will never see that extra money.

Company policy is to allow a minimum on 1 regular EVM meal per employee per break

Essentially it sounds like you have a very dodgy store manager. If I were you I'd get on the phone to HR and have serious words. He is in breach of a lot of rules and for the good of yourself and the other crew something needs to be said.

They can be contacted on 0870 600 5120

I really hate hearing about these stories as my store manager is really fantastic and is a pleasure to work with/for. Its things like this that give the company a bad name.
matt bass
Ha lord no. Cannot be done

Again, cannot do this

Nope!

Company policy is to allow a minimum on 1 regular EVM meal per employee per break

Essentially it sounds like you have a very dodgy store manager. If I were you I'd get on the phone to HR and have serious words. He is in breach of a lot of rules and for the good of yourself and the other crew something needs to be said.

They can be contacted on 0870 600 5120

I really hate hearing about these stories as my store manager is really fantastic and is a pleasure to work with/for. Its things like this that give the company a bad name.

Most of this can be done if the store is franchised. the taking money from wages for till discrepancies certainly can be done, as when our store got franchised, it was written into our new contracts that this would happen.

i've heard about getting more £ per hour instead of a meal allowance, but never seen it implemented.

it is right that some wage rises can cancel each other out.this happens pretty much every year, when you get your PR. unless you're a shift manager, then the amount you get on your PR is normally about the same as the minimum wage increases, so you only get the biggest amount.

hope that all makes sense.
tlozoot
Hey guys. McDonald's worker for 15 months and I'd like to ask a few questions regarding some questionable changes at our store:

1) Can money be taken out of your wage to cover the costs of broken equipment? Our store has recently implemented this rule. If you are found to have broken something then the cost of it will be deducted from your wage. If something is broken on shift and a culprit cannot be found the cost is taken from everyone on shifts wage. Is this legal?

2) Discrepencies in our till are being taken out of our wages where as before it resulted in a retrain/warning. Alot of people are saying that this isn't legal but I'm unsure myself.

3) Likewise as the above, if we take a fake bank note this is taken out of our wages. At first this was fine because we were supplied with note checker pens to stop this. However they have now all gone missing so we are not supplied with any means to check notes for forgery, nor has any training been issued to educate us to detect fakes. Last week a girl at our store took a fake tenner and this is being taken out her wages.
4) Our store used to issue a free meal with our break but stopped and instead gave us 30p rise an hour (this is less than our allowance was worth, but I digress...) . However, I and many of my co-workers are not getting this rise because it occured near (2 months ish) the time when we turned 18 and so got another rise. Managers are telling me that pay rises can cancel each other out on the system, that this is simply "bad luck" and we will never see that extra money.

If anyone could comment on how legal these things are then I'd appreciate it. I'm especially sore about being duped out of the extra 30p. For me "bad luck" doesn't cut it.

Thanks in advance!

This happened at our mcdonalds because those machines were issued at every till to check and so if a note was found to be fake, then the employee didn't check it!
Reply 1183
MichaelGoodwin
Most of this can be done if the store is franchised. the taking money from wages for till discrepancies certainly can be done, as when our store got franchised, it was written into our new contracts that this would happen.

i've heard about getting more £ per hour instead of a meal allowance, but never seen it implemented.

it is right that some wage rises can cancel each other out.this happens pretty much every year, when you get your PR. unless you're a shift manager, then the amount you get on your PR is normally about the same as the minimum wage increases, so you only get the biggest amount.

hope that all makes sense.

Yes, perhaps I should have mentioned that our store is franchised. Although all these changes were introdued a month or so back while our store has been franchised since it was opened.

If taking money out of wages for till discrepencies and broken equipment is allowed then be that as it may, but surely they cannot justify penalising someone taking a fake note without supplying the appropriate tools or training to detect such fakes.

Everyone I speak to doesn't seem to see a problem with these increases cancelling each other out. Maybe I'm being cynical but is this a petty little 'error' with McDonald's pay system which they see as too good to fix or is there a substantial reason behind it? All the managers (both ones I trust and ones I don't) seem to have rolled over and accepted that the company is badgering them out of wages they're entitled too merely because of some quirk in the way things work.
2) is almost certainly illegal.
As someone with a law degree, I can guarantee you that 1) is absolutely, totally and utterly illegal.
4) is contrary to company policy.
Reply 1185
At my work on a till - not in Mcdonalds though - Any fake notes ect we must pay back ourselves.. This was implemented by regional managers a few months ago.
Can I ask, what is the point in retraining slips? We just sign them and never see them again... ?
tlozoot
Yes, perhaps I should have mentioned that our store is franchised. Although all these changes were introdued a month or so back while our store has been franchised since it was opened.

If taking money out of wages for till discrepencies and broken equipment is allowed then be that as it may, but surely they cannot justify penalising someone taking a fake note without supplying the appropriate tools or training to detect such fakes.

Everyone I speak to doesn't seem to see a problem with these increases cancelling each other out. Maybe I'm being cynical but is this a petty little 'error' with McDonald's pay system which they see as too good to fix or is there a substantial reason behind it? All the managers (both ones I trust and ones I don't) seem to have rolled over and accepted that the company is badgering them out of wages they're entitled too merely because of some quirk in the way things work.

Regardless of franchise or not! The Franchisee has to answer to the company. Get yourself onto HR!
Crew at ours go straight on to their final warning for taking a fake note, store manager was sick of people taking them when there's note checkers on front and drive thru.
adam_1234
Crew at ours go straight on to their final warning for taking a fake note, store manager was sick of people taking them when there's note checkers on front and drive thru.

Thats kind of right. Any crew cash discrepancies over £20 (ie fake note) a final written warning can be issued straight away.
This job is ridiculous. They work you twice as hard as a normal job for the same money, in boiling hot conditions, and more noise than WWI; I can still hear the beeping and my shift ended two hours ago. Does it get better? I was intending on doing this job for a while to earn some cash for university, but if this is how it will always be I will chuck it in right now. I think it would be better if I was on drive through or the tills, or even cleaning, but they're determined to keep me in the kitchen.
Gimothy
This job is ridiculous. They work you twice as hard as a normal job for the same money, in boiling hot conditions, and more noise than WWI; I can still hear the beeping and my shift ended two hours ago. Does it get better? I was intending on doing this job for a while to earn some cash for university, but if this is how it will always be I will chuck it in right now. I think it would be better if I was on drive through or the tills, or even cleaning, but they're determined to keep me in the kitchen.

Keep moaning at your management telling them you want to move out of kitchen. People at ours have been moved to kitchen before, and vice versa. They tend to get more shifts too, or rang in to do shifts, since they can cover front and kitchen.
Reply 1192
Working at McDonalds can be fun, sometimes stressful. The lucky thing about the job is if you get sick of one area/station in the store you are free to ask the management to schedule you in another area for a change. Most jobs you're assigned to do your job and that's is.

Each week, I do delivery + kitchen one day and booth 1 / front till the other four days. It can get quite boring/repetitive when I'm in booth 1 but I suppose you've just gotta grit your teeth and get on with it. I can't complain because I get 40 hours a week and not many people get scheduled that..

I love working busy days at our store because we have till competitions and I've won the last three but that's mainly due to till positioning but I've won on two different tills lol
Reply 1193
I did it.

I applied.

Oh, dear.

Lol, but I need the cash :|

IS it as bad as it sounds? How do they go about checking your application after you've sent it away?
Ronar
I did it.

I applied.

Oh, dear.

Lol, but I need the cash :|

IS it as bad as it sounds? How do they go about checking your application after you've sent it away?

it is not as bad as everyone makes out..if you have the right attitude it could be great fun.

i think after you send off the application it is scored and if you recieve ** + then you are invited to interview and so on.

Good luck
Reply 1195
TheKingLivesOn
it is not as bad as everyone makes out..if you have the right attitude it could be great fun.

i think after you send off the application it is scored and if you recieve ** + then you are invited to interview and so on.

Good luck

Lol I'm hoping I do get the job though, just found out that another 4 of my friends are going for it too because everybody is skint D:

Ahh, I hpe I passed the questionarre. Lol, If I get rejected I reckon i'll just give up on life

Edit: How do they contact you and how long does it take? Because it might help me stop checking me email like a maniac lol :wink:
Ronar
Lol I'm hoping I do get the job though, just found out that another 4 of my friends are going for it too because everybody is skint D:

Ahh, I hpe I passed the questionarre. Lol, If I get rejected I reckon i'll just give up on life

Edit: How do they contact you and how long does it take? Because it might help me stop checking me email like a maniac lol :wink:

It varies from store to store and manager to manager. They will either call or email you.
Reply 1197
matt bass
It varies from store to store and manager to manager. They will either call or email you.

It says closed on my application on the website, does that mean rejection?

Lol...

Edit: Now it says application recieved! why are they ****ing with me?! What does application closed even mean? Do they change about? Did they decide to give me another chance :s-smilie:

I need a hug lol :frown: I was all upset at getting rejected then not, you know I don't think i'm ever getting a job anywhere and I'm just going to have live my parents till i'm old and decrepit. Bah. :frown:
Reply 1198
It will start off on:

Application received then
Considering
Then either - Rejected or Accepted - However the store may contact you before these statuses are even changed on the website.

Closed - means that the job is closed to further applications, and cancelled means the job is obviously no longer there.

Oh and it took one branch 2 months to get back to me!!
Reply 1199
kkdonut
It will start off on:

Application received then
Considering
Then either - Rejected or Accepted - However the store may contact you before these statuses are even changed on the website.

Closed - means that the job is closed to further applications, and cancelled means the job is obviously no longer there.

Oh and it took one branch 2 months to get back to me!!

Cheers, so does that mean that they will consider my application but nobody elses? Lol I'm confsed how it went from recieved to closed to recieved again :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending