The Student Room Group

How to do the reading for essay based degree?

Say i am reading a book to prepare for tomorrow’s seminar, what is the most effective way of reading? If i just read and that’s it, nothing stays in my mind. Do you think it is a good idea to simplify the reading you have to do by taking simple notes, so it stays in your mind? I’m really confused on how to prepare for seminars and how to get the most out of reading. Can someone help? I study politics by the way

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
anyone?
Reply 3
you only need to know the main points of the argument. can you simply the argument in your own words? did you agree or disagree? can you answer the seminar questions?

if nothing stuck, i'm guessing you didn't understand said argument or didn't know how it related to your course work, am i right? what's the book?
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
you only need to know the main points of the argument. can you simply the argument in your own words? did you agree or disagree? can you answer the seminar questions?

if nothing stuck, i'm guessing you didn't understand said argument or didn't know how it related to your course work, am i right? what's the book?

the book is called Politics: a unified introduction to how democracy works. It’s juts the first chapter. It just explains the basics of Politics, i don’t think there’s anything to agree or disagree on. it’s going to be my first seminar so i don’t know how nothing works
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Note down any observations or questions. possible answers. later it will be arguments, which premises you might dispute etc
The most productive scenario involves developing a systematic approach. So map your understanding of the content (key themes, arguments, actors), and locate those within the context of the contemporary timeframe, and consider their precedents and subsequent impacts, and any relevant contrasts for all of the above. And start at least 3 days before seminar.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
as it’s going to be my first seminar ever, would it be more laid back? i’m still settling in. Everything’s been a rush
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
Note down any observations or questions. possible answers. later it will be arguments, which premises you might dispute etc

Original post by DrSocSciences
The most productive scenario involves developing a systematic approach. So map your understanding of the content (key themes, arguments, actors), and locate those within the context of the contemporary timeframe, and consider their precedents and subsequent impacts, and any relevant contrasts for all of the above. And start at least 3 days before seminar.

as it’s going to be my first seminar ever, would it be more laid back? i’m still settling in. Everything’s been a rush
I started almost a month ago and I’m gonna start the readings today 😂. I’ve got atleast 3 chapters to read so I’d say you’re definitely on track. I do this all the time but I wished I started earlier so it’s good you’re doing so
Original post by zombie2233

No idea how it will be. This is just a suggested method for once you’d settled in.
Original post by OR321
I started almost a month ago and I’m gonna start the readings today 😂. I’ve got atleast 3 chapters to read so I’d say you’re definitely on track. I do this all the time but I wished I started earlier so it’s good you’re doing so

wow really? how did your seminars go then? Wasn’t you confused or anything because you didn’t do the reading? didn’t you get put on the spot or something?
Original post by DrSocSciences
No idea how it will be. This is just a suggested method for once you’d settled in.

ok thanks for your help
wow really? how did your seminars go then? Wasn’t you confused or anything because you didn’t do the reading? didn’t you get put on the spot or something?

The seminars at my uni are the same as lectures tbh. They’ll say a load things but do the odd group work here and there. They just upload PowerPoints which tell you what readings need doing and anything extra to look at. Never got put on the spot, so far. I have been a bit confused though with a few things so I’m hoping to get it sorted out by the end of the week and start a routine like yours, to read before the seminars
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by OR321
The seminars at my uni are the same as lectures tbh. They’ll say a load things but do the odd group work here and there. They just upload PowerPoints which tell you what readings need doing and anything extra to look at. Never got put on the spot, so far. I have been a bit confused though with a few things so I’m hoping to get it sorted out by the end of the week and start a routine like yours, to read before the seminars

oh i see. i though professors usually pick on the people that don’t speak up or something and fire questions at them, which worries me lol. also what uni do you go if you don’t mind saying
Original post by OR321

oh wait i think i’ve met you before, you go MMU right?
Reply 16
oh i see. i though professors usually pick on the people that don’t speak up or something and fire questions at them, which worries me lol. also what uni do you go if you don’t mind saying

This shouldn't tend to happen too much because it is a bad pedagogical approach that fosters intimidation and/or bad feeling

But you have to bear in mind that the seminars are supposed to be built around collaborative participation, and that involves you actually having something to say and questions to ask and work through
oh wait i think i’ve met you before, you go MMU right?

Haha yeah. Wbu?
Original post by OR321
Haha yeah. Wbu?

essex remember? we were talking about freshers
essex remember? we were talking about freshers

Ahh yeah. Have you managed to settle in more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending