The Student Room Group

Theoretical perspectives on reflection in profesional development

Hi to all
As part of my CACHE Early years Educator Level3 I have been asked to share my research about theoretical perspectives on the relation in professional development
Here what I found.

Theoretical perspectives on reflection in professional development

After long research, I found that there are two theories that have an influence in helping people their reflective progress.

1 Kolb’s learning cycle (1984)
David Kolb proposes and publishes learning style model and he develops his learning style inventory. The experiential learning theory has two levels
1 Four stage cycle
2 four separate learners style.
His learning state involves concepts which could be applied in a range of situation.
The Experiential Learning Cycle
1 concrete experience - a new experience or situation is encountered or a reinterpretation of existing experience
2 Reflective observation of the new experience particular importance are any inconsistencies between experience and understanding
3 Abstract Conceptualization- a reflection that gives rise to the new idea or gets modification on the existing concept
4 Active experimentation - implements the ideas to the word around and watch what happen
You can see the effective learning when a person progresses through the stages.

Having experience

observing and reflect

Analysis and conclusions

Resulting in the new experience

The learning style

Diverging - (feeling and watching) - describe people who prefer to watch rather do and gets more information and uses their imagination in solving problems.

Assimilating (watching and thinking) people need a very good explanation rather than a practical opportunity.

Converging (doing and thinking) people are able to solve the problem and make decisions by finding a solution. They prefer the practical task

Accommodating (doing and feeling) people use others analysis and prefers practical approach

Gibbs reflective cycle
Gibbs published his reflective cycle in 1988 in his book “Learning by Doing” His cycle encourage people to think systematically about experience having during the situation or activity. The cycle could be used as structured in phrases what makes people think in more detail about the activities or and situations. It also makes people aware of their own actions and behaviour and how they can adjust and change it, by looking at positive and negative impacts and what they can learn from it.
The cycle start from DESCRIPTION then moved to FEELINGS, EVALUATION, ANALYSIS, CONCLUSION moved to ACTION PLAN and backs to the DESCRIPTION.

DESCRIPTION - describing the activity or event by asking questions

What happened

When did happen

Where did it happen

Who is involve

What did I do myself

What other people did

What was the result of those actions

FEELINGS- the main point is to do not talk or comments about the feeling as they do not need to be evaluated or judged. Those questions below might help

What did you feel leading up this event/activity?

What did you feel during the event?

What did you feel after the event

What do you think other people felt during the event

How do you think others are feeling about the event now

EVALUATION - the step when you ask yourself about the experience whether was good or bad. The following question will help in this step

What went well during the activity/ event

-why was that

What did not go well

Why was that

What was your involvement

What was the other people involvement

ANALYSIS is the step where you find out what have you learn from the event or situation. The experience will give you the knowledge for the future situations or event Usually the negative and positive experience will be written down individually.

CONCLUSIONS - is a step where you look at yourself from distance and ask what else you could do in this situation.

ACTION PLAN - the last step is about the actions that are developed for future situations or events

Anyone can use the cycle. If we are only ready and open to actively change ourself this reflective cycle will help you to do it. This method is good for all kind of situation and can evaluate not only event or activity but also incidents and accidents happening in the early years setting. Can also be used to reflect on our practice and activities prepared for the children or can be used by the managers to do the supervision about the ways we work and behave.

Thank you and I welcome all comments
Reply 1
Original post by Kruszynka
Hi to all
As part of my CACHE Early years Educator Level3 I have been asked to share my research about theoretical perspectives on the relation in professional development
Here what I found.

Theoretical perspectives on reflection in professional development

After long research, I found that there are two theories that have an influence in helping people their reflective progress.

1 Kolb’s learning cycle (1984)
David Kolb proposes and publishes learning style model and he develops his learning style inventory. The experiential learning theory has two levels
1 Four stage cycle
2 four separate learners style.
His learning state involves concepts which could be applied in a range of situation.
The Experiential Learning Cycle
1 concrete experience - a new experience or situation is encountered or a reinterpretation of existing experience
2 Reflective observation of the new experience particular importance are any inconsistencies between experience and understanding
3 Abstract Conceptualization- a reflection that gives rise to the new idea or gets modification on the existing concept
4 Active experimentation - implements the ideas to the word around and watch what happen
You can see the effective learning when a person progresses through the stages.

Having experience

observing and reflect

Analysis and conclusions

Resulting in the new experience

The learning style

Diverging - (feeling and watching) - describe people who prefer to watch rather do and gets more information and uses their imagination in solving problems.

Assimilating (watching and thinking) people need a very good explanation rather than a practical opportunity.

Converging (doing and thinking) people are able to solve the problem and make decisions by finding a solution. They prefer the practical task

Accommodating (doing and feeling) people use others analysis and prefers practical approach

Gibbs reflective cycle
Gibbs published his reflective cycle in 1988 in his book “Learning by Doing” His cycle encourage people to think systematically about experience having during the situation or activity. The cycle could be used as structured in phrases what makes people think in more detail about the activities or and situations. It also makes people aware of their own actions and behaviour and how they can adjust and change it, by looking at positive and negative impacts and what they can learn from it.
The cycle start from DESCRIPTION then moved to FEELINGS, EVALUATION, ANALYSIS, CONCLUSION moved to ACTION PLAN and backs to the DESCRIPTION.

DESCRIPTION - describing the activity or event by asking questions

What happened

When did happen

Where did it happen

Who is involve

What did I do myself

What other people did

What was the result of those actions

FEELINGS- the main point is to do not talk or comments about the feeling as they do not need to be evaluated or judged. Those questions below might help

What did you feel leading up this event/activity?

What did you feel during the event?

What did you feel after the event

What do you think other people felt during the event

How do you think others are feeling about the event now

EVALUATION - the step when you ask yourself about the experience whether was good or bad. The following question will help in this step

What went well during the activity/ event

-why was that

What did not go well

Why was that

What was your involvement

What was the other people involvement

ANALYSIS is the step where you find out what have you learn from the event or situation. The experience will give you the knowledge for the future situations or event Usually the negative and positive experience will be written down individually.

CONCLUSIONS - is a step where you look at yourself from distance and ask what else you could do in this situation.

ACTION PLAN - the last step is about the actions that are developed for future situations or events

Anyone can use the cycle. If we are only ready and open to actively change ourself this reflective cycle will help you to do it. This method is good for all kind of situation and can evaluate not only event or activity but also incidents and accidents happening in the early years setting. Can also be used to reflect on our practice and activities prepared for the children or can be used by the managers to do the supervision about the ways we work and behave.

Thank you and I welcome all comments

Hello, I am also studying this same course and I would like to contribute by sharing my research regarding this.
I began research on Kolb’s learning cycle then also moved onto Gibb’s reflective cycle- here it what I found:

In order to help us to reflect on our learning, David Kolb published a learning style model also known as Kolb’s learning cycle. The cycle is represented by four separate stages. The first stage begins with a concrete experience which is doing or having an experience therefore within an early years setting environment this could be carrying out an activity with a group of children such as teaching a group of children how to use some scissors. Following on from the concrete experience is the reflective experience whereby the individual reviews and reflects on their experience. In this case, the individual would reflect on the activity with the children and consider which parts of the activity went well and which elements could be improved. The next stage, is abstract conceptualisation which refers to developing new ideas. For example, following the activity with the scissors, this stage of the cycle may result in the individual deciding to adapt the activity to make this more interesting and engaging for the children such as cutting different shapes that they are familiar with. Finally, the last stage of the cycle is active experimentation whereby the individual puts these new ideas into practice therefore in this example the individual would repeat the activity but putting into practice their new idea of children cutting out shapes to make the activity more interesting.
This model can be applied and used to many people within their work place. The cycle supports the idea of an individual being able to reflect on their own practice and consequently putting into action changes before then reviewing their practice again. This allows for an effective way of reflective and constantly improving on your work supporting the idea of professional development.

Another theoretical perspective on reflection in professional development I discovered from my research is Gibb’s reflective cycle. This cycle involves reflecting upon an event or incident, whether that may be positive or negative, and thinking about the feelings as well as generally evaluating the whole experience. The cycle begins with the individual describing what happened perhaps detailing information such as when it happened, where and who was involved. Following on from this, the person will consider the feelings that the event triggered. The aim of this stage is to simply identify the emotions felt before or during or after the event rather than discuss this in detail.
Following on from this is the evaluation stage where the individual will then ask themselves whether the experience was good or bad and why this may be the case. For example, the individual would ask themselves questions such as “what was positive/negative?” Or “what went well/not so well?”. This encourages the individual to look objectively at their own experience and be able to evaluate their own performance. The next stage is analysis whereby the individual considers why the experience may have been negative. For example, the individual may have been having a bad day or perhaps lack of knowledge or experience may have affected the individual experience resulting in a negative outcome.

Once the individual has passed this stage, they must conclude their experience and think about how this could be used to improve their own practice. For example, this could be rethinks personal life outside of work to ensure this does not interfere or affect their work. Alternatively, the individual could conclude that they need to carry out further research or undergo training relating to a particular area of work in order to improve their practice. Therefore the final stage is the action plan whereby the individual will liaise with their supervisor and agree on an action plan, perhaps to prevent the situation from occurring again if this was a negative experience. In addition, the individual and their supervisor could agree on a date in which to review progress and observe if further improvements need to be made.
Hello everyone
What brilliant summaries and thoughts on theoretical perspectives on reflection in relation to professional development using these theories. I’d like to join this discussion also by talking about about what I’ve found out considering Johns five stage model (2000) theoretical perspectives on reflection in relation to professional development. He has the most recent and up to date theory which is clear to understand. It is based on five stages that make you break down the experience and reflect on the process and outcome of it. He believed and suggested in his research, thoughts and feelings by (looking inwards) and that the (look outward) is reviewing the incident or situation including your actions in the situation and how ethical they were and looking at the external factors that influenced you. Which in turn encourages you as a early years practitioner to explore how the experience has changed and improved your own practice.

The five stages are:
Description of the experience: what were the significant factors?
Reflection: what was I trying to achieve, and what were the consequences?
Influencing factors: what factors affected my decision making?
Could I have dealt with it better? What other choices did I have?
What will change because of this experience? How has this experience changed my knowledge and personal awareness?

Looking at this newer theoretical perspectives is really interesting when realising it regularly gets put into practice without realising it on a daily basis. But especially when I’m reading your above comments and summary on Kolb’s Experiential Learning Cycle (1984). That he had an experiential learning theory that involved the acquisition of abstract concepts. Which he applied flexibility in a range of situations. That we are able to develop new concepts that are provided by new experiences.

Its represented by a four stage learning cycle in which the learner 'touches all the bases’:

Concrete Experience: Immerse yourself in the experience. What happened?
Reflective Observation: What did you notice about the experience? What did it make you think about?
Abstract Conceptualization: How might you change things?
Active Experimentation: Try out you new ideas.

Kolb’s Experiential Learning Cycle (1984)

David Kolb's experiential learning theory involves the acquisition of abstract concepts that can be applied flexibly in a range of situations. In Kolb’s theory, the impetus for the development of new concepts is provided by new experiences.

Kolb's experiential learning style theory is typically represented by a four stage learning cycle in which the learner 'touches all the bases’:

Concrete Experience: Immerse yourself in the experience. What happened?
Reflective Observation: What did you notice about the experience? What did it make you think about?
Abstract Conceptualization: How might you change things?
Active Experimentation: Try out you new ideas.

Effective learning is seen when a person progresses through a cycle of all four stages, resulting in new experiences. They both look at the process of reflection different although they are all based on the same views. That you have learning when progressing though a cycle or stage giving you new experience’s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending