The Student Room Group

Engineering without Maths

So I have a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in applied science, where I did biology, chemistry and physics. I ended up getting D*DD. I am told however this isn't good enough for an engineering degree, civil or aerospace. Some actual civil and aerospace students, (masters and bachelors) have said there is a lot of maths but not as much as you'd think, and it's hard but definitely do-able even with poor mathematical skills as long as you study, whereas others, mainly people on online forums and course directors, claim that I would most likely not stand a chance, even if I try my best due to the lack of mathematical skills. I am recommended to do a foundation year, however a lot of people are discouraging me from doing this, as they say it's too simple, a waste of a year AND money. These are the same people that say that I can catch up in the first year since its mainly just recapping. My math skills are definitely not great, but I am willing to do a whole lot to make it a lot better. What should I do? The clock is ticking... :frown:
Original post by Dyari_
What should I do? The clock is ticking... :frown:

One option is to delay university for a year, get a job at a local engineering firm to build up practical experience and a solid CV while taking a maths A level at a local College night school course or similar. Students who take a year out tend to be much more mature and on a more solid financial footing when they get to university so often have a better start to their degree.

Quick Reply

Latest