The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2020!

Scroll to see replies

Just to dispel some of the A Level myths - I applied for a VS at a magic circle firm in the last cycle and was successful with ABD at A Level. I don't even recall my A Levels being mentioned at any stage of the process. I've since secured a TC at that firm.

There are many firms that quite clearly state minimum grade requirements and I would steer clear of those (unless you have strong mitigating circumstances), but many big firms don't set a requirement so as long as you write a stand-out application and have other strengths to talk about (legal or non-legal work experience with transferable skills) then you will have just as much chance as anybody else!

Good luck to all applying, it is a bit of an emotional roller coaster but worth it in the end.
Reply 21
Thanks!
Great advice Nicktim and a very useful insight; thank you for sharing.
Reply 23
Original post by MajorJohan
I believe you are correct the only ones I have seen open so far are A&O, Ashurst and Jones Day anyone have any others that are open?

I haven't read page 2 of this thread yet, but to add, CC are open. They opened on the same date as A&O.
May I ask whether there is a time limit for it, or is it like other capp assesments I have done where there is no time limit but the time you take is taken into account?
Original post by UncertainGrad
Personally wouldn't waste my time with Jones Day as they literally stipulate AAB minimum iirc. As for the other two you mention, many of the magic circle firms ostensibly have no minimum A level requirement, but the reality I fear is that they hire from the top tranche of Russell Group unis and Oxbridge. I am not going to waste my time applying to them- quality applications take ages and and frankly if my ABB is going to be tossed in the bin immediately, I'd rather have spent my time applying to other great firms who might give me the time of day.

Just my two cents.

True, I completely agree with you! I can't seem to find any firms with minimum BBB or BBC so I guess every firm will toss my application in the bin haha
Reply 26
Original post by m111k111
True, I completely agree with you! I can't seem to find any firms with minimum BBB or BBC so I guess every firm will toss my application in the bin haha

Look regional.

For reference, I was at an event a couple of days back and grad rec stated that whilst there was an A-Level requirement, as long as you hit it, they do not look at your scores. They are more interested in the other parts of your application.
Just out of curiousity, those that are thinking of applying for the Winter VS - are you guys in your final year? (Or has anyone completed the Winter VS whilst being in their final year). I don’t know if it’s worth applying as i’m currently in my final year and worried that i’ll be wasting my time.

Also, has anyone been successful in receiving a training contract after completing the LPC at a top firm?
(edited 4 years ago)
hi everyone. im just about to start my second year of LLB, im not sure if its just my university that are useless with advising us on what we should be doing to ensure we become a successful solicitor but im feeling really lost. Should i be applying for vacation schemes now? or not until the next cycle?
Original post by chulme87
hi everyone. im just about to start my second year of LLB, im not sure if its just my university that are useless with advising us on what we should be doing to ensure we become a successful solicitor but im feeling really lost. Should i be applying for vacation schemes now? or not until the next cycle?

Have a look on Chambers Student, they have some good guides to the pathways.
I just wanted ask as to how picky Sidley Austin are with grades, as I know US firms are notoriously academic. I have a high 2.1 from UCL will this be enough if other areas of my app are strong? Any advice greatly appreciated.
How many Vac Schemes should one apply for?

Is 8 too many? but 4 too few?
Original post by farringdone

I think apply to as many as you can AS LONG AS they are quality applications.
Original post by farringdone

Apply to as many as you can. But make sure you spend enough time on each.
It will vary from person to person in terms of how busy they are and how early they start.
10-15 is probably on the higher end. As long as they're good applications, that gives you a very good shot.
Bird and Bird applied for. It begins!
Reply 35
Hi all!

Was wondering if anyone has been invited to interview for Jones Day for winter VS applications? My referee responded to the reference request earlier this week, and I think I’ve read that they start interviewing for the winter VS in September, so I’m not sure what to think
Original post by UncertainGrad
Bird and Bird applied for. It begins!

Good luck!

I'm halfway through the Pinsent Masons application. Submitted DWF last week.
what year of study is everyone that has applied for vacation schemes?
Original post by chulme87
what year of study is everyone that has applied for vacation schemes?

I'm a third-year on a four-year course :smile:
I've noticed this question has been touched on before, but is six too few applications to make?

I'm being fast-tracked through the VS applications for Linklaters and DLA Piper (a perk of attending their first-year schemes), and want to apply for Eversheds Sutherland and Freshfields. I'm also quite interested in Allen & Overy and Herbert Smith Freehills, and am almost certain to apply for those too.

Which firms are you all applying to? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending