The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
legally_desi
woah what happened??
king's is ABOVE ucl???
that's weird

It's great, I'm (hopefully) going to King's for Law so it can keep on moving up the table as far as I'm concerned! :biggrin:

Graduate prospects for Oxford are 88% though :confused:

What is that based on?
Reply 81
pcok
It's great, I'm (hopefully) going to King's for Law so it can keep on moving up the table as far as I'm concerned! :biggrin:

Graduate prospects for Oxford are 88% though :confused:

What is that based on?

Employment at graduate level or further study after 6 months of degree. It's stupid because it doesn't say anything about the quality. Speed isn't everything. I guess if you decide to take a gap year you're university gets a lower %. How stupid is that?

To be honest King's shouldn't be that high up but it doesn't make a difference if it were placed No1 or No14 because no employer will discriminate. Quite frankly if you come from Bristol, the London unis (King's, LSE, Queen Mary and UCL), Durham, Manchester, Nottingham, Warwick (and that's been ranked 19 for the last few years), you'll be valued as much as the other and employers will go on other factors.
Reply 82
Tory_boy
I do like Ann Coulter actually. She's far from a national joke in the US. I absolutely understand where she is coming from in that quote of hers you use. Its called being strong on National Security - something Liberals know nothing about.
Are you playing some sort of perverse game? Let's try another one. Invading their countries, killing their leaders and converting them to Christianity is to being strong on national security as lynching black people is to:

[a] preserving our cultural heritage
[b] being firm on immigration
[c] empowering local people

Your comment takes political obfuscation to a grotesque, new level.
Machiavelli the prince
Therefore, in accordance with your rational- Southampton is on par with Oxford since they both have 5*B departments?
When I visited Southampton and spoke to one of the final year students she explicitly stated that only 5 people had secured training contracts. When visiting Manchester however, it is clear by the shear amount of sponsorship from leading firms, that they are regarded very highly.
Also taking into account applicant/place ratios and entry standards, Warwick and Manchester are far more difficult to get into. This would suggest that they may be better because they are more sought after, or they may be better because they arguably have higher calibre undergraduates.

Applicant to place ratios (Warwick and Manchester both 14/1; Leicester and Southampton both 7/1 : Based on 2007 stats)
Entry standards (Warwick and Manchester both AAA, Southampton AAA/AAB and Leicester AAB).

If the point you are making is that Manchester and Wariwck are in higher demand then yes I'd agree with you (higher grades are a result of higher demand). But that doesn't make them better (hence the RAE and NSS scores). My point is people need to look at the evidence and make their own decisions about choices and not follow folklore and the herd.
These Rankings Mean Very Little
Reply 85
I was being as serious as I ever am in these parts. I have responded to Koyla by way of PM so as not to impinge on the excellent debate that is taking place on this thread. Affairs of State and National Security should be talked about in a more privileged environment, don't you think? I am sure that there is as much chance of an agreement being reached between myself and Koyla as between the league table supporters and nay-sayers in this thread. Still, a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do - Homer Simpson told me so.
Reply 86
Solemn Wanderer
Meaning what :p:
Now you're just wanting me to debate these issues with you too because you're feeling left out. I'm always serious. If I say something, I mean it. I hate Liberals. I mean it :smile:
Reply 87
You know what this thread needs? A good Tripos debate.

I personally think they should take the mean score of all your results from exams that were sat on a Monday, add that to the mode of all your results, then subtract the median of your third year results, and that will decide on what degree class you get.

Solemn?
TommehR
You know what this thread needs? A good Tripos debate.

I personally think they should take the mean score of all your results from exams that were sat on a Monday, add that to the mode of all your results, then subtract the median of your third year results, and that will decide on what degree class you get.

Solemn?

What's a Tripos? Is it that Cambridge system where only your final grade matters?
bob dylan perhaps
If the point you are making is that Manchester and Wariwck are in higher demand then yes I'd agree with you (higher grades are a result of higher demand). But that doesn't make them better (hence the RAE and NSS scores). My point is people need to look at the evidence and make their own decisions about choices and not follow folklore and the herd.

Your supply/demand theory doesn't really hold; Nottingham had an applicant/place ratio of around 7/1 (same as Soton and Leicester) for 2008 entry, yet they have some of the highest entry requirements of any law school.
Your suggesting that high RAE and NSS scores mean a better university. One of which is highly subjective, difficult to quantify and is not compulsory for all students to complete (NSS). The other was undertaken 7 years ago and so is hardly the most reliable of statistics, and which therefore wouldn't be accountable for these huge fluctuations (RAE).
No decent prospective law student is going to go to a university based soley on 'folklore', they'll visit it and make up their own minds- which is what I did. Much evidence doesn't present itself until you actually visit the departments, which is why I stated my findings when visiting both Southampton and Manchester in a previous post.
Reply 90
I think it goes without saying that these latest ranking confirm that such league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt. Perhaps even a handful.
Reply 91
hi :smile:

just finished my AS and going to do A2 in sept.
i do accounting english lit history and politics... i want to do the course " law with one year study abroad llb" ... and in the year abroad i want to go to australia/melbourne because i have family there. does any one reccomend any universities which are top 20 that offer the course?
you can do it at NOttingham. You have to apply for straight law and then apply for a transfer in your second year though, and Melbourne is fairly competitive primarily because at present there is only one place to go there.
Reply 93
Lewisy-boy
you can do it at NOttingham. You have to apply for straight law and then apply for a transfer in your second year though, and Melbourne is fairly competitive primarily because at present there is only one place to go there.

Just to add. All transfers are extremely competitive and you should never assume you will get one. I think that your first year results are taken into account.
Your first year results are relevant but by no means determinative. I only got a 2.2 in first year, and some people with far better grades than me were rejected for transfer, because another criteria is "suitability for study abroad". In essence this gives them the ability to not send people they don't like for whatever reason.
Reply 95
Lewisy-boy
Your first year results are relevant but by no means determinative. I only got a 2.2 in first year, and some people with far better grades than me were rejected for transfer, because another criteria is "suitability for study abroad". In essence this gives them the ability to not send people they don't like for whatever reason.

did they interview you?
Yup.

Latest

Trending

Trending