The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 1
I don't know why but obviously the tests and assignments are more difficult at uni. I'm thinking that maybe they have more tests etc and the OU uses more assignments which are done with use of study materials.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
lincs_b
I don't know why but obviously the tests and assignments are more difficult at uni. I'm thinking that maybe they have more tests etc and the OU uses more assignments which are done with use of study materials.

Absolute rubbish.:yep: The OU simply uses a different marking system, using the whole scale up to 100%. There is absolutely no, other, difference between the academic standard at the OU and elsewhere.

I have just completed an Advanced Diploma at Oxford University and I typically achieved marks of 70-75% (A grade), at the OU the same standard of work I was submitting brought me marks in the 85-90% (A grade).

As you can see it is simply a matter of different marking systems. The bar is not set higher at the OU, your 70% at the OU would roughly equate to 60% at a brick uni.
Reply 3
Novocastrian
Absolute rubbish.:yep: The OU simply uses a different marking system, using the whole scale up to 100%. There is absolutely no, other, difference between the academic standard at the OU and elsewhere.

I have just completed an Advanced Diploma at Oxford University and I typically achieved marks of 70-75% (A grade), at the OU the same standard of work I was submitting brought me marks in the 85-90% (A grade).

As you can see it is simply a matter of different marking systems. The bar is not set higher at the OU, your 70% at the OU would roughly equate to 60% at a brick uni.

Sorry I just presumed that the test and assignments would be harder and you would therefore not be able to reach such a high percentage mark.
lincs_b
Sorry I just presumed that the test and assignments would be harder and you would therefore not be able to reach such a high percentage mark.

No need to apologise. Just don't let it happen again in the future! :wink:

Latest