The Student Room Group

Engineering at uni

Hi,
I’m in year 12 and very keen to study engineering at Cambridge, could everyone perhaps give me tips on the kind of things I should be doing over the next year?
Also does anyone have any advice for how I could choose the branch of engineering to study for when I apply to other unis?
Thanks xxx
Get as high grades as possible, people on the University of Cambridge subforum will probably be able to better advise you on what else to do.

You can read about the disciplines and figure out which ones you like, and you can also consider applying to other general engineering programs as a number of places offer them now e.g. Sheffield, Warwick, Durham.
Reply 2
You should be doing “super curricular activities”, academic things beyond the a level syllabus. This could be attending the Cambridge university engineering masterclasses, attending other lectures/ talks/ events, reading books or articles, watching documentaries, listening to podcasts, etc. Also I would think that having some engineering work experience is important as well, especially as many other universities have a year in industry. You should start looking at different companies or contacting them as well as see what they can offer.

Quick Reply

Latest